Readers Monthly update for December 2017

Readers Monthly update for December 2017

Chris Koerner-2
Howdy,
This is the monthly update from the Readers team at the foundation for
December 2017.

As always, feedback and questions are welcome.

== Discussions ==

=== Apps===
* Android made 2 releases: a major release introduced (amongst other
things) a fully customisable Explore feed, a new and improved
Randomiser, and by popular request a new Black theme that optimises
battery life on AMOLED displays. A subsequent minor release fixed a
few bugs/performance issues. [0]

=== Web ===
* Performance testing of the new PDF renderer is giving hopeful results [1]
* New summary endpoint, created to provide better page previews is
ready for deployment to all projects
* Initial bugs with download to PDF button on mobile now resolved

=== Reading Infrastructure ===
* Deployed the ReadingLists extension and Reading List Service to
production. [2] [3]

=== New Readers ===
* New Reader updates can be found at Meta. [4]

=== Multimedia ===
* Data Analysts Chelsy and Mikhail have completed baseline metrics for
Wikimedia Commons to understand and measure the impact the Structured
Data project will have. [5]

=== Discovery ===
The Discovery team provides weekly updates. Here are their updates for
the month.
* 2017-12-04 [6]
* 2017-12-11 [7]

[0] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wikipedia&hl=en_GB
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ReadingLists
[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Reading_List_Service
[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers/Updates
[5] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Baseline_Metrics_for_Structured_Data_on_Wikimedia_Commons
[6] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates/2017-12-04
[7] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates/2017-12-11

---

Subscribe to receive theses updates as on-wiki notifications or opt-in email.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Newsletter:Readers_Monthly

The archive of all past updates can be found on MediaWiki.org:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Status_updates

Yours,
Chris Koerner
Community Liaison

Re: [WikimediaMobile] Readers Monthly update for December 2017

Kaartic Sivaraam
On Monday 08 January 2018 08:50 PM, Chris Koerner wrote:
> * Initial bugs with download to PDF button on mobile now resolved

Just to be sure, I hope you are not referring to T182059 which has not
been resolved yet.

[not referencing the related tasks/pages seems to have it's own issues ;-)]

--
Kaartic

Quote: "Be creative. Be adventurous. Be original. And above all else, be
young." - Wonder Woman

Re: [WikimediaMobile] Readers Monthly update for December 2017

Chris Koerner-2
>[not referencing the related tasks/pages seems to have it's own issues ;-)]

A fair criticism.

The task I should have linked to was probably:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T163472

Particularly this subtask: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T182197

T182059 is still being worked on!

I also asked the team product manager to add links for items that didn't
reference any documentation or tasks in the archive. Once they're added
them they'll be at the archive of the update at the link below. My
apologies for not adding them sooner!

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Status_updates/2017-12

Yours,
Chris Koerner