Received pronunciation.

Gordon Joly

Why do BBC Newscasters (that is the two presenters in the studio) say
"wicca-pedia" rather that "wiki-pedia"?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/video/88000/bb/88238_16x9_bb.ram

David Gerard has perfect pronunciation, of course.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Received pronunciation.

David Gerard-2
On 12/04/07, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why do BBC Newscasters (that is the two presenters in the studio) say
> "wicca-pedia" rather that "wiki-pedia"?
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/video/88000/bb/88238_16x9_bb.ram
> David Gerard has perfect pronunciation, of course.

un-si-klo-PEE-dee-ah.

- d.

Re: Received pronunciation.

Gary Kirk
Chris Evans said it right on Radio 2.

Anyone know why, on the link Gordon and I pasted, the "banter" between the news is cut, replaced by "For copyright reasons we cannot show you this video"? They daren't allow anyone who was too lazy to watch the original broadcast see BBC newscasters laughing?!

On 12/04/07, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why do BBC Newscasters (that is the two presenters in the studio) say
> "wicca-pedia" rather that "wiki-pedia"?
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/video/88000/bb/88238_16x9_bb.ram
> David Gerard has perfect pronunciation, of course.

un-si-klo-PEE-dee-ah.

- d.

Gary Kirk

Re: Received pronunciation.

Nicholas Shanks
On 12 Apr 2007, at 11:52, Gordon Joly wrote:

> Why do BBC Newscasters (that is the two presenters in the studio)
> say  "wicca-pedia" rather that "wiki-pedia"?
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/video/88000/bb/88238_16x9_bb.ram

Yeah, that irked me when I saw it too.
At least he has a Mac.

One thing is that he corrected a few points in the article (such as
his date of birth), which some clever-dick then reverted along with
the falsehoods. The last sentence he entered seems reasonable to
keep, does it not?

> David Gerard has perfect pronunciation, of course.

Perfect for National Nine News maybe ;-)

- Nicholas.

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment