Recommendations for communication?

Itzik Edri
Hi,

I looking for recommendations for SIM cards to use during Wikimania & to Nevada & California area (I'm staying a month).

Until now, the best that I found is AT&T Pay As You Go plans - need to purchase a cheap device (didn't found option just to purchase sim card) for about 25$, monthly plan will cost another 25$ and Data plan for 25$ (1GB, and I'm sure I'll need a much more :). What make the story quite expensive.

Any others option that the local guys can recommend?

Thanks,
Itzik

Re: Recommendations for communication?

Birgitte_sb
I am not local to DC, but in the US. The only true "no contract" Nationwide "pay as you go" option I am aware of is NetZero.  Virgin used to have a pay as you go option, but it is now only maintained for grandfathered devices. Net10 does sell SIM cards alone.  I use them for voice and text, but not data.  The only issue I have had is intermittently not receiving texts from two contacts   with Android phone with T-Mobile as their carrier. The texts I do receive from these contacts always state they are "picture texts" when they are really just text.  I don't know if this problem is on Net10's end or my contact's end, but such things at the wrong moment can turn into a big deal. I otherwise am happy with Net10 and there are not many no contract options here.  You might want to use them, but tell everyone that you will confirm all texts while you are traveling, and if they don't get a confirmation then they should assume you never received the text.

There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.

http://www.net10.com/

BirgitteSB

On Jun 16, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I looking for recommendations for SIM cards to use during Wikimania & to Nevada & California area (I'm staying a month).
>
> Until now, the best that I found is AT&T Pay As You Go plans - need to purchase a cheap device (didn't found option just to purchase sim card) for about 25$, monthly plan will cost another 25$ and Data plan for 25$ (1GB, and I'm sure I'll need a much more :). What make the story quite expensive.
>
> Any others option that the local guys can recommend?
>

> Thanks,
> Itzik

Re: Recommendations for communication?

David Mugo

Guys,

Whatever you do keep away from T-Mobile, the data connection sucks, everywhere you go in the US. Was there a few weeks ago, visited 6 states and did not once get a 3G connection.

David.

On Jun 17, 2012 3:10 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am not local to DC, but in the US. The only true "no contract" Nationwide "pay as you go" option I am aware of is NetZero.  Virgin used to have a pay as you go option, but it is now only maintained for grandfathered devices. Net10 does sell SIM cards alone.  I use them for voice and text, but not data.  The only issue I have had is intermittently not receiving texts from two contacts   with Android phone with T-Mobile as their carrier. The texts I do receive from these contacts always state they are "picture texts" when they are really just text.  I don't know if this problem is on Net10's end or my contact's end, but such things at the wrong moment can turn into a big deal. I otherwise am happy with Net10 and there are not many no contract options here.  You might want to use them, but tell everyone that you will confirm all texts while you are traveling, and if they don't get a confirmation then they should assume you never received the text.

There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.

http://www.net10.com/

BirgitteSB

On Jun 16, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I looking for recommendations for SIM cards to use during Wikimania & to Nevada & California area (I'm staying a month).
>
> Until now, the best that I found is AT&T Pay As You Go plans - need to purchase a cheap device (didn't found option just to purchase sim card) for about 25$, monthly plan will cost another 25$ and Data plan for 25$ (1GB, and I'm sure I'll need a much more :). What make the story quite expensive.
>
> Any others option that the local guys can recommend?
>

> Thanks,
> Itzik

Re: Recommendations for communication?

Nicholas Michael Bashour
Although I don't use it, I know there's also BoostMobile that has pay-as-you-go options, and daily and monthly unlimited rates. www.boostmobile.com

2012/6/16 <[hidden email]>
I am not local to DC, but in the US. The only true "no contract" Nationwide "pay as you go" option I am aware of is NetZero.  Virgin used to have a pay as you go option, but it is now only maintained for grandfathered devices. Net10 does sell SIM cards alone.  I use them for voice and text, but not data.  The only issue I have had is intermittently not receiving texts from two contacts   with Android phone with T-Mobile as their carrier. The texts I do receive from these contacts always state they are "picture texts" when they are really just text.  I don't know if this problem is on Net10's end or my contact's end, but such things at the wrong moment can turn into a big deal. I otherwise am happy with Net10 and there are not many no contract options here.  You might want to use them, but tell everyone that you will confirm all texts while you are traveling, and if they don't get a confirmation then they should assume you never received the text.

There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.

http://www.net10.com/

BirgitteSB

On Jun 16, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I looking for recommendations for SIM cards to use during Wikimania & to Nevada & California area (I'm staying a month).
>
> Until now, the best that I found is AT&T Pay As You Go plans - need to purchase a cheap device (didn't found option just to purchase sim card) for about 25$, monthly plan will cost another 25$ and Data plan for 25$ (1GB, and I'm sure I'll need a much more :). What make the story quite expensive.
>
> Any others option that the local guys can recommend?
>

> Thanks,
> Itzik

Re: Recommendations for communication?

Birgitte_sb

Looking at Net10 a little more.

#1 You must have an unlocked GSM phone for the SIM card only option.

#2 Be sure you check the coverage map against your plans as Nevada coverage is spotty outside of Reno and Vegas.  No "Nationwide" coverage is actually 100% in the US. I don't know if that is the normal expectation elsewhere or not.  Some places just don't have cell service at any price, some only have one carrier with any cell towers in the area.  But if you are sticking to major cities, you *should* find anything labeled "Nationwide" as suitable.

http://www.net10sim.com/coverage.php

BirgitteSB

On Jun 16, 2012, at 7:10 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I am not local to DC, but in the US. The only true "no contract" Nationwide "pay as you go" option I am aware of is NetZero.  Virgin used to have a pay as you go option, but it is now only maintained for grandfathered devices. Net10 does sell SIM cards alone.  I use them for voice and text, but not data.  The only issue I have had is intermittently not receiving texts from two contacts   with Android phone with T-Mobile as their carrier. The texts I do receive from these contacts always state they are "picture texts" when they are really just text.  I don't know if this problem is on Net10's end or my contact's end, but such things at the wrong moment can turn into a big deal. I otherwise am happy with Net10 and there are not many no contract options here.  You might want to use them, but tell everyone that you will confirm all texts while you are traveling, and if they don't get a confirmation then they should assume you never received the text.
>
> There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.
>
> http://www.net10.com/
>
> BirgitteSB
>

> On Jun 16, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I looking for recommendations for SIM cards to use during Wikimania & to Nevada & California area (I'm staying a month).
>>
>> Until now, the best that I found is AT&T Pay As You Go plans - need to purchase a cheap device (didn't found option just to purchase sim card) for about 25$, monthly plan will cost another 25$ and Data plan for 25$ (1GB, and I'm sure I'll need a much more :). What make the story quite expensive.
>>
>> Any others option that the local guys can recommend?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Itzik

Re: Recommendations for communication?

James Hare
It ultimately depends on where you're going. Some parts of the country
are absolutely hopeless for wireless coverage. Pretty much every city,
though, has some kind of wireless coverage, as do most minor towns
outside the cities.

James

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looking at Net10 a little more.
>
> #1 You must have an unlocked GSM phone for the SIM card only option.
>
> #2 Be sure you check the coverage map against your plans as Nevada coverage is spotty outside of Reno and Vegas.  No "Nationwide" coverage is actually 100% in the US. I don't know if that is the normal expectation elsewhere or not.  Some places just don't have cell service at any price, some only have one carrier with any cell towers in the area.  But if you are sticking to major cities, you *should* find anything labeled "Nationwide" as suitable.
>
> http://www.net10sim.com/coverage.php
>
> BirgitteSB
>
> On Jun 16, 2012, at 7:10 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I am not local to DC, but in the US. The only true "no contract" Nationwide "pay as you go" option I am aware of is NetZero.  Virgin used to have a pay as you go option, but it is now only maintained for grandfathered devices. Net10 does sell SIM cards alone.  I use them for voice and text, but not data.  The only issue I have had is intermittently not receiving texts from two contacts   with Android phone with T-Mobile as their carrier. The texts I do receive from these contacts always state they are "picture texts" when they are really just text.  I don't know if this problem is on Net10's end or my contact's end, but such things at the wrong moment can turn into a big deal. I otherwise am happy with Net10 and there are not many no contract options here.  You might want to use them, but tell everyone that you will confirm all texts while you are traveling, and if they don't get a confirmation then they should assume you never received the text.
>>
>> There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.
>>
>> http://www.net10.com/
>>
>> BirgitteSB
>>

>> On Jun 16, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I looking for recommendations for SIM cards to use during Wikimania & to Nevada & California area (I'm staying a month).
>>>
>>> Until now, the best that I found is AT&T Pay As You Go plans - need to purchase a cheap device (didn't found option just to purchase sim card) for about 25$, monthly plan will cost another 25$ and Data plan for 25$ (1GB, and I'm sure I'll need a much more :). What make the story quite expensive.
>>>
>>> Any others option that the local guys can recommend?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Itzik

Re: Recommendations for communication?

Joseph Fox
I'm also looking for options for phones to take to Wikimania. So far the best option I've heard is to take my iPhone and simply go into a T-Mobile/AT&T shop and have them set it up for me with a new MicroSim. I guess there are shops in JFK that let you buy prepaid mobiles too?

JF

On 17 Jun 2012, at 08:35, James Hare wrote:

> It ultimately depends on where you're going. Some parts of the country
> are absolutely hopeless for wireless coverage. Pretty much every city,
> though, has some kind of wireless coverage, as do most minor towns
> outside the cities.
>
> James
>
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Looking at Net10 a little more.
>>
>> #1 You must have an unlocked GSM phone for the SIM card only option.
>>
>> #2 Be sure you check the coverage map against your plans as Nevada coverage is spotty outside of Reno and Vegas.  No "Nationwide" coverage is actually 100% in the US. I don't know if that is the normal expectation elsewhere or not.  Some places just don't have cell service at any price, some only have one carrier with any cell towers in the area.  But if you are sticking to major cities, you *should* find anything labeled "Nationwide" as suitable.
>>
>> http://www.net10sim.com/coverage.php
>>
>> BirgitteSB
>>
>> On Jun 16, 2012, at 7:10 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> I am not local to DC, but in the US. The only true "no contract" Nationwide "pay as you go" option I am aware of is NetZero.  Virgin used to have a pay as you go option, but it is now only maintained for grandfathered devices. Net10 does sell SIM cards alone.  I use them for voice and text, but not data.  The only issue I have had is intermittently not receiving texts from two contacts   with Android phone with T-Mobile as their carrier. The texts I do receive from these contacts always state they are "picture texts" when they are really just text.  I don't know if this problem is on Net10's end or my contact's end, but such things at the wrong moment can turn into a big deal. I otherwise am happy with Net10 and there are not many no contract options here.  You might want to use them, but tell everyone that you will confirm all texts while you are traveling, and if they don't get a confirmation then they should assume you never received the text.
>>>
>>> There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.
>>>
>>> http://www.net10.com/
>>>
>>> BirgitteSB

Re: Recommendations for communication?

Evangeline Han
If I want to buy a SIM card, where can I go to get it? Are there communication shops near the venue or the hostel?

Evangeline

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm also looking for options for phones to take to Wikimania. So far the best option I've heard is to take my iPhone and simply go into a T-Mobile/AT&T shop and have them set it up for me with a new MicroSim. I guess there are shops in JFK that let you buy prepaid mobiles too?

JF

On 17 Jun 2012, at 08:35, James Hare wrote:

> It ultimately depends on where you're going. Some parts of the country
> are absolutely hopeless for wireless coverage. Pretty much every city,
> though, has some kind of wireless coverage, as do most minor towns
> outside the cities.
>
> James
>
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Looking at Net10 a little more.
>>
>> #1 You must have an unlocked GSM phone for the SIM card only option.
>>
>> #2 Be sure you check the coverage map against your plans as Nevada coverage is spotty outside of Reno and Vegas.  No "Nationwide" coverage is actually 100% in the US. I don't know if that is the normal expectation elsewhere or not.  Some places just don't have cell service at any price, some only have one carrier with any cell towers in the area.  But if you are sticking to major cities, you *should* find anything labeled "Nationwide" as suitable.
>>
>> http://www.net10sim.com/coverage.php
>>
>> BirgitteSB
>>
>> On Jun 16, 2012, at 7:10 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> I am not local to DC, but in the US. The only true "no contract" Nationwide "pay as you go" option I am aware of is NetZero.  Virgin used to have a pay as you go option, but it is now only maintained for grandfathered devices. Net10 does sell SIM cards alone.  I use them for voice and text, but not data.  The only issue I have had is intermittently not receiving texts from two contacts   with Android phone with T-Mobile as their carrier. The texts I do receive from these contacts always state they are "picture texts" when they are really just text.  I don't know if this problem is on Net10's end or my contact's end, but such things at the wrong moment can turn into a big deal. I otherwise am happy with Net10 and there are not many no contract options here.  You might want to use them, but tell everyone that you will confirm all texts while you are traveling, and if they don't get a confirmation then they should assume you never received the text.
>>>
>>> There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.
>>>
>>> http://www.net10.com/
>>>
>>> BirgitteSB

Re: Recommendations for communication?

Joseph Fox
The hostel in DC is right in the middle of town so I can't imagine for a second there aren't. :)

Here's a map of the "phone shops" (I can't think of a better word!) near the hostel: http://goo.gl/maps/AYZ3

Joe

On 17 Jun 2012, at 12:45, Evangeline Han wrote:

> [...]

>>> There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.

Sorry, just did after I gave you that link. It also has the correct location of the hostel...

Hope this helps.

> [...]

>>> There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.

Lodewijk
Maybe I;m the only one that needs this - but if you just want a simple SIM card for a simple gsm for calling and sms only - prepaid only? What would be the best option? I'm planning to stick in the area between DC, New York and New England with maybe short trips outside.

Lodewijk

2012/6/17 Joseph Fox <[hidden email]>
> [...]

>>> There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.

That's what I want as well. I'm hearing that prepaid as it exists in Europe and Australia doesn't really exist in the USA. I would need confirmation of this though.

Joe

On 17 Jun 2012, at 15:54, Lodewijk wrote:

> [...]

>>> There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.

Alan Lai
For most people with Eurasian versions of smartphones, you only choice for full 3G is using AT&T because of the frequency issue. Only AT&T uses the same frequencies at 1800MHz and 2100MHz spectra for WCDMA. The reason why many can't attain 3G speed on T-mobile USA is that they use 1700MHz and 1900MHz frequencies for WCDMA which is not supported by phones outside US. Hence your iPhone would only see 2100MHz for GSM and attain EDGE speed at maximum.

Luckily I got a T-Mobile USA version of Nexus S, so I can be different and use USD3 a day unlimited phone + data at HSPA+ speeds for the first 200MB.

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/attachments/20120617/056a4b4a/attachment.html

Best regards,
Alan Lai
Sent on the road

Re: Recommendations for communication?

Joseph Fox
That's all well and good, but if you just want (for example) something to call someone with as soon as you land..? What then?

Joe

On 17 Jun 2012, at 16:10, Alan C Y Lai (Wikimedia) wrote:

> For most people with Eurasian versions of smartphones, you only choice for full 3G is using AT&T because of the frequency issue. Only AT&T uses the same frequencies at 1800MHz and 2100MHz spectra for WCDMA. The reason why many can't attain 3G speed on T-mobile USA is that they use 1700MHz and 1900MHz frequencies for WCDMA which is not supported by phones outside US. Hence your iPhone would only see 2100MHz for GSM and attain EDGE speed at maximum.
>
> Luckily I got a T-Mobile USA version of Nexus S, so I can be different and use USD3 a day unlimited phone + data at HSPA+ speeds for the first 200MB.

> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/attachments/20120617/056a4b4a/attachment.html
>
> Best regards,
> Alan Lai
> Sent on the road

Re: Recommendations for communication?

Joseph Fox
Also, that's all Greek to me, frankly.

Joe

On 17 Jun 2012, at 16:10, Alan C Y Lai (Wikimedia) wrote:

> For most people with Eurasian versions of smartphones, you only choice for full 3G is using AT&T because of the frequency issue. Only AT&T uses the same frequencies at 1800MHz and 2100MHz spectra for WCDMA. The reason why many can't attain 3G speed on T-mobile USA is that they use 1700MHz and 1900MHz frequencies for WCDMA which is not supported by phones outside US. Hence your iPhone would only see 2100MHz for GSM and attain EDGE speed at maximum.
>
> Luckily I got a T-Mobile USA version of Nexus S, so I can be different and use USD3 a day unlimited phone + data at HSPA+ speeds for the first 200MB.

> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/attachments/20120617/056a4b4a/attachment.html
>
> Best regards,
> Alan Lai
> Sent on the road

Re: Recommendations for communication?

Josh Lim
Not attending Wikimania this year, but I did some research on the topic before I headed to New York City in February, and I can suggest this: Simple Mobile.  They're an MVNO which runs on the T-Mobile network, and they have unlimited phone calls and texts for two weeks for only $25.  They also have a promotion for free international texts.

More information on http://www.mysimplemobile.com/. :)

Josh

On Jun 17, 2012, at 9:54 AM, Lodewijk wrote:

> [...]

>>> There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Block I1, AB Political Science
Major in Global Politics, Minor in Chinese Studies
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

Trustee (2010-2013), Wikimedia Philippines
Member, Ateneo Debate Society
Member, The Assembly
Member, Ateneo Lingua Ars Cultura

[hidden email] | +63 (927) 531-8301
Friendster/Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://akira123323.livejournal.com

Re: Recommendations for communication?

Joseph Fox
Oh, that would be perfect. Thanks, Josh. :)
Joe

On 17 Jun 2012, at 16:41, Josh Lim wrote:

> [...]

>>> There may other local only options in DC (or East Coast regional options), but you will likely need someone with Nationwide coverage for your whole trip.  It is possible, but unlikely, some carrier covers DC and Nevada/CA, without being a Nationwide carrier.  There have been some odd mergers.
>>>
>>> http://www.net10.com/
>>>
>>> BirgitteSB

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Block I1, AB Political Science
Major in Global Politics, Minor in Chinese Studies
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

Trustee (2010-2013), Wikimedia Philippines
Member, Ateneo Debate Society
Member, The Assembly
Member, Ateneo Lingua Ars Cultura

[hidden email] | +63 (927) 531-8301
Friendster/Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor

Dear Joseph,

Basically, you should get AT&T from Airport for your data needs if your phone doesn't support T-mobile 3G network like most phones.

For phone needs, both AT&T and T-mobile support GSM, so all suggestions mentioned above are ok.

Best regards,
Alan
Sent on the road

Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 16:14:44 +0800
From: Joseph Fox <[hidden email]>
  <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] Recommendations for communication?

[...]

------------------------------

Dear Josh,

Your suggestion is very good for phone calls and texts! Thanks!

Best regards,
Alan
Sent on the road

Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:41:09 +0200
From: Josh Lim <[hidden email]>
  <[hidden email]>

http://goo.gl/maps/xLBk

#1 You must have an unlocked GSM phone for the SIM card only option.

[...]

End of Wikimania-l Digest, Vol 75, Issue 10