Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

Andreas Vilén
Hi, I've started a discussion at svwiki about registering the address
www.wikipedia.se (.se is the primary domain of Sweden), but it's
currently owned by someone, and it will probably cost money to buy it.
I have not contacted the person who owns it yet, but I'm checking if
there's any way this could be financed by Wikimedia? I also see that
for example www.wikipedia.de, www.wikipedia.no and www.wikipedia.pl
already exists.

I think registering the .se address would increase traffic to the
Swedish Wikipedia, since many today probably believe there is only an
English version of it, and I don't know, but I suspect that traffic to
svwiki is relatively low, at least we have pretty few editors.

Is there any possibility this could be done?

Thank you!

Andreas

Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

M. Williamson
I don't agree with this move. I think that Wikipedia.se should be a
portal with links to the Swedish, Finnish, and Sami Wikipedias because
they are all languages of Sweden.

Mark

On 17/01/06, Andreas Vilén <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I've started a discussion at svwiki about registering the address
> www.wikipedia.se (.se is the primary domain of Sweden), but it's
> currently owned by someone, and it will probably cost money to buy it.
> I have not contacted the person who owns it yet, but I'm checking if
> there's any way this could be financed by Wikimedia? I also see that
> for example www.wikipedia.de, www.wikipedia.no and www.wikipedia.pl
> already exists.
>
> I think registering the .se address would increase traffic to the
> Swedish Wikipedia, since many today probably believe there is only an
> English version of it, and I don't know, but I suspect that traffic to
> svwiki is relatively low, at least we have pretty few editors.
>
> Is there any possibility this could be done?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Andreas

"Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin

Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

Andrew Gray
On 17/01/06, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't agree with this move. I think that Wikipedia.se should be a
> portal with links to the Swedish, Finnish, and Sami Wikipedias because
> they are all languages of Sweden.

This is what was done with wikimedia.org.uk and .co.uk - though,
oddly, not with wikipedia.co.uk and .org.uk, which both redirect to
en.wiki. Their choice of the six languages to list is a little odd,
though - sco. has about 1300 pages, whereas gv. has under 20!

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

Angela-5
> This is what was done with wikimedia.org.uk and .co.uk - though,
> oddly, not with wikipedia.co.uk and .org.uk, which both redirect to
> en.wiki. Their choice of the six languages to list is a little odd,
> though - sco. has about 1300 pages, whereas gv. has under 20!

There was never a decision to exclude sco. The Scots Wikipedia didn't
exist until June 2005. I created what became the portal in September
2004 <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Portal.png>. Which reminds
me... I just randomly pasted in text from the intro on various
Wikipedias and as far as I know, it has never been checked by a native
speaker. It was meant as a demo, not something which would really
become wikimedia.co.uk. :)

This would be better as the Wikipedia portal, not Wikimedia one, since
it's excluding the rest of the projects and saying nothing about the
Wikimedia UK chapter.

Angela.

Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

Sam Korn
On 1/17/06, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This would be better as the Wikipedia portal, not Wikimedia one, since
> it's excluding the rest of the projects and saying nothing about the
> Wikimedia UK chapter.

I presume wikimedia.org.uk will become the website of the WMFUK
chapter, not just a portal including it, along the lines of
www.wikimedia.fr

--
Sam

Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

James Forrester-5

Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

Andreas Vilén
In that case you could add the romani and jiddish wikis and remove the
sv. wiki since Swedish is not an official language of Sweden but those
are... The point is, of course, that the majority of the Swedish
inhabitants speak Swedish, and when they go to an .se address they
assume to find content in Swedish. I guess most Swedish finns would go
to www.wikipedia.fi (which links directly to fiwiki, when Swedish has
shared official status with Finnish in Finland) if they searched for
content in Finnish.

All top domains I search for are redirects to their country's primary
language, I don't see why www.wikipedia.se shouldn't. In fact, since
wikipedia.fi is, that would be pure discrimination. Especially since
Swedish is far more widespread in Finland than Finnish is in Sweden.

But this wasn't really the point of the discussion. The point is: is
is possible to finance the purchase of the domain name?

/Andreas
On 1/17/06, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't agree with this move. I think that Wikipedia.se should be a
> portal with links to the Swedish, Finnish, and Sami Wikipedias because
> they are all languages of Sweden.
>
> Mark
>
> On 17/01/06, Andreas Vilén <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi, I've started a discussion at svwiki about registering the address
> > www.wikipedia.se (.se is the primary domain of Sweden), but it's
> > currently owned by someone, and it will probably cost money to buy it.
> > I have not contacted the person who owns it yet, but I'm checking if
> > there's any way this could be financed by Wikimedia? I also see that
> > for example www.wikipedia.de, www.wikipedia.no and www.wikipedia.pl
> > already exists.
> >
> > I think registering the .se address would increase traffic to the
> > Swedish Wikipedia, since many today probably believe there is only an
> > English version of it, and I don't know, but I suspect that traffic to
> > svwiki is relatively low, at least we have pretty few editors.
> >
> > Is there any possibility this could be done?
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Andreas

> "Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin

Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

Phil Boswell

"Andreas Vilén" <[hidden email]>
wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
[snip]
> All top domains I search for are redirects to their country's primary
> language, I don't see why www.wikipedia.se shouldn't. In fact, since
> wikipedia.fi is, that would be pure discrimination. Especially since
> Swedish is far more widespread in Finland than Finnish is in Sweden.

Maybe they should therefore be updated to provide proper portal
facilities...unless there's a chapter in that country in which case surely
they ought to be doing something with "their site"?
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]

Re: Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

Andreas Vilén
This is taking NPOV to the extreme... 99% of all people living in
Sweden except to get to a site in Swedish when they go to a website
with the ending .se, probably most Swedish Finns would go to
www.wikipedia.se (and surely not sv.wikipedia.org) if they wanted to
find Wikipedia in Swedish, not www.wikipedia.fi. But as I have said
numerous times, this is another discussion.

The question is: "Is it possible to get Wikimedia to pay for the
domain name www.wikipedia.se?"

/Andreas
On 1/18/06, Phil Boswell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Andreas Vilén" <[hidden email]>
> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> [snip]
> > All top domains I search for are redirects to their country's primary
> > language, I don't see why www.wikipedia.se shouldn't. In fact, since
> > wikipedia.fi is, that would be pure discrimination. Especially since
> > Swedish is far more widespread in Finland than Finnish is in Sweden.
>
> Maybe they should therefore be updated to provide proper portal
> facilities...unless there's a chapter in that country in which case surely
> they ought to be doing something with "their site"?
> --
> Phil
> [[en:User:Phil Boswell]]

Re: Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

M. Williamson
I don't think they would if you had it redirect to the Swedish
Wikipedia. Wikipedia is for languages, not countries.

Please see, for example, http://www.wikipedia.ch or
http://www.wikipedia.dk or http://wikimedia.co.uk

Mark

On 18/01/06, Andreas Vilén <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is taking NPOV to the extreme... 99% of all people living in
> Sweden except to get to a site in Swedish when they go to a website
> with the ending .se, probably most Swedish Finns would go to
> www.wikipedia.se (and surely not sv.wikipedia.org) if they wanted to
> find Wikipedia in Swedish, not www.wikipedia.fi. But as I have said
> numerous times, this is another discussion.
>
> The question is: "Is it possible to get Wikimedia to pay for the
> domain name www.wikipedia.se?"
>
> /Andreas
> On 1/18/06, Phil Boswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > "Andreas Vilén" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote in message
> > news:[hidden email]...
> > [snip]
> > > All top domains I search for are redirects to their country's primary
> > > language, I don't see why www.wikipedia.se shouldn't. In fact, since
> > > wikipedia.fi is, that would be pure discrimination. Especially since
> > > Swedish is far more widespread in Finland than Finnish is in Sweden.
> >
> > Maybe they should therefore be updated to provide proper portal
> > facilities...unless there's a chapter in that country in which case surely
> > they ought to be doing something with "their site"?
> > --
> > Phil
> > [[en:User:Phil Boswell]]

"Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin

Re: Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se forsv.wikipedia.org

Phil Boswell
"Mark Williamson" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:[hidden email]...
[snip]
> Please see, for example,  http://wikimedia.co.uk

As opposed to http://wikipedia.co.uk which redirects to :en:

HTH HAND
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]

Re: Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

Andreas Vilén
The difference is that Switzerland and Denmark have several common
languages for different geographical locations (as well as Finland as
I have pointed out... Why aren't www.wikipedia.fi or
www.wikipedia.co.uk portals?) To force www.wikipedia.se to be a portal
to Swedish and then all the minority languages of Sweden is just
absurd.

/Andreas

On 1/19/06, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think they would if you had it redirect to the Swedish
> Wikipedia. Wikipedia is for languages, not countries.
>
> Please see, for example, http://www.wikipedia.ch or
> http://www.wikipedia.dk or http://wikimedia.co.uk
>
> Mark
>
> On 18/01/06, Andreas Vilén <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This is taking NPOV to the extreme... 99% of all people living in
> > Sweden except to get to a site in Swedish when they go to a website
> > with the ending .se, probably most Swedish Finns would go to
> > www.wikipedia.se (and surely not sv.wikipedia.org) if they wanted to
> > find Wikipedia in Swedish, not www.wikipedia.fi. But as I have said
> > numerous times, this is another discussion.
> >
> > The question is: "Is it possible to get Wikimedia to pay for the
> > domain name www.wikipedia.se?"
> >
> > /Andreas
> > On 1/18/06, Phil Boswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > "Andreas Vilén" <[hidden email]>
> > > wrote in message
> > > news:[hidden email]...
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > Maybe they should therefore be updated to provide proper portal
> > > facilities...unless there's a chapter in that country in which case surely
> > > they ought to be doing something with "their site"?
> > > --
> > > Phil
> > > [[en:User:Phil Boswell]]

> "Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin

Re: Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

M. Williamson
Switzerland, yes; Denmark, no. Yes, Faroese and Greenlandic are
"regional languages" of the Kingdom of Denmark, but they are spoken
only by tiny percentages of the population.

Greenland, Iceland, and the Faroes also have their own domain names --
using YOUR logic, Greenlandic should only be at www.wikipedia.gl,
Icelandic at www.wikipedia.is, and Faroese at www.wikipedia.fo

And yet, the people tending to the portal cared enough to protect
those minorities by including them. Despite the fact that the
Greenlandic Wikipedia only has about a dozen articles, and each of
them has their own domain name.

Sámi doesn't have it's own domain though...

And yes, wikipedia.fi should be a portal. But who pays for it? Not the
Foundation.

I think that if the FOundation pays for your domain, you should have a
portal for ALL of the langauges of Sweden. If you pay for it yourself
though, it's up to you.

Mark

On 19/01/06, Andreas Vilén <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The difference is that Switzerland and Denmark have several common
> languages for different geographical locations (as well as Finland as
> I have pointed out... Why aren't www.wikipedia.fi or
> www.wikipedia.co.uk portals?) To force www.wikipedia.se to be a portal
> to Swedish and then all the minority languages of Sweden is just
> absurd.
>
> /Andreas
>
> On 1/19/06, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I don't think they would if you had it redirect to the Swedish
> > Wikipedia. Wikipedia is for languages, not countries.
> >
> > Please see, for example, http://www.wikipedia.ch or
> > http://www.wikipedia.dk or http://wikimedia.co.uk
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > On 18/01/06, Andreas Vilén <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > This is taking NPOV to the extreme... 99% of all people living in
> > > Sweden except to get to a site in Swedish when they go to a website
> > > with the ending .se, probably most Swedish Finns would go to
> > > www.wikipedia.se (and surely not sv.wikipedia.org) if they wanted to
> > > find Wikipedia in Swedish, not www.wikipedia.fi. But as I have said
> > > numerous times, this is another discussion.
> > >
> > > The question is: "Is it possible to get Wikimedia to pay for the
> > > domain name www.wikipedia.se?"
> > >
> > > /Andreas

> > "Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin

"Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin

Re: Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

Carlos Thompson
Andreas Vilén escribió:

>Hi, I've started a discussion at svwiki about registering the address
>www.wikipedia.se (.se is the primary domain of Sweden), but it's
>currently owned by someone, and it will probably cost money to buy it.
>I have not contacted the person who owns it yet, but I'm checking if
>there's any way this could be financed by Wikimedia? I also see that
>for example www.wikipedia.de, www.wikipedia.no and www.wikipedia.pl
>already exists.

It might work if www.wikipedia.se redirects to sv.wikipedia.org and
chapter.wikipedia.se to the Swedish chapter.  If there is no Swedish
chapter, well, it might be time to create one.  You can also have
fi.wikipedia.se and se.wikipedia.se redirecting to the respective
languages... or even better:
  (www.)wikipedia.se/wiki --> sv.wikipedia.org/wiki
  (www.)wikipedia.se/fi --> fi.wikipedia.org/wiki
  (www.)wikipedia.se/se --> se.wikipedia.org/wiki
  (www.)wikipedia.se/chapter --> chapter.wikipedia.se
... well, something like that.

>I think registering the .se address would increase traffic to the
>Swedish Wikipedia, since many today probably believe there is only an
>English version of it, and I don't know, but I suspect that traffic to
>svwiki is relatively low, at least we have pretty few editors.
>
>Is there any possibility this could be done?

Through the Swedish chapter, sure.