Release notes updating

Amir E. Aharoni
Hi,

At https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/33163/ TheDJ commented that I
should have updated the release notes.

At another commit I made once (forgot which one) somebody commented
that I shouldn't have updated the release notes and that this should
only be done by the release manager, because this helps avoid merge
conflicts and because the release manager has better judgment about
which issues are important enough to be mentioned there.

So should I or shouldn't I update them?

I remember a couple of attempts to discuss it, but I don't remember a decision.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: Release notes updating

Chad
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> At another commit I made once (forgot which one) somebody commented
> that I shouldn't have updated the release notes and that this should
> only be done by the release manager, because this helps avoid merge
> conflicts and because the release manager has better judgment about
> which issues are important enough to be mentioned there.

You *should* update release notes. This statement about having the
release manager do all release notes is incorrect.

-Chad

Re: Release notes updating

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> At another commit I made once (forgot which one) somebody commented
>> that I shouldn't have updated the release notes and that this should
>> only be done by the release manager, because this helps avoid merge
>> conflicts and because the release manager has better judgment about
>> which issues are important enough to be mentioned there.
>>

> You *should* update release notes. This statement about having the
> release manager do all release notes is incorrect.

I've never heard that "release manager" claim either.

The current "word" on release notes seems to be at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/CC#Release_notes, which says "All
significant changes to the core software which might affect wiki
users, server administrators, or extension authors, must be documented
in the RELEASE-NOTES file." I've been interpreting that as including
pretty much any bug that was reported by a wiki user.

Re: Release notes updating

Chad
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Brad Jorsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> At another commit I made once (forgot which one) somebody commented
>>> that I shouldn't have updated the release notes and that this should
>>> only be done by the release manager, because this helps avoid merge
>>> conflicts and because the release manager has better judgment about
>>> which issues are important enough to be mentioned there.
>>>

>> You *should* update release notes. This statement about having the
>> release manager do all release notes is incorrect.
>
> I've never heard that "release manager" claim either.
>
> The current "word" on release notes seems to be at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/CC#Release_notes, which says "All
> significant changes to the core software which might affect wiki
> users, server administrators, or extension authors, must be documented
> in the RELEASE-NOTES file." I've been interpreting that as including
> pretty much any bug that was reported by a wiki user.

Indeed. That's always been the case.

-Chad

Re: Release notes updating

K. Peachey-2
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM, Brad Jorsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> You *should* update release notes. This statement about having the
>> release manager do all release notes is incorrect.
>
> I've never heard that "release manager" claim either.

It was from a discussion about the release notes after our change to
git because it was conflicting too much or something of the likes,
AFAIK that is what was decided but no one stuck to it and we
"reverted" to where everyone does their own.