Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Tomasz W. Kozlowski
Hello,
the latest issue of the Tech News bulletin is ready for translation at:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Tech/News/2014/15

The bulletin will be sent to subscribers on Monday morning (UTC); all
translations existing by that time will be posted on wikis in those
languages.

There might be some edits tomorrow, but the content should remain fairly
stable -- I will let you know as soon as a final version of the issue is
published.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. I
appreciate your help, feedback and involvement.

                 Tomasz

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Tomasz W. Kozlowski
Hi again,
this is just to let you know that I just froze this week's issue of Tech
News and published its final version at
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Tech/News/2014/15>.

No changes have been made to the issue since my last e-mail, so if you
already translated all messages, please do feel free to take a deserved
rest :-)

The bulletin will be distributed to subscribers on Monday morning
according to the publication schedule visible on top of the page on Meta.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. I
appreciate your help, feedback and involvement.

                 Tomasz

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Guillaume Paumier-3
On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 12:13 AM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi again,
> this is just to let you know that I just froze this week's issue of Tech
> News and published its final version at
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Tech/News/2014/15>.

Thank you all for your help. The newsletter and its translations were
delivered to subscribers earlier today.

--
Guillaume Paumier

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Vira Motorko
How many languages this week? =)

Vira Motorko

Help save natural resources – please think twice before printing this e-mail or any attachments.

Vira Motorko wrote:

> How many languages this week? =)

Sixteen! :-)

                 Tomasz

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Philippe Verdy
In fact only 14: exclude German and Korean whose only translations are generic items recurring each week; and possibly Japanese as well that just adds 2 effective items translated (in planned changes, bit none in effective changes).

I wonder why German gets no translation since long; given the number of German Wikimedians.

It's less surprising for Korean even if (South) Korea has excellent level of Internet coverage since long (but also its older and popular cooperative and social platforms, explaining why Wikimedia is not so successful there). But may be most Koreans don't feel the need to translate English (because many of them have excellent education levels and can easily read English; but educated Koreans may have chosen another secondary language than only English, such as Chinese, Thai, Indonesian, Japanese, Spanish or Arabic and would like to get translations from English to their primary Korean language).

Or may be there are specific difficulties for translating technical English to Korean (we are speaking about tech news here, not general news, songs and poems). It's rare to find technical documents written in Korean on the Internet (much more than in Chinese or Japanese).

Vira Motorko wrote:

How many languages this week? =)

Sixteen! :-)

                Tomasz

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Siebrand Mazeland-2
This line is incorrect: "2014, 15. Wort (maandag 07 april 2014)". In English it says "2014, week 15 (Monday 07 April 2014)". In Dutch it should be the same as in English ("week 15"). Where can this be corrected?

Cheers!

Vira Motorko wrote:

How many languages this week? =)

Sixteen! :-)

                Tomasz

Siebrand Mazeland
Kitano ICT

M: +31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Philippe Verdy
This was my fault, nobody noticed it since end of 2013 in the early translation !

https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template%3ATech_news_nav%2Fnl&diff=6868910&oldid=6868410

It is fixed.

Vira Motorko wrote:

How many languages this week? =)

Sixteen! :-)

                Tomasz

Siebrand Mazeland
Kitano ICT

M: +31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Siebrand Mazeland-2
Thank you, Philippe.

Vira Motorko wrote:

How many languages this week? =)

Sixteen! :-)

                Tomasz

Siebrand Mazeland
Kitano ICT

M: <a href="tel:%2B31%206%2050%2069%201239" value="+31650691239" target="_blank">+31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Siebrand Mazeland
Kitano ICT

M: +31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Aya Mahfouz
Hello Everyone,

  I have a small remark concerning the latest tech news. Bawolff changed the frozen issue on Sunday to indicate that MediaWiki was not deployed due to localization issues.

 https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tech%2FNews%2F2014%2F15&diff=8080351&oldid=8071894

Given that I'm usually late in doing my translations, I realized the change just before I leave the page. But most of the translators, mostly the guys who finalize their translations on Saturday, missed the update.

Would it be best for translators to bookmark the current issue to track such sudden changes or is there a better solution?

Kind Regards,
Aya Saif El-yazal Mahfouz

Vira Motorko wrote:

How many languages this week? =)

Sixteen! :-)

                Tomasz

Siebrand Mazeland
Kitano ICT

M: <a href="tel:%2B31%206%2050%2069%201239" value="+31650691239" target="_blank">+31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Siebrand Mazeland
Kitano ICT

M: +31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Bohdan Melnychuk
It wold be nice to notify in here about sudden unexpected changes :) --Base
07.04.2014 22:47, Aya Mahfouz написав(ла):

Vira Motorko wrote:

How many languages this week? =)

Sixteen! :-)

                Tomasz

Siebrand Mazeland
Kitano ICT

M: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B31%206%2050%2069%201239" value="+31650691239" target="_blank">+31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Siebrand Mazeland
Kitano ICT

M: +31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Guillaume Paumier-3
Greetings,

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Aya Mahfouz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>   I have a small remark concerning the latest tech news. Bawolff changed the
> frozen issue on Sunday to indicate that MediaWiki was not deployed due to
> localization issues.

> Would it be best for translators to bookmark the current issue to track such
> sudden changes or is there a better solution?

I usually try to keep track of such changes, and send a notification
to this list, but in this case I missed it. If you notice a
significant change in a frozen issue and no one has yet mentioned it
on this list, please send a short email to the list to let the other
translators know :)

Otherwise, yes, adding the current issue to your watchlist (and
enabling e-mail notifications) is probably the best way to make sure
you're notified when the page is changed.

--
Guillaume Paumier

Re: Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)

Amazon Sec. Team messages-noreply@amazon.com

I realized I forgot to touch "Reply all" and email was sent to Verdy.... :p

-Yena Hong (Revi)
Wikimedian
https://keybase.io/revi
-- Sent from Android --

제목: Re: [Translators-l] Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #15 (2014)
받는사람: <[hidden email]>
참조:

Well, both true for Korean. Most people interested in Tech News can read English without being translated, and there's some difficulties about translations... (Like, I had some discussions about word "Test wiki" with one translator's talk page. It was about if "testwiki" means "Wikis to test" or "[[testwiki:]],[[test2wiki:]] and [[testwikidata:]]".)

-Yena Hong (Revi)
Wikimedian
https://keybase.io/revi
-- Sent from Android --

2014. 4. 8. 오전 1:10에 "Philippe Verdy" <[hidden email]>님이 작성: