Refusing CRB check

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Andrew Cates-5
If you want to be wicked about it, it also allows the UK chapter to go
fundraising in the US...

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2008/9/11 Andrew Cates <[hidden email]>:
>> I am sure you have looked at all possible structures and so know this,
>> but there is an interchangability between UK and US charitable giving
>> which means a UK chapter is not strictly needed. It is fairly recent
>> so just in case people don't know:
>>
>> CAFAmerica run a "friends of" program which allows UK charities offer
>> US tax eligibility to US donors (via the CAFAmerica registration which
>> is set up as a US charity giving money to UK charities) and CAF run a
>> program in the UK which allows UK donors to giftaid and reclaim tax on
>> donations to US charities such as WMF. If you want therefore only one
>> of these locations is needed.
>>
>> This may be relatively heavy and costly in admin and there are other
>> implications but it does offer a strict alternative.
>
> I didn't know that, and that's very interesting. There is more to a
> chapter than just fundraising for WMF, though. It is something the WMF
> should look into, though (it might harm WMUK's fundraising, but oh
> well!).

Re: Board Of Directors

Thomas Dalton
2008/9/11 Chris Wood <[hidden email]>:

> I do have a Visa Electron credit card account if that helps?

Do you mean credit card, or do you mean debit card? According to
Wikipedia, there is such a thing as an Electron credit card, but I've
never heard of anyone actually having one. I'd be surprised is anyone
would issue a credit card of any type to someone under 18.

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Thomas Dalton
2008/9/11 Andrew Cates <[hidden email]>:
> If you want to be wicked about it, it also allows the UK chapter to go
> fundraising in the US...

I can't imagine many people in the US wanting to donate to the UK
chapter - some might, but it's not going to be a major source of
income!

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

geni
2008/9/11 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
> 2008/9/11 Andrew Cates <[hidden email]>:
>> If you want to be wicked about it, it also allows the UK chapter to go
>> fundraising in the US...
>
> I can't imagine many people in the US wanting to donate to the UK
> chapter - some might, but it's not going to be a major source of
> income!

Depends. Archives from Britian's imperial days have the potential to
reduce systemic bias.

--
geni

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Thomas Dalton
> Depends. Archives from Britian's imperial days have the potential to
> reduce systemic bias.

Which bias? The record keepers of the British Empire weren't the most
neutral bunch...

Re: Board Of Directors

2008/9/11 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
> 2008/9/11 Chris Wood <[hidden email]>:

>> I do have a Visa Electron credit card account if that helps?

> Do you mean credit card, or do you mean debit card? According to
> Wikipedia, there is such a thing as an Electron credit card, but I've
> never heard of anyone actually having one. I'd be surprised is anyone
> would issue a credit card of any type to someone under 18.

It's a debit card that works through the Visa network as a credit card.

- d.

Re: Board Of Directors

Thomas Dalton
2008/9/11 David Gerard <[hidden email]>:

> 2008/9/11 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
>> 2008/9/11 Chris Wood <[hidden email]>:
>
>>> I do have a Visa Electron credit card account if that helps?
>
>> Do you mean credit card, or do you mean debit card? According to
>> Wikipedia, there is such a thing as an Electron credit card, but I've
>> never heard of anyone actually having one. I'd be surprised is anyone
>> would issue a credit card of any type to someone under 18.
>

> It's a debit card that works through the Visa network as a credit card.

You've lost me... what's the point of that? Why not just have a debit card?

Re: Board Of Directors

River Tarnell-2

Re: Board Of Directors

Thomas Dalton
2008/9/11 River Tarnell <[hidden email]>:

> Thomas Dalton:
>> 2008/9/11 David Gerard <[hidden email]>:
>> > It's a debit card that works through the Visa network as a credit card.
>> You've lost me... what's the point of that? Why not just have a debit card?
>
> i also have an Electron _debit_ (not credit) card.  my understanding is that it's
> basically identical to Switch debit, or Visa debit, except that it's available
> to accounts without an overdraft.  i.e., if you make a purchase on an Electron
> card, if there aren't enough funds in the account to cover it, the transaction
> will be denied; unlike Switch, where the transaction will go through
> immediately, but the account might not have enough funds to cover it.

That's my understanding too, I'm just confused by the existence of
Visa Electron credit cards - if you aren't eligible for the tiny bit
of credit involved in an unauthorised overdraft, surely you aren't
eligible for a credit card?

> i can't imagine how this is relevant to WMUK, though!  (perhaps if we want to
> issue company credit/debit cards for incidental expenses...)

This list is surprisingly on-topic most of time - this makes a nice
relief! Company debit cards might be worth considering, but I think
we're a long way from wanting company credit cards - too much
unnecessary risk involved.

Re: Board Of Directors

Alison M. Wheeler
On Thu, September 11, 2008 16:05, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> That's my understanding too, I'm just confused by the existence of
> Visa Electron credit cards - if you aren't eligible for the tiny bit
> of credit involved in an unauthorised overdraft, surely you aren't
> eligible for a credit card?

I'll clarify this (as I have one too)

The "Electron" card is, accurately speaking, a debit card and only a debit
card: the money is deducted from the account immediately (although
actually it is reserved at the time of sale and may take a day or so for
the transaction to be completed)

The difference is that the full number on the card codes as a "Visa
Credit" card, thus it can be used online where a debit card might not be
acceptable to the merchant concerned.

Ah, number theory as applied to reference numbers ;-)

Alison

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

geni
2008/9/11 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
>> Depends. Archives from Britian's imperial days have the potential to
>> reduce systemic bias.
>
> Which bias? The record keepers of the British Empire weren't the most
> neutral bunch...

No but at least there are records (mostly obviously some have been
lost or deliberately destroyed). There are larger areas of the world
were the simply are no other 19th centry sources. India is one example
there are a lot of Victorian documents and drawings relating to areas
of india which we have almost no coverage of.

--
geni

2008/9/11 geni <[hidden email]>:

> 2008/9/11 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
>>> Depends. Archives from Britian's imperial days have the potential to
>>> reduce systemic bias.
>>
>> Which bias? The record keepers of the British Empire weren't the most
>> neutral bunch...
>
> No but at least there are records (mostly obviously some have been
> lost or deliberately destroyed). There are larger areas of the world
> were the simply are no other 19th centry sources. India is one example
> there are a lot of Victorian documents and drawings relating to areas
> of india which we have almost no coverage of.

We should organise a field trip to the British Library. Half a dozen
Wikipedians, some readers passes and a long list of requests for
images and references and we could have a very productive day.

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

geni
2008/9/11 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
> We should organise a field trip to the British Library. Half a dozen
> Wikipedians, some readers passes and a long list of requests for
> images and references and we could have a very productive day.

We could but they won't let you take your owner camera and/or scanner.
University libraries might be a better bet.

--
geni

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Andrew Cates-5
Well I have a senior member's card for Cambridge University library,
which is a copyright library if you are serious...but I also have out
of copyright books on my bookshelves at home which haven't been done
yet. County records offices are everywhere too and charge about £5 a
day for unlimited electronic copying. Perhaps we should get set up
first...

Andrew

2008/9/11 geni <[hidden email]>:
> 2008/9/11 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
>> We should organise a field trip to the British Library. Half a dozen
>> Wikipedians, some readers passes and a long list of requests for
>> images and references and we could have a very productive day.
>
> We could but they won't let you take your owner camera and/or scanner.
> University libraries might be a better bet.

Presumably they have photocopiers (the stuff you're talking about will
be public domain, yes?). Uni libraries are good for books, they're not
so great for old records - they'll have some, but the British Library
will be guaranteed to have anything you want (assuming it exists
somewhere).

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

geni
2008/9/11 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
> Presumably they have photocopiers (the stuff you're talking about will
> be public domain, yes?). Uni libraries are good for books, they're not
> so great for old records - they'll have some, but the British Library
> will be guaranteed to have anything you want (assuming it exists
> somewhere).

Yes but they are not going to let you and me photocopy. In any case
scans of photocopies tend not to be that good see
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Portsmouth_and_Arundel_Canal
for examples.

--
geni

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

joseph seddon
> > Presumably they have photocopiers (the stuff you're talking about will

> > be public domain, yes?). Uni libraries are good for books, they're not
> > so great for old records - they'll have some, but the British Library
> > will be guaranteed to have anything you want (assuming it exists
> > somewhere).
> >

> Yes but they are not going to let you and me photocopy. In any case
> scans of photocopies tend not to be that good see
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Portsmouth_and_Arundel_Canal
> for examples.

I'm good friends with User:Durova @ en-wiki. She might be interested in doing some
restorations for us.

Win £3000 to spend on whatever you want at Uni! Click here to WIN!

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Andrew Cates-5
Hmm, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_University_Library#Legal_deposit_library
I am not sure the British Library has more and access is harder than
at Cambridge.

On quality I did images of this quality
http://www.john-leech-archive.org.uk/sample.htm from a book with a
good digital camera. Photocopies are generally not allow on bound
books. A camera with a good lens is better in my view

Andrew

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:38 PM, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2008/9/11 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
>> Presumably they have photocopiers (the stuff you're talking about will
>> be public domain, yes?). Uni libraries are good for books, they're not
>> so great for old records - they'll have some, but the British Library
>> will be guaranteed to have anything you want (assuming it exists
>> somewhere).
>>

> Yes but they are not going to let you and me photocopy. In any case
> scans of photocopies tend not to be that good see
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Portsmouth_and_Arundel_Canal
> for examples.
>
> --
> geni

Re: Privacy ages of directors, subsidiarity and registered charities

Andrew Gray
2008/9/11 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:

> Presumably they have photocopiers (the stuff you're talking about will
> be public domain, yes?). Uni libraries are good for books, they're not
> so great for old records - they'll have some, but the British Library
> will be guaranteed to have anything you want (assuming it exists
> somewhere).

A quick digression.

There are five legal deposit libraries in the United Kingdom, plus
Trinity in Dublin. Each of these is entitled to recieve a copy of each
book published in the country, and has been for a varying period of
time.

They do not all acquire everything; there is plenty of material which
is only in one or two of them. The BL is the largest, but certainly
isn't guaranteed to be comprehensive - I mean, *I* possess books the
BL doesn't. As for "old records", well, you'd be amazed at the archive
material held by your average major university.

We're looking at repositories here which are - from a digitisation
purpose - 90% untouched. Once you're at that scale, the fine details
of comparative size becomes less critical...

--
- Andrew Gray

2008/9/11 geni <[hidden email]>:

> 2008/9/11 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
>> Presumably they have photocopiers (the stuff you're talking about will
>> be public domain, yes?). Uni libraries are good for books, they're not
>> so great for old records - they'll have some, but the British Library
>> will be guaranteed to have anything you want (assuming it exists
>> somewhere).
>>

> Yes but they are not going to let you and me photocopy. In any case
> scans of photocopies tend not to be that good see
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Portsmouth_and_Arundel_Canal
> for examples.

Why not? http://www.bl.uk/services/reading/conditions.html gives some
(perfectly reasonable) conditions on copying, but as long as we follow
them, there's should be no problem.