References and Footnotes and setting FULLPAGENAME

References and Footnotes and setting FULLPAGENAME

Michael Dorosh
 I asked this once but got no help, so I'll try and include more detail this time. I am running 1.5.5

I type the following onto a page:

_______________________________________-

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, pellentesque quae eget sapien magna, nulla sed id, ipsum ac. Erat nec hac ullamcorper tempor orci, lacus metus, vestibulum vitae est. Eu fringilla erat at. Eget enim elit enim placerat, hac dapibus nulla vestibulum sed et in.{{note|sandbox1}}

Eu fringilla erat at. Eget enim elit enim placerat, hac dapibus nulla vestibulum sed et in. Morbi magna elementum nec amet habitant convallis, auctor volutpat dui est mattis in sodales, non tristique, sed magna urna aliquam sit orci enim. Sodales pede, orci elit turpis pellentesque lacus sed blandit, porttitor vestibulum justo leo venenatis nostra a, blandit in exercitationem accumsan viverra, ultricies repellat vestibulum pellentesque. Congue cras libero suscipit, viverra purus leo interdum mollis. Pede quis erat lacus vestibulum mus rhoncus, orci imperdiet nunc sed habitasse scelerisque enim, pellentesque amet magnis rhoncus sociis et, auctor aptent. Vitae mattis felis faucibus dui est, purus donec quis odio sit interdum in, mi per, pellentesque amet lectus nisl lacus arcu at.

==Notes==
{{ref|sandbox1}}
___________________________________________________________________________-
And I get this: [{{{{FULLPAGENAME}}}}#endnote_sandbox1]  in the notes section.

This is my Template for Ref:

How do I set FULLPAGENAME?

Mike

Re: References and Footnotes and setting FULLPAGENAME

Brion Vibber
Michael Dorosh wrote:
>  I asked this once but got no help, so I'll try and include more detail this time. I am running 1.5.5
[snip]
> This is my Template for Ref:
>
> [{{{{FULLPAGENAME}}}}#endnote_{{{1}}}]

1) {{FULLPAGENAME}} is a new addition in 1.6. It is not present in 1.5.

2) Quadruple curly braces seem rather unlikely to do what you want. You want
double curly braces.

3) What are you trying to accomplish here?

[[Blah blah#endnote_1]] ?
or
[http://example.com/wiki/Blah_blah#endnote_1] ?

Try:
[[{{FULLPAGENAME}}#endnote_{{{1}}}]]
or
[{{fullurl:{{FULLPAGENAME}}}}#endnote_{{{1}}}]

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: References and Footnotes and setting FULLPAGENAME

Michael Dorosh
Hmm, I was just going by what the default was - or so I thought.  I eliminated the quadruple braces with double braces.  I changed Template: Ref to
[[{{FULLPAGENAME}}#endnote_{{{1}}}]]

And it does seem to now link from the endnotes to the text - but not vice versa.  And instead of displaying a simple number, it displays " #endnote_(name of reference) "

What I want to accomplish is this:

 Dui mi tristique massa volutpat, lobortis mi aliquam morbi faucibus. Vestibulum ligula, neque sed, pede feugiat nec sed justo, nonummy deserunt nec sed, nibh ultricies consequat quis tellus nisl. Sollicitudin et leo, arcu non venenatis donec neque suspendisse, nam dolor ornare lacinia vivamus eu, nisl mauris imperdiet ornare in lacus. Tincidunt mus id interdum in, orci gravida, nonummy purus nostra fermentum, vel tellus vel et nullam nulla enim, quam ac nunc venenatis amet lectus amet. 1

Notes

1. Bloggins, Tom.  Quia sed tellus  (Mediawiki Publishing, 1999)
Where I click on the 1 (which should be superscript in the text above) and it takes me to the Notes at the bottom, and clicking on the 1 below takes me back up. I also don't want to have to manually number the references but have them automatically sorted. I know Wikipedia does this, I just don't understand how to make it work on my own.

Michael Dorosh wrote:
>  I asked this once but got no help, so I'll try and include more detail this time. I am running 1.5.5
[snip]
> This is my Template for Ref:
>
> [{{{{FULLPAGENAME}}}}#endnote_{{{1}}}]

1) {{FULLPAGENAME}} is a new addition in 1.6. It is not present in 1.5.

2) Quadruple curly braces seem rather unlikely to do what you want. You want
double curly braces.

3) What are you trying to accomplish here?

[[Blah blah#endnote_1]] ?
or
[http://example.com/wiki/Blah_blah#endnote_1] ?

Try:
[[{{FULLPAGENAME}}#endnote_{{{1}}}]]
or
[{{fullurl:{{FULLPAGENAME}}}}#endnote_{{{1}}}]

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: References and Footnotes and setting FULLPAGENAME

Rob Church
On 09/04/06, Michael Dorosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What I want to accomplish is this:
[...snippety snip...]
>I also don't want to have to manually number the references but have
them automatically >sorted. I know Wikipedia does this, I just don't
understand how to make it work on my own.

Historically, Wikipedia users used an ugly system of {{note}} and
{{ref}} templates which, with some voodoo magic and a lot of sweating
and swearing, achieved the desired result, after a fashion.

Avar later wrote a Cite extension which is now in use on the site; and
users are converting articles over to use it. It's cleaner, tidier and
sleeker, and it does all sorts of automagical things to references.

As far as I know, both these methods rely upon features of the parser
which are not present below MediaWiki 1.6.0. More information on the
Cite extension can be found at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cite/Cite.php.

Rob Church

Re: References and Footnotes and setting FULLPAGENAME

Martin Jambon
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Rob Church wrote:

> On 09/04/06, Michael Dorosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What I want to accomplish is this:
> [...snippety snip...]
>> I also don't want to have to manually number the references but have
> them automatically >sorted. I know Wikipedia does this, I just don't
> understand how to make it work on my own.
>
> Historically, Wikipedia users used an ugly system of {{note}} and
> {{ref}} templates which, with some voodoo magic and a lot of sweating
> and swearing, achieved the desired result, after a fashion.
>
> Avar later wrote a Cite extension which is now in use on the site; and
> users are converting articles over to use it. It's cleaner, tidier and
> sleeker, and it does all sorts of automagical things to references.

Speaking of automagical things, my Biblio extension* is somewhat more
convenient for citing biomedical literature, since you don't have
to copy and format the bibliographic record yourself. I'd be glad to work
on an merge with Cite if the folks at Wikipedia are interested.

* http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Biblio
   Example:
     http://wikiomics.org/wiki/Searching_for_3D_functional_sites_in_a_protein_structure

The main difference, that some people could see as an obstacle, but which
in general is an advantage, is that the source information is not
duplicated manually, it stays on the PubMed SOAP server (NCBI eUtilities).
If the server is down, it is in my opinion not worse than a dead link
anyway. PubMed is used by just everyone in all academic
fields which have something to do with biology.

Martin

> As far as I know, both these methods rely upon features of the parser
> which are not present below MediaWiki 1.6.0. More information on the
> Cite extension can be found at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cite/Cite.php.
>

> Rob Church

Martin Jambon, PhD