Quantcast

Ready for early translation: Tech News #08 (2017)

Ready for early translation: Tech News #08 (2017)

Johan Jönsson-2

Direct translation link:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2017%2F08&action=page

I'm planning to send the newsletter on Monday afternoon (UTC), i.e.
Monday morning PT. The existing translations will be posted on the
wikis in that language. Deadlines:

There may be a few more edits by Friday, but the existing content
should generally remain fairly stable. I will let you know on Friday
in any case.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. As
always, I appreciate your help and feedback.

(If you did not translate Tech News in the last few weeks, see this email:

Please do tell me if there's anything I can help you with.)

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News #08 (2017)

Stryn@Wikimedia
Hi,

just a few questions regarding translation memory:

"You can join the next meeting with the VisualEditor team..."
I wonder why the translation memory don't give me the time-localized one used in https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translations:Tech/News/2017/07/20/fi (the same happened last week, I had to copypaste it from the previous letter).

Same with the
'''''[[$technews|Tech news]]''' prepared by...
It's still giving me the message "prepared by tech ambassadors" when it should suggest me the new one, "prepared by tech news writers". I always need to copypaste it from the previous one and it takes a lot of time! ;)

Stryn
Suomenkielisen Wikipedian ylläpitäjä & osoitepaljastaja / Admin and checkuser on the Finnish Wikipedia
Wikidatan ylläpitäjä / Admin on Wikidata
Meta-Wikin ylläpitäjä / Admin on Meta-Wiki
Ylivalvoja / Steward

Direct translation link:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2017%2F08&action=page

I'm planning to send the newsletter on Monday afternoon (UTC), i.e.
Monday morning PT. The existing translations will be posted on the
wikis in that language. Deadlines:

There may be a few more edits by Friday, but the existing content
should generally remain fairly stable. I will let you know on Friday
in any case.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. As
always, I appreciate your help and feedback.

(If you did not translate Tech News in the last few weeks, see this email:

Please do tell me if there's anything I can help you with.)

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News #08 (2017)

Niklas Laxström
> just a few questions regarding translation memory:

Hi,

in short, it is a known issue (T101236).

To alleviate performance issues, the algorithm of the translation
memory was changed as follows: load N items in the source language
that match most closely to the string in translation. Then load the
translations for them (if any exist). If we do not get more results,
repeat the same for M more items. Currently N = 100 and M = 500.

It so seems that if there are many untranslated strings, we often fail
to choose the ones which would have translations. In addition I think
we have some sort of matching and ranking problem as well, since top
600 matches should definitely contain the previous translations.

It is easy to rule out an updating problem, since I can find those
translations with translation search [1]. And this search [2] shows
that there are many untranslated ones.

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:SearchTranslations&filter=translated&language=fi&query=You+can+join+the+next+meeting+with+the+VisualEditor+team
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:SearchTranslations&filter=untranslated&language=fi&query=You+can+join+the+next+meeting+with+the+VisualEditor+team

You are probably interested when this will be fixed. I don't know the
answer for that. It is a non-trivial amount of a work, and it requires
some expertise in algorithms suitable for this purpose. Comments (in
here and Phabricator) which explain how this issue affects you and
wastes you time and how extensive the issue is are welcome and helpful
to show that it is an important issue.

  -Niklas

OK, I have commented on https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T101236 trying to explain how this issue affects us. Any individual translators who feel affected by this, feel free to add something to the ticket (or here, if you don't want to use Phabricator).

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Direct translation link:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2017%2F08&action=page

I'm planning to send the newsletter on Monday afternoon (UTC), i.e.
Monday morning PT. The existing translations will be posted on the
wikis in that language. Deadlines:

There may be a few more edits by Friday, but the existing content
should generally remain fairly stable. I will let you know on Friday
in any case.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. As
always, I appreciate your help and feedback.

(If you did not translate Tech News in the last few weeks, see this email:

Please do tell me if there's anything I can help you with.)

The text of the newsletter is now final. Two new items have been added since yesterday; one has been rephrased without need for re-translation. There won't be any more changes; you can translate safely.

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News #08 (2017)

Johan Jönsson-2
On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Direct translation link:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2017%2F08&action=page

Thank you all for your help! It is deeply appreciated. The newsletter
has now been delivered (in 19 languages) to subscribers across wikis.

//Johan Jönsson