Quantcast

Ready for early translation: Tech News #12 (2017)

Ready for early translation: Tech News #12 (2017)

Johan Jönsson-2

Direct translation link:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2017%2F12&action=page

I'm planning to send the newsletter on Monday afternoon (UTC), i.e.
Monday morning PT. The existing translations will be posted on the
wikis in that language. Deadlines:

There may be a few more edits by Friday, but the existing content
should generally remain fairly stable. I will let you know on Friday
in any case.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. As
always, I appreciate your help and feedback.

(If you did not translate Tech News in the last few months, see this email:

Please do tell me if there's anything I can help you with.)

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News #12 (2017)

Vira Motorko
The MediaWiki-Vagrant portable development environment has been updated to use Debian Jessie. This means
​​
local
​​
development and testing will be more like on
​​
the majority of Wikimedia production servers.

As far as I understand,
development and testing on
the majority of Wikimedia production servers has a certain look/flow/whatever, and with this change
local
​​
development and testing will be more similar to it. Do I understand this correctly?

You can also use the keyboard shortcut
​​
{{key press|Ctrl|Shift|X}} on PCs or {{key press|Cmd|Shift|X}} on Macs.
I'm not sure, that every wiki that receives Tech News has ​
{{key press
​}} template. Well, if it has then it's ok.​

--
Vira Motorko
project manager, Wikimedia Ukraine non-profit organisation

Are you saving your documents in free formats? ;)
Help save natural resources – please think twice before printing this e-mail or any attachments.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Vira Motorko <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> The MediaWiki-Vagrant portable development environment has been updated to
>> use Debian Jessie. This means
>> local
>> development and testing will be more like on
>> the majority of Wikimedia production servers.
>

> As far as I understand,
> development and testing on
> the majority of Wikimedia production servers has a certain
> look/flow/whatever, and with this change
> local
> development and testing will be more similar to it. Do I understand this
> correctly?

Yes.

>> You can also use the keyboard shortcut
>> {{key press|Ctrl|Shift|X}} on PCs or {{key press|Cmd|Shift|X}} on Macs.
>
> I'm not sure, that every wiki that receives Tech News has
> {{key press
> }} template. Well, if it has then it's ok.

Good point. Thanks!

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Direct translation link:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2017%2F12&action=page

The text of the newsletter is now final. Three new items have been added since yesterday. (For a couple of hours, there was a small typo in one of these new items, that talked about small Wikipedia wikis – it should have been Wikimedia wikis.) There won't be any more changes; you can translate safely.

Nick (Quiddity) will distribute the newsletter on Monday, and take responsibility for the next issue.

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News #12 (2017)

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:41 AM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Direct translation link:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2017%2F12&action=page

The text of the newsletter is now final. Three new items have been added since yesterday. (For a couple of hours, there was a small typo in one of these new items, that talked about small Wikipedia wikis – it should have been Wikimedia wikis.) There won't be any more changes; you can translate safely.

Nick (Quiddity) will distribute the newsletter on Monday, and take responsibility for the next issue.

Thank you all for your help! It is deeply appreciated. The newsletter has now been delivered (in 17 languages) to subscribers across wikis.

--
Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
Community Liaison, WMF