Refusing CRB check

Re: Board Of Directors

Chris Wood-7

I am interested in becoming a member of the board but because I am only 17 I am confused as to if I am allowed to under the UK law. I was part of the original Wikimedia Uk and was keen to get involved in this one. Altough age was against me last time hopefully it isnt this time. I was wondering if I emailed someone the copy of my statements if they could place it on meta for me. I cant edit from this IP address at college as it has been hard blocked due to all the cross wiki vandalism.

Kind regards

 Chris

Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Dahsun
Firstly to answer Chris's question,

Having read over a hundred posts on this thread, we could set the minimum age for Directors at 16 (or even 17) rather than 18 - and I for one think that would be in keeping with Wikipedia's ethos and normal practice of minimum age discrimination (though some consider that this would require the rest of the board to be CRB checked, personally I'm not convinced of that though I agree that anyone going in to schools would need this).

Secondly
I'm concerned about Data Protection and the relationship with the rest of the Wiki.

Wikipedia EN currently works on US Privacy Law which is different to UK law, and I suspect that many of our practices would need to be reviewed if we had to comply with UK or EU Privacy standards (especially with regard to European views on IP addresses sometimes being personal data).

I'm assuming that someone from Chapcom has looked into this and designed the proposed chapter structure so that the UK chapter would be sufficiently independent from Wikipedia not to be considered the UK Data Controller for Personal data on and processed for Wikipedia EN. But I would like to see confirmation of that (perhaps this is why the foundation has retained the right to withdraw trademarks rather having the right to fire the board?).

I couldn't find an existing data protection registration for wikipedia or wikimedia with the Information commission http://www.ico.gov.uk/ESDWebPages/Search.asp but if the new charity is going to process information on members and donors it probably needs to register - which currently costs £35 per annum. I'd suggest that that registration makes it clear that the charity does not control the data on Wikipedia EN.

Thirdly being a registered as opposed to unregistered charity.

I will probably vote against any board candidate whose ambition for this organisation is to stay below the £5,000 annual threshold for charity registration, both as a failure of vision and because being a registered charity opens doors (I've already mentioned on this thread that Payroll giving is open to "all UK registered charities").

Incidentally I've now checked out www.justgiving.com and they will accept unregistered charities, however neither Wikipedia nor Wikimedia are registered with them, though Wikimedia but strangely not Wikipedia are registered with their US equivalent http://www.firstgiving.com.

Regards

Jonathan Cardy (WereSpielChequers)

[hidden email]

> I am interested in becoming a member of the board but
> because I am only 17 I am confused as to if I am allowed to
> under the UK law. I was part of the original Wikimedia Uk
> and was keen to get involved in this one. Altough age was
> against me last time hopefully it isnt this time. I was
> wondering if I emailed someone the copy of my statements if
> they could place it on meta for me. I cant edit from this IP
> address at college as it has been hard blocked due to all
> the cross wiki vandalism.
>

> Kind regards
>

>  Chris

Re: Refusing CRB check

Owen Blacker
Likewise, I object in principle.

>> It isn't a big deal unless we have a good candidate objecting on
>> principle.
>
> We have a candidate objecting on principle. I make no judgement at
> this time on whether they are a good candidate or not.

Owen Blacker, London GB
Say no to ID cards: www.no2id.net
Get your mits off my bits: www.openrightsgroup.org
Help us crowdsourcing video: www.theyworkforyou.com/video
--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
 safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety  -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

2008/9/11 jonathan cardy <[hidden email]>:

> Wikipedia EN currently works on US Privacy Law which is different to UK law, and I suspect that many of our practices would need to be reviewed if we had to comply with UK or EU Privacy standards (especially with regard to European views on IP addresses sometimes being personal data).
> I'm assuming that someone from Chapcom has looked into this and designed the proposed chapter structure so that the UK chapter would be sufficiently independent from Wikipedia not to be considered the UK Data Controller for Personal data on and processed for Wikipedia EN. But I would like to see confirmation of that (perhaps this is why the foundation has retained the right to withdraw trademarks rather having the right to fire the board?).

(I'm not on chapcom, but -) Definitely. That's why chapters are
separate organisations - "official fan clubs" - rather than subsidiary
organisations.

If someone in the UK calls up WMUK threatening hellfire and litigation
under UK law for something in en:wp, they are politely and patiently
told that WMUK doesn't operate the website or have any editorial
control over en:wp, and are referred to the Foundation. (Where the
issue will typically end up in the OTRS queue for living bio problems
and be dealt with by experienced BLP editors in a manner satisfactory
to the subject anyway, but that's volunteer editors doing something
because it's the right thing to do, rather than from any fear of
litigation.)

WMUK does not run the projects in any way at all.

WMDE has been dragged into German courts a few times over stuff on
de:wp and had to explain they have no editorial control over the
content and aren't involved in making it available. They had to remove
the link on wikimedia.de to de.wikipedia.org for a short while in one
case, I think.

I'm not sure what the situation is with WMDE and the servers they own
in Amsterdam. But I'm sure they keep the streams from crossing.

> Thirdly being a registered as opposed to unregistered charity.
> I will probably vote against any board candidate whose ambition for this organisation is to stay below the £5,000 annual threshold for charity registration, both as a failure of vision and because being a registered charity opens doors (I've already mentioned on this thread that Payroll giving is open to "all UK registered charities").

As I keep saying: goal #1 is to become a registered charity. Election
mechanisms, even CRB checks, are the merest side-issues compared to
this. Once you're a registered charity, you can really go for it in
terms of how to funnel in money from supporters.

- d.

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Chris Wood-7

Am I allowed to change the page about the [[Wikimedia UK v2.0/Candidate statements/Declaration]] or havent we agreed that board members can be under 18?

Chris

> [...]
> case, I think.
>
> I'm not sure what the situation is with WMDE and the servers they own
> in Amsterdam. But I'm sure they keep the streams from crossing.
>

>> Thirdly being a registered as opposed to unregistered charity.
>> I will probably vote against any board candidate whose ambition for this organisation is to stay below the £5,000 annual threshold for charity registration, both as a failure of vision and because being a registered charity opens doors (I've already mentioned on this thread that Payroll giving is open to "all UK registered charities").
>

> As I keep saying: goal #1 is to become a registered charity. Election
> mechanisms, even CRB checks, are the merest side-issues compared to
> this. Once you're a registered charity, you can really go for it in
> terms of how to funnel in money from supporters.

Re: Board Of Directors

joseph seddon
> I am interested in becoming a member of the board but because I am only 17 I am confused as to if I am allowed to under the UK law. I was part
> of the original Wikimedia Uk and was keen to get involved in this one. Altough age was against me last time hopefully it isnt this time. I was
> wondering if I emailed someone the copy of my statements if they could place it on meta for me. I cant edit from this IP address at college as it has
> been hard blocked due to all the cross wiki vandalism.

There may be issues at the beginning with getting a bank account. Given you are under 18 you will have no credit history.
For a bank that is a bad thing.

Seddon

Try Facebook in Windows Live Messenger! Try it Now!

Re: Board Of Directors

Chris Wood-7

I do have a Visa Electron credit card account if that helps?

Chris
________________________________

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:02:17 +0000
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] Board Of Directors
>
>> I am interested in becoming a member of the board but because I am only 17 I am confused as to if I am allowed to under the UK law. I was part
>> of the original Wikimedia Uk and was keen to get involved in this one. Altough age was against me last time hopefully it isnt this time. I was
>> wondering if I emailed someone the copy of my statements if they could place it on meta for me. I cant edit from this IP address at college as it has
>> been hard blocked due to all the cross wiki vandalism.
>
> There may be issues at the beginning with getting a bank account. Given you are under 18 you will have no credit history.
> For a bank that is a bad thing.
>
> Seddon

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Alison M. Wheeler
On Thu, September 11, 2008 11:41, David Gerard wrote:
> If someone in the UK calls up WMUK threatening hellfire and litigation
> under UK law for something in en:wp, they are politely and patiently
> told that WMUK doesn't operate the website or have any editorial
> control over en:wp, and are referred to the Foundation.

This.

Happens all too frequently, actually, and some people (including their
lawyers) take quite a bit of persuasion that "Wikimedia UK" basically has
a nice name but otherwise nothing (legally) to do with what is on
Wikinews, Wikipedia (in any language), etc.

Something that I, in discussion with Brad (then Counsel at WMF) worked
into the agreement was the explicit statement that WMUK couldn't order the
WMF to do (or not do) anything whatsoever, and likewise that WMF couldn't
order WMUK to do or not do anything either. Not just a 'chinese wall' but
an infinitely deep moat that can't be crossed.

Alison

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Alison M. Wheeler
Just to be explicit on these points:

On Thu, September 11, 2008 11:23, jonathan cardy wrote:

> Wikipedia EN currently works on US Privacy Law which is different to UK
> law, and I suspect that many of our practices would need to be reviewed if
> we had to comply with UK or EU Privacy standards (especially with regard
> to European views on IP addresses sometimes being personal data).
>
> I'm assuming that someone from Chapcom has looked into this and designed
> the proposed chapter structure so that the UK chapter would be
> sufficiently independent from Wikipedia not to be considered the UK Data
> Controller for Personal data on and processed for Wikipedia EN. But I
> would like to see confirmation of that (perhaps this is why the foundation
> has retained the right to withdraw trademarks rather having the right to
> fire the board?).

Chapters have no control or any sort over the data held by WMF (and
vice-versa). As such Data Protection law doesn't come into it for on-wiki
membership information information.

> I couldn't find an existing data protection registration for wikipedia or
> wikimedia with the Information commission
> http://www.ico.gov.uk/ESDWebPages/Search.asp but if the new charity is
> going to process information on members and donors it probably needs to
> register - which currently costs £35 per annum. I'd suggest that that
> registration makes it clear that the charity does not control the data on
> Wikipedia EN.

Checks were made at the creation of WMUK/WER and because there was only
administrative (listing, subscriptions) use being made of the names and
addresses *explicitly* given to WMUK/WER in order to undertake those
administrative functions, then registration was not required. Doesn't do
any harm though (but first get in some money and the ability to pay out
for DP registration, CRB checks, etc, etc. There are far better things to
do with early money!)

Alison

Re: Board Of Directors

Alison M. Wheeler
On Thu, September 11, 2008 12:02, joseph seddon wrote:
> There may be issues at the beginning with getting a bank account. Given
> you are under 18 you will have no credit history.
> For a bank that is a bad thing.

This. We found issues including that one director lived at home so had no
bills, etc. in his name. It is a craziness of the UK system that in order
to be considered a "good credit risk" you need to owe money. Owing nobody
money and having no bills is seen as a bad risk! I would *very* strongly
recommend that the signatories to the Memorandum and Articles are:

* over 18
* have not moved home in the last three years
* preferably not in private rented housing
* have never had court judgements against them (CCJ, Bankruptcy, etc) no
matter how long ago they were cleared and (supposedly) wiped from the
record
* in full-time employment
* have a selection of bills in their name
* have a full UK passport
* Be a British national

This may sound excessive (it does to me) but these are what banks now work
on for 'credit scoring' which is all automated rather than the bank
manager using some common sense.

Alison

Re: Board Of Directors

Chris Wood-7

Alison I have just spoken to my next door neighbours daughter who works in a bank and she says that there are special exceptions. If you would like me to find out what they are then please dont hesitate to ask me privately of what you want to know and I will get back to you on it.  I do pay bills at home but dont live on my own I still live with parents but pay the bills.

Chris

> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:17:27 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] Board Of Directors
>
> On Thu, September 11, 2008 12:02, joseph seddon wrote:
>> There may be issues at the beginning with getting a bank account. Given
>> you are under 18 you will have no credit history.
>> For a bank that is a bad thing.
>
> This. We found issues including that one director lived at home so had no
> bills, etc. in his name. It is a craziness of the UK system that in order
> to be considered a "good credit risk" you need to owe money. Owing nobody
> money and having no bills is seen as a bad risk! I would *very* strongly
> recommend that the signatories to the Memorandum and Articles are:
>
> * over 18
> * have not moved home in the last three years
> * preferably not in private rented housing
> * have never had court judgements against them (CCJ, Bankruptcy, etc) no
> matter how long ago they were cleared and (supposedly) wiped from the
> record
> * in full-time employment
> * have a selection of bills in their name
> * have a full UK passport
> * Be a British national
>
> This may sound excessive (it does to me) but these are what banks now work
> on for 'credit scoring' which is all automated rather than the bank
> manager using some common sense.
>
> Alison

Re: Board Of Directors

2008/9/11 Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]>:

> * Be a British national

Note that I passed everything else, by the way. And in the rest of my
financial life, aspiring creditors *love* me as a source of juicy
interest payments. Eegh.

- d.

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Andrew Whitworth-2
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:23 AM, jonathan cardy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm assuming that someone from Chapcom has looked into this and designed the proposed chapter structure so that the UK chapter would be sufficiently independent from Wikipedia not to be considered the UK Data Controller for Personal data on and processed for Wikipedia EN. But I would like to see confirmation of that (perhaps this is why the foundation has retained the right to withdraw trademarks rather having the right to fire the board?).

As a chapter you are an independently operated organization with no
jurisdiction over, ownership of, or responsibility for the projects of
the WMF. The projects are operated and maintained solely by the WMF in
the states Florida and California and are subject to the laws and
restrictions of those places. As a chapter you should not include any
language in your bylaws or other resolutions to the contrary, to
prevent confusion.

The short answer is: No, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

> Incidentally I've now checked out www.justgiving.com and they will accept unregistered charities, however neither Wikipedia nor Wikimedia are registered with them, though Wikimedia but strangely not Wikipedia are registered with their US equivalent http://www.firstgiving.com.

"Wikipedia" is not a charity, it is one of several projects operated
by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation. The Wikimedia Foundation is a
USA-based organization with no ties or formal presence in the UK.

-Andrew Whitworth

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

geni
2008/9/11 Chris Wood <[hidden email]>:

> Am I allowed to change the page about the [[Wikimedia UK v2.0/Candidate statements/Declaration]] or havent we agreed that board members can be under 18?
>
> Chris

It add potential barriers so we agree no such thing.

--
geni

Re: Board Of Directors

geni
2008/9/11 Chris Wood <[hidden email]>:

> Alison I have just spoken to my next door neighbours daughter who works in a bank and >she says that there are special exceptions.

Problem is triggering them. In most cases you need some kind of hold
over the bank such as having a large existing deposit you can threaten
to withdraw. For something like WMUK 2.0 saying no is the easy option
so they are going to do that unless you are a complete walk through in
terms of meeting requirements.

--
geni

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Andrew Cates-5
I am sure you have looked at all possible structures and so know this,
but there is an interchangability between UK and US charitable giving
which means a UK chapter is not strictly needed. It is fairly recent
so just in case people don't know:

CAFAmerica run a "friends of" program which allows UK charities offer
US tax eligibility to US donors (via the CAFAmerica registration which
is set up as a US charity giving money to UK charities) and CAF run a
program in the UK which allows UK donors to giftaid and reclaim tax on
donations to US charities such as WMF. If you want therefore only one
of these locations is needed.

This may be relatively heavy and costly in admin and there are other
implications but it does offer a strict alternative.

BozMo

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Andrew Whitworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:23 AM, jonathan cardy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm assuming that someone from Chapcom has looked into this and designed the proposed chapter structure so that the UK chapter would be sufficiently independent from Wikipedia not to be considered the UK Data Controller for Personal data on and processed for Wikipedia EN. But I would like to see confirmation of that (perhaps this is why the foundation has retained the right to withdraw trademarks rather having the right to fire the board?).
>
> As a chapter you are an independently operated organization with no
> jurisdiction over, ownership of, or responsibility for the projects of
> the WMF. The projects are operated and maintained solely by the WMF in
> the states Florida and California and are subject to the laws and
> restrictions of those places. As a chapter you should not include any
> language in your bylaws or other resolutions to the contrary, to
> prevent confusion.
>
> The short answer is: No, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
>
>> Incidentally I've now checked out www.justgiving.com and they will accept unregistered charities, however neither Wikipedia nor Wikimedia are registered with them, though Wikimedia but strangely not Wikipedia are registered with their US equivalent http://www.firstgiving.com.
>
> "Wikipedia" is not a charity, it is one of several projects operated
> by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation. The Wikimedia Foundation is a
> USA-based organization with no ties or formal presence in the UK.
>
> -Andrew Whitworth

Re: Board Of Directors

Sam Korn
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:52 PM, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2008/9/11 Chris Wood <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Alison I have just spoken to my next door neighbours daughter who works in a bank and >she says that there are special exceptions.
>
> Problem is triggering them. In most cases you need some kind of hold
> over the bank such as having a large existing deposit you can threaten
> to withdraw. For something like WMUK 2.0 saying no is the easy option
> so they are going to do that unless you are a complete walk through in
> terms of meeting requirements.

It strikes me that the first and most pressing objective of the board
should be to obtain charitable status, for which, as we have seen so
clearly, a bank account is necessary.  Accepting directors aged under
18 (and therefore without credit ratings) seems likely to place
additional obstacles in the path towards charitable status.

I agree that having directors of 16 or 17 would be a "nice to have".
I don't think it's important enough to compromise the most important
aim of the project.

--
Sam
PGP public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sam_Korn/public_key

Re: Board Of Directors

joseph seddon
> >> Alison I have just spoken to my next door neighbours daughter who works in a bank and >she says that there are special exceptions.

> > Problem is triggering them. In most cases you need some kind of hold
> > over the bank such as having a large existing deposit you can threaten
> > to withdraw. For something like WMUK 2.0 saying no is the easy option
> > so they are going to do that unless you are a complete walk through in
> > terms of meeting requirements.
>
> It strikes me that the first and most pressing objective of the board
> should be to obtain charitable status, for which, as we have seen so
> clearly, a bank account is necessary. Accepting directors aged under
> 18 (and therefore without credit ratings) seems likely to place
> additional obstacles in the path towards charitable status.
>
> I agree that having directors of 16 or 17 would be a "nice to have".
> I don't think it's important enough to compromise the most important
> aim of the project.

I would have to agree with Sam Korn. What i would suggest is this. Firstly
have people over 18 year olds, and that meet all requirements get the bank
account. Then after everything is dealt with, we can then look towards
having 16 and 17 year old directors in the future. I do feel that it is in the best
interests of WMUK not to have 16/17 year old directors at this time. We have
enough problems to deal with at this moment in time as an unfortunate result of
the way UK banking works, we don't need to add to those difficulties. I hope
you understand this :)

Seddon

Try Facebook in Windows Live Messenger! Try it Now!

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Thomas Dalton
2008/9/11 Andrew Cates <[hidden email]>:

> I am sure you have looked at all possible structures and so know this,
> but there is an interchangability between UK and US charitable giving
> which means a UK chapter is not strictly needed. It is fairly recent
> so just in case people don't know:
>
> CAFAmerica run a "friends of" program which allows UK charities offer
> US tax eligibility to US donors (via the CAFAmerica registration which
> is set up as a US charity giving money to UK charities) and CAF run a
> program in the UK which allows UK donors to giftaid and reclaim tax on
> donations to US charities such as WMF. If you want therefore only one
> of these locations is needed.
>
> This may be relatively heavy and costly in admin and there are other
> implications but it does offer a strict alternative.

I didn't know that, and that's very interesting. There is more to a
chapter than just fundraising for WMF, though. It is something the WMF
should look into, though (it might harm WMUK's fundraising, but oh
well!).

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Thomas Dalton
2008/9/11 Chris Wood <[hidden email]>:

> Am I allowed to change the page about the [[Wikimedia UK v2.0/Candidate statements/Declaration]] or havent we agreed that board members can be under 18?

Have you read the charity commission's guidance on child directors? If
so, what are your answers to all the issues they say need to be taken
into account?