Readers monthly update for June 2017

Chris Koerner-2
Hello,
Here we are again. Another month, and another update from the Readers
(previously Reading) department at the Wikimedia Foundation. One more month
of these and we'll have a turkey. :) [0]

==Discussions==

=== Apps===
* Android released an update improving offline storage and Reading List
experience.
* Android began work on support the zim archive format in the app, based on
Community Wishlist request. [1]
* iOS released version 5.5.0 which includes the all new Places tab, which
focuses on geolocation based discovery. This update also improves how "In
the News" look and work, adds a more prominent search box and other
improvements.
* iOS began work on 5.6.0 which will support reading modes (specifically a
dark mode for night reading) and "On this Day" content in the feed.
* Survey results from both apps on reading lists usage was completed, with
findings available at Reading lists survey results. [2]

=== Web ===
* Moving the intro above the infobox on mobile web lead a significant
increase on performance metrics [3]

=== New Readers ===
* New Reader updates can be found at Meta [4]

=== Multimedia ===
* A UX design heuristic evaluation was conducted and results turned into
Phabricator tasks for 3D file (STL) support. A number of design refinements
are being turned into a specification. The team has been prioritizing and
working on 3D tasks in anticipation of a future launch. In the forthcoming
month, additional consultation will be done on the wikis about potential
moderation considerations for the 3D file (STL) type. [5]

=== Discovery ===
The Discovery team provides weekly updates. Here are their updates for June.
* 2017-06-05 [6]
* 2017-06-12 [7]
* 2017-06-19 [8]
* 2017-06-26 [9]

[0] https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Ten-pin_bowling
[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Reading#CW2016-R077
[2]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Apps/Synced_Reading_Lists/Reading_Lists_Survey
[3]
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/15/investigating_a_performance_improvement/
[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers/Updates
[5]
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/48/query/GMIMsF0oKK9t/?filter=GMIMsF0oKK9t&order=priority
[6] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates/2017-06-05
[7] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates/2017-06-12
[8] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates/2017-06-19
[9] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates/2017-06-26
---

The archive of all past updates can be found on MediaWiki.org:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Status_updates

Yours,
Chris Koerner
Community Liaison

Re: Readers monthly update for June 2017

Jan Dittrich

> === Multimedia ===
> * A UX design heuristic evaluation was conducted and results turned into
> Phabricator tasks for 3D file (STL) support.

That sounds interesting! Is the analysis shared somewhere? I told people
about heuristic analysis and I would be very happy to have some practical
demonstration of what one can expect when I create one. (It seems less
known than testing by/with users so it is particularly helpful to have a
graspable representation)

Jan

> [...]
> [2]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Apps/Synced_
> Reading_Lists/Reading_Lists_Survey
> [3]
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/15/
> investigating_a_performance_improvement/
> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers/Updates
> [5]
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/48/query/
> GMIMsF0oKK9t/?filter=GMIMsF0oKK9t&order=priority
> [6] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates/2017-06-05
> [7] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates/2017-06-12
> [8] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates/2017-06-19
> [9] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates/2017-06-26
> ---
>
> The archive of all past updates can be found on MediaWiki.org:

Jan Dittrich
UX Design/ User Research

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.

Re: Readers monthly update for June 2017

Chris Koerner-2
Hey Jan,
I asked Nizar who did the analysis.
He has updated the phab card with the details:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T166698

Yours,
Chris Koerner
Community Liaison