Redacted database content

Marlen Caemmerer-3

Hello,

I was asked by WMF to make the database views on Toolserver fit to their privacy policy they applied at Toollabs.
This means some data in the databases should not be displayed any longer.

It regards  fields in the  tables revision, logging, recentchanges, oldimage and filearchive.

Table entries that should be hidden will not be displayed by the Toolserver database servers.
These entries can be unhidden by the Steward level users of the Wikipedias and are then accessible again.

Some fields are not even shown in the default view because queries on these tables then no longer can use indexes which makes the
databases and queries run very slow.
I put alternative views in place in this case in case you need more fields you'll find slower views with most of the fields (but
redacted).

Please note that this may change the number of rows and other results of your tools.

If you have any issues with your tools because of this change please let me know.

Cheers
         Marlen/nosy

Re: Redacted database content

Christian Thiele
Hi,

Am 06.12.2013, 11:27 Uhr, schrieb Marlen Caemmerer
<[hidden email]>:

> It regards  fields in the  tables revision, logging, recentchanges,
> oldimage and filearchive.

is it possible to have a list of the effected fields?

Greetings,
Chris / apper

Re: Redacted database content

Marc-Andre
On 12/06/2013 10:48 AM, Christian Thiele wrote:
> is it possible to have a list of the effected fields?

The new views have been modeled after those of the Labs' replicated
tables, and should be the same as found in:

https://git.wikimedia.org/blob/operations%2Fsoftware/HEAD/maintain-replicas%2Fmaintain-replicas.pl

(Look at the definitions starting line 99).

IIRC, however, the table /names/ are slightly different on the
toolserver; TS's "revision" table matches our "revision_userindex"
table, while our "revision" is on the TS as "revision_alternate" or so.

Either way, this should give you a good idea of what columns are altered.

-- Marc

Re: Redacted database content

Platonides
In which way were they non-conformant? Toolserver data was hiding (most) non-public fields, being very similar to what labs hid (actually, I remember fields hidden in toolserver available in labs, not the other way around). What did you remove?

On 12/07/2013 10:21 AM, Platonides wrote:
> In which way were they non-conformant? Toolserver data was hiding (most)
> non-public fields, being very similar to what labs hid (actually, I
> remember fields hidden in toolserver available in labs, not the other
> way around). What did you remove?

Amongst other things, several revision deleted fields were available, as
well as a number of suppressed entries.

-- Marc