Ready for translation: Tech News #05 (2019)

Ready for translation: Tech News #05 (2019)

Johan Jönsson-2

Direct translation link:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2019%2F05&action=page

I plan to send the newsletter on Monday afternoon (UTC), i.e. Monday
morning PT. The existing translations will be posted on the wikis in
that language. Deadlines:

There may be a more edits by Friday but the existing content should
generally remain fairly stable. I will let you know on Friday in any
case.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. As
always, we appreciate your help and feedback.

(If you haven't translated Tech News previously, see this email:

If I can help you with anything, please ask!)

One item might be fixed before the newsletter goes out. In order to
not have outdated info or have to ask you to retranslate, I've added a
brief item we can use instead if it's fixed; I'll remove the incorrect
one before sending out the newsletter on Monday.

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Ready for translation: Tech News #05 (2019)

Sylvain Chiron
Hi,

I have remarks regarding the newsletter.

(1) ‘The Wikimedia servers use HHVM to run the PHP code. They are going
to use PHP7 instead.’ → Does this mean PHP7 will be installed (so this
is an upgrade of PHP) and HHVM will no longer be used? If it’s not the
case, what does ‘instead’ refer to?

(2) Do the two problems talk about the same thing? It looks like it’s
so, but the first one is not fixed while the second one is fixed. ‘When
someone moves a page to a name that already exists that page is
deleted.’ → Is the page that is moved which is deleted?

Sylvain Chiron

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 12:22 AM Sylvain Chiron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have remarks regarding the newsletter.
>
> (1) ‘The Wikimedia servers use HHVM to run the PHP code. They are going
> to use PHP7 instead.’ → Does this mean PHP7 will be installed (so this
> is an upgrade of PHP) and HHVM will no longer be used? If it’s not the
> case, what does ‘instead’ refer to?

It does – the maintainers of HHVM will not maintain PHP language compatibility:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technology/Annual_Plans/FY2019/TEC4:_PHP7_Migration

 Do you think it needs to be clarified?

Indeed. Towards the bottom of my email I wrote this:

> > One item might be fixed before the newsletter goes out. In order to
> > not have outdated info or have to ask you to retranslate, I've added a
> > brief item we can use instead if it's fixed; I'll remove the incorrect
> > one before sending out the newsletter on Monday.

Should have put it at the top, there's no reason for you to read to
the bottom of something you see every week, of course. Do tell me if
you think I should have a different approach in cases like these – my
assumption was that translating another few sentences from the
beginning is less work than potentially going back later, or less
annoying than having your translation become outdated.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 4:51 PM Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Direct translation link:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2019%2F05&action=page
>
> I plan to send the newsletter on Monday afternoon (UTC), i.e. Monday
> morning PT. The existing translations will be posted on the wikis in
> that language. Deadlines:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/For_contributors#The_deadlines
>
> There may be a more edits by Friday but the existing content should
> generally remain fairly stable. I will let you know on Friday in any
> case.
>
> Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. As
> always, we appreciate your help and feedback.
>
> (If you haven't translated Tech News previously, see this email:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/translators-l/2017-January/003773.html
>
> If I can help you with anything, please ask!)
>
> One item might be fixed before the newsletter goes out. In order to
> not have outdated info or have to ask you to retranslate, I've added a
> brief item we can use instead if it's fixed; I'll remove the incorrect
> one before sending out the newsletter on Monday.
>
> //Johan Jönsson

The text of the newsletter is now final. No new items have been added
since yesterday. There won't be any more changes; you can translate
safely.

Le 25/01/2019 à 01:33, Johan Jönsson a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 12:22 AM Sylvain Chiron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> (1) ‘The Wikimedia servers use HHVM to run the PHP code. They are going
>> to use PHP7 instead.’ → Does this mean PHP7 will be installed (so this
>> is an upgrade of PHP) and HHVM will no longer be used? If it’s not the
>> case, what does ‘instead’ refer to?
>
> It does – the maintainers of HHVM will not maintain PHP language compatibility:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technology/Annual_Plans/FY2019/TEC4:_PHP7_Migration

Oh, yeah, I should have explored the link…

>  Do you think it needs to be clarified?

Indeed, as I suspected it described the architecture and then talked
only about a single software layer. In French I preferred to be clearer
and wrote: ‘The Wikimedia servers currently use HHVM to run the PHP
code. They are going to use PHP7, which will substitute the use of HHVM.’

>> (2) Do the two problems talk about the same thing? It looks like it’s
>> so, but the first one is not fixed while the second one is fixed. ‘When
>> someone moves a page to a name that already exists that page is
>> deleted.’ → Is the page that is moved which is deleted?

Here, I’m pointing that in the sentence ‘When someone moves a page to a
name that already exists that page is deleted’, we read that ‘that page’
which ‘is deleted’ is the page which is moved, whereas it should be the
page that formerly had the new name of the page.

> Indeed. Towards the bottom of my email I wrote this:
>
>>> One item might be fixed before the newsletter goes out. In order to
>>> not have outdated info or have to ask you to retranslate, I've added a
>>> brief item we can use instead if it's fixed; I'll remove the incorrect
>>> one before sending out the newsletter on Monday.
>
> Should have put it at the top, there's no reason for you to read to
> the bottom of something you see every week, of course.

Yep. You could put such special notes just below the direct translation
link, and/or put ‘SPECIAL NOTE:’ before it, in uppercase letters, so
that it catches our attention.

> Do tell me if
> you think I should have a different approach in cases like these – my
> assumption was that translating another few sentences from the
> beginning is less work than potentially going back later, or less
> annoying than having your translation become outdated.
It’s okay — :).
--
Sylvain Chiron

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 4:37 PM Sylvain Chiron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 25/01/2019 à 01:33, Johan Jönsson a écrit :
> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 12:22 AM Sylvain Chiron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> (1) ‘The Wikimedia servers use HHVM to run the PHP code. They are going
> >> to use PHP7 instead.’ → Does this mean PHP7 will be installed (so this
> >> is an upgrade of PHP) and HHVM will no longer be used? If it’s not the
> >> case, what does ‘instead’ refer to?
> >
> > It does – the maintainers of HHVM will not maintain PHP language compatibility:
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technology/Annual_Plans/FY2019/TEC4:_PHP7_Migration
>
> Oh, yeah, I should have explored the link…
>
> >  Do you think it needs to be clarified?
>
> Indeed, as I suspected it described the architecture and then talked
> only about a single software layer. In French I preferred to be clearer
> and wrote: ‘The Wikimedia servers currently use HHVM to run the PHP
> code. They are going to use PHP7, which will substitute the use of HHVM.’

Clarified. (No need to retranslate.)

> >> (2) Do the two problems talk about the same thing? It looks like it’s
> >> so, but the first one is not fixed while the second one is fixed. ‘When
> >> someone moves a page to a name that already exists that page is
> >> deleted.’ → Is the page that is moved which is deleted?
>
> Here, I’m pointing that in the sentence ‘When someone moves a page to a
> name that already exists that page is deleted’, we read that ‘that page’
> which ‘is deleted’ is the page which is moved, whereas it should be the
> page that formerly had the new name of the page.

Clarified. (No need to retranslate.)

This has now been fixed; only one of the two items remains.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 7:51 AM Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Direct translation link:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2019%2F05&action=page

Thank you all for your help! It is deeply appreciated. The newsletter
has now been delivered (in 18 languages) to 821 pages across wikis.

//Johan Jönsson