Ready for translation: Tech News #42 (201)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ready for translation: Tech News #42 (201)

Johan Jönsson-2
The latest tech newsletter is ready for early translation:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/2019/42

Be warned that we're currently seeing this problem:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T235027

Direct translation link:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2019%2F42&action=page

I plan to send the newsletter on Monday afternoon (UTC), i.e. Monday
morning PT. The existing translations will be posted on the wikis in
that language. Deadlines:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/For_contributors#The_deadlines

There may be a more edits by Friday but the existing content should
generally remain fairly stable. I will let you know on Friday in any
case.

Let us know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. As
always, we appreciate your help and feedback.

(If you haven't translated Tech News previously, see this email:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/translators-l/2017-January/003773.html

If I can help you with anything, please ask!)

//Johan Jönsson
--

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ready for translation: Tech News #42 (201)

Johan Jönsson-2
On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 8:28 PM Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> The latest tech newsletter is ready for early translation:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/2019/42
>
> Be warned that we're currently seeing this problem:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T235027
>
> Direct translation link:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2019%2F42&action=page
>
> I plan to send the newsletter on Monday afternoon (UTC), i.e. Monday
> morning PT. The existing translations will be posted on the wikis in
> that language. Deadlines:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/For_contributors#The_deadlines
>
> There may be a more edits by Friday but the existing content should
> generally remain fairly stable. I will let you know on Friday in any
> case.
>
> Let us know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. As
> always, we appreciate your help and feedback.
>
> (If you haven't translated Tech News previously, see this email:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/translators-l/2017-January/003773.html
>
> If I can help you with anything, please ask!)

The text of the newsletter is now final. One new item was added
shortly after yesterday's email. There won't be any more changes; you
can translate safely.

Regarding https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T235027: There's a simple
workaround: once you're done translating, just go back and edit the
existing translation, e.g. add a space to the translated title.
That'll create the page and make your translation show up in the
language bar. I've added this to the translation documentation (above
the suggested translations) and, as far as I can tell, hunted down all
existing translations and made sure they appear. (: I'll make a new
round to find translations that haven't appeared before I send this
out on Monday, if the bug hasn't been fixed by then.

//Johan Jönsson
--

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ready for translation: Tech News #42 (201)

Sylvain Chiron
Hello,

Le 11/10/2019 à 16:29, Johan Jönsson a écrit :
> Regarding https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T235027: There's a simple
> workaround: once you're done translating, just go back and edit the
> existing translation, e.g. add a space to the translated title.

You can add then remove this space, to avoid modifying your text. This
will enable the button and does the work too.

It looks like it’s due to a desire to have less edits of translated
versions of the pages, causing many translations (preferably by a single
translator, so that the names are visible in the history) being
published as a single edit, but it doesn’t work yet?

Shouldn’t such an important thing be listed in the Tech News?

Regards,
--
Sylvain Chiron

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The translation system is buggy

Sylvain Chiron
Hello,

It seems that the Translate extension in its current state on
MediaWiki.org is very buggy. As I’ve finished to translate the Phase 2
report of the Talk pages consultation [1], I see that some messages are
replaced by others.

Look there:
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Translations:Talk_pages_consultation_2019/Phase_2_report/109/fr&action=history
You can see in the history that I’ve translated ‘German Wikipedia’ to
‘Wikipédia en allemand’. But if you look at the content (click on the
date or on the ‘Translations’ tab), you will see that it contains
‘[fr]’, which is the placeholder that I use to mark as translated the
English translations of French quotations in the report. ‘[fr]’ uses
only 4 bytes, but the history shows ‘22 bytes’ which corresponds to the
case of ‘Wikipédia en allemand’ which is made of:
20 1-byte characters + 1 2-byte char = 20 × 1 + 1 × 2 = 22 bytes
(The character ‘é’ uses 2 bytes when you use the common UTF-8 encoding.)

Translators, take care not to work too much these days, or your good
work might be corrupted — :(… A storm has touched our dear software
which worked so well before.

[1]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_consultation_2019/Phase_2_report/fr

Regards,
--
Sylvain Chiron

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The translation system is buggy

Niklas Laxström
This issue is tracked in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T235188

There is also a separate problem tracked in
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T235027

  -Niklas

ma 14. lokak. 2019 klo 2.57 Sylvain Chiron ([hidden email]) kirjoitti:

>
> Hello,
>
> It seems that the Translate extension in its current state on
> MediaWiki.org is very buggy. As I’ve finished to translate the Phase 2
> report of the Talk pages consultation [1], I see that some messages are
> replaced by others.
>
> Look there:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Translations:Talk_pages_consultation_2019/Phase_2_report/109/fr&action=history
> You can see in the history that I’ve translated ‘German Wikipedia’ to
> ‘Wikipédia en allemand’. But if you look at the content (click on the
> date or on the ‘Translations’ tab), you will see that it contains
> ‘[fr]’, which is the placeholder that I use to mark as translated the
> English translations of French quotations in the report. ‘[fr]’ uses
> only 4 bytes, but the history shows ‘22 bytes’ which corresponds to the
> case of ‘Wikipédia en allemand’ which is made of:
> 20 1-byte characters + 1 2-byte char = 20 × 1 + 1 × 2 = 22 bytes
> (The character ‘é’ uses 2 bytes when you use the common UTF-8 encoding.)
>
> Translators, take care not to work too much these days, or your good
> work might be corrupted — :(… A storm has touched our dear software
> which worked so well before.
>
> [1]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_consultation_2019/Phase_2_report/fr
>
> Regards,
> --
> Sylvain Chiron
>
> _______________________________________________
> Translators-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The translation system is buggy

Johan Jönsson-2
For those of you not following the tasks on Phabricator, there are
fixes going out with this week's train (at the latest) that will
hopefully solve the issues.

Thanks for reporting and giving information in Phab, folks.

//Johan Jönsson
--

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 8:49 AM Niklas Laxström
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> This issue is tracked in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T235188
>
> There is also a separate problem tracked in
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T235027
>
>   -Niklas
>
> ma 14. lokak. 2019 klo 2.57 Sylvain Chiron ([hidden email]) kirjoitti:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > It seems that the Translate extension in its current state on
> > MediaWiki.org is very buggy. As I’ve finished to translate the Phase 2
> > report of the Talk pages consultation [1], I see that some messages are
> > replaced by others.
> >
> > Look there:
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Translations:Talk_pages_consultation_2019/Phase_2_report/109/fr&action=history
> > You can see in the history that I’ve translated ‘German Wikipedia’ to
> > ‘Wikipédia en allemand’. But if you look at the content (click on the
> > date or on the ‘Translations’ tab), you will see that it contains
> > ‘[fr]’, which is the placeholder that I use to mark as translated the
> > English translations of French quotations in the report. ‘[fr]’ uses
> > only 4 bytes, but the history shows ‘22 bytes’ which corresponds to the
> > case of ‘Wikipédia en allemand’ which is made of:
> > 20 1-byte characters + 1 2-byte char = 20 × 1 + 1 × 2 = 22 bytes
> > (The character ‘é’ uses 2 bytes when you use the common UTF-8 encoding.)
> >
> > Translators, take care not to work too much these days, or your good
> > work might be corrupted — :(… A storm has touched our dear software
> > which worked so well before.
> >
> > [1]
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_consultation_2019/Phase_2_report/fr
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Sylvain Chiron
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Translators-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
>
> _______________________________________________
> Translators-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ready for translation: Tech News #42 (201)

Johan Jönsson-2
In reply to this post by Sylvain Chiron
I'll send this out to the wikis in a couple of hours.

I've gone through the logs and added translations that didn't show up.
If your translation still isn't showing in the language list, just
going to the translations, adding and removing a space and then saving
it should do it, or ping me and I'll take a look at it and figure it
out.

Thank you for your work and patience. I am, as always, counting myself
fortunate to get to do this together with you.

//Johan Jönsson
--

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 1:00 AM Sylvain Chiron <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> Le 11/10/2019 à 16:29, Johan Jönsson a écrit :
> > Regarding https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T235027: There's a simple
> > workaround: once you're done translating, just go back and edit the
> > existing translation, e.g. add a space to the translated title.
>
> You can add then remove this space, to avoid modifying your text. This
> will enable the button and does the work too.
>
> It looks like it’s due to a desire to have less edits of translated
> versions of the pages, causing many translations (preferably by a single
> translator, so that the names are visible in the history) being
> published as a single edit, but it doesn’t work yet?
>
> Shouldn’t such an important thing be listed in the Tech News?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Sylvain Chiron
>
> _______________________________________________
> Translators-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ready for translation: Tech News #42 (201)

Johan Jönsson-2
Thank you all for your help! It is deeply appreciated. The newsletter
has now been delivered (in 18 languages) across wikis.

//Johan Jönsson
--

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The translation system is buggy

Niklas Laxström
In reply to this post by Johan Jönsson-2
The fixes for https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T235027 {Translate
does not update content page when saving units} seem to work well on
mediawiki.org. These fixes will reach Meta and other Translate-using
wikis later today with the train deployments, assuming there are no
issues that block the train from moving forward.

We will run scripts later to ensure all translation pages are up to
date, but that cannot be done before
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T235188 {Some revisions' contents
are incorrect in the cache - wrong contents shown in history & diffs}
is resolved.

  -Niklas

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l