Reliability in the era of alternative facts and information warfare

Reliability in the era of alternative facts and information warfare

Pine W
A thought-provoking newspaper column about a University of Washington
professor's troubling findings:
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/uw-professor-the-information-war-is-real-and-were-losing-it/

Quoting briefly from the article:

"Starbird is publishing her paper as a sort of warning. The information
networks we’ve built are almost perfectly designed to exploit psychological
vulnerabilities to rumor."

"Your brain tells you ‘Hey, I got this from three different sources,’ ” she
says. “But you don’t realize it all traces back to the same place, and
might have even reached you via bots posing as real people. If we think of
this as a virus, I wouldn’t know how to vaccinate for it.”

Pine

Re: Reliability in the era of alternative facts and information warfare

Jodi Schneider-3
Thanks, Pine.

Here's her ICWSM preprint "Examining the Alternative Media Ecosystem
through the Production of Alternative Narratives of Mass Shooting Events on
Twitter":
http://faculty.washington.edu/kstarbi/Alt_Narratives_ICWSM17-CameraReady.pdf
via
https://twitter.com/katestarbird/status/848254127289257984

She's also written up a blog post about it:
https://medium.com/hci-design-at-uw/information-wars-a-window-into-the-alternative-media-ecosystem-a1347f32fd8f

Really appreciate your sharing this, I hadn't seen it!

-Jodi

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 11:51 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A thought-provoking newspaper column about a University of Washington
> professor's troubling findings:
> http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/uw-
> professor-the-information-war-is-real-and-were-losing-it/
>
> Quoting briefly from the article:
>
> "Starbird is publishing her paper as a sort of warning. The information
> networks we’ve built are almost perfectly designed to exploit psychological
> vulnerabilities to rumor."
>
> "Your brain tells you ‘Hey, I got this from three different sources,’ ” she
> says. “But you don’t realize it all traces back to the same place, and
> might have even reached you via bots posing as real people. If we think of
> this as a virus, I wouldn’t know how to vaccinate for it.”
>
> Pine

Re: Reliability in the era of alternative facts and information warfare

Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia-3
Hi, just a quick plug to mention our ICWSM workshop on Digital
Misinformation, in Montreal the next 15th of May.

cnets.indiana.edu/blog/2016/12/29/icwsm-2017-misinformation-workshop/

A preliminary program is available; and Kate Starbird will be one of the
panelist.

Cheers!

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 3:05 PM Jodi Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Pine.
>
> Here's her ICWSM preprint "Examining the Alternative Media Ecosystem
> through the Production of Alternative Narratives of Mass Shooting Events on
> Twitter":
>
> http://faculty.washington.edu/kstarbi/Alt_Narratives_ICWSM17-CameraReady.pdf
> via
> https://twitter.com/katestarbird/status/848254127289257984
>
> She's also written up a blog post about it:
>
> https://medium.com/hci-design-at-uw/information-wars-a-window-into-the-alternative-media-ecosystem-a1347f32fd8f
>
> Really appreciate your sharing this, I hadn't seen it!
>
> -Jodi
>
> On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 11:51 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > A thought-provoking newspaper column about a University of Washington
> > professor's troubling findings:
> > http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/uw-
> > professor-the-information-war-is-real-and-were-losing-it/
> >
> > Quoting briefly from the article:
> >
> > "Starbird is publishing her paper as a sort of warning. The information
> > networks we’ve built are almost perfectly designed to exploit
> psychological
> > vulnerabilities to rumor."
> >
> > "Your brain tells you ‘Hey, I got this from three different sources,’ ”
> she
> > says. “But you don’t realize it all traces back to the same place, and
> > might have even reached you via bots posing as real people. If we think
> of
> > this as a virus, I wouldn’t know how to vaccinate for it.”
> >
> > Pine

Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia <http://glciampaglia.com/> *∙* Assistant Research
Scientist, Indiana University