Ready for early translation: Tech News #22 (2018)

Ready for early translation: Tech News #22 (2018)

Johan Jönsson-2

Direct translation link:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2018%2F22&action=page

I plan to send the newsletter on Monday afternoon (UTC), i.e. Monday
morning PT. The existing translations will be posted on the wikis in
that language. Deadlines:

There may be a more edits by Friday but the existing content should
generally remain fairly stable. I will let you know on Friday in any
case.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. As
always, we appreciate your help and feedback.

(If you haven't translated Tech News previously, see this email:

If I can help you with anything, please ask!)

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News #22 (2018)

Johan Jönsson-2
On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 1:19 AM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Direct translation link:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2018%2F22&action=page
>
> I plan to send the newsletter on Monday afternoon (UTC), i.e. Monday
> morning PT. The existing translations will be posted on the wikis in
> that language. Deadlines:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/For_contributors#The_deadlines
>
> There may be a more edits by Friday but the existing content should
> generally remain fairly stable. I will let you know on Friday in any
> case.
>
> Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. As
> always, we appreciate your help and feedback.
>
> (If you haven't translated Tech News previously, see this email:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/translators-l/2017-January/003773.html
>
> If I can help you with anything, please ask!)

The text of the newsletter is now final. No new items have been added
since yesterday. There won't be any more changes; you can translate
safely.

This is a long one, but it has some cool or important changes – global
preferences, lexigraphical data on Wikidata, content translation
drafts being removed if they haven't been edited for a year etc.

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News #22 (2018)

Kunal Mehta
Sorry for being late, but I added one item to this issue[1] (I
accidentally added it to the wrong one earlier). It's about a decently
large change to the MonoBook skin, so I hope it can still be included.

I think it will require someone to mark the page for translation before
it can be translated.

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tech%2FNews%2F2018%2F22&type=revision&diff=18078123&oldid=18077603

Sorry again,
-- Legoktm

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 1:53 AM, Kunal Mehta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry for being late, but I added one item to this issue[1] (I
> accidentally added it to the wrong one earlier). It's about a decently
> large change to the MonoBook skin, so I hope it can still be included.
>
> I think it will require someone to mark the page for translation before
> it can be translated.

Sorry, didn't see this until now. I think you actually did the right
thing from the very beginning – if an issue has been frozen and the
translators told they can ignore the issue if it's been translated,
it's better to add it to the next one unless the change a) breaks
things (so editors need to know) or b) changes other things that have
been promised in the newsletter (e.g. a MediaWiki version was rolled
back). A fair number of translations are already finished now, and
this change shouldn't break anything, so let's put it in 2018/23. (:

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News #22 (2018)

Johan Jönsson-2
On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 1:19 AM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Direct translation link:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2018%2F22&action=page

Thanks for the translations, everyone.

Just wanted to note that the reason Tech News isn't being delivered to
the wikis right now is because of a MassMessage issue:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T195500
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T195782

I'll make sure to get it to the wikis as soon as that has been fixed.

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 11:25 PM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 1:19 AM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Direct translation link:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2018%2F22&action=page

Thanks for the translations, everyone.

Just wanted to note that the reason Tech News isn't being delivered to
the wikis right now is because of a MassMessage issue:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T195500
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T195782

I'll make sure to get it to the wikis as soon as that has been fixed.

Thank you all for your help! It is deeply appreciated. The newsletter has now been delivered (in 19 languages) to 772 pages across wikis.

//Johan Jönsson