Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania

Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania

Cornelius Kibelka

Dear Wikimedians,

We are a strong, large, and diverse communities that is constantly growing. Nevertheless, over the years some of us pass away and leave us. Wikimania – as our global gathering – is an opportunity to honour them and remember them.

For that reason, as this year's Wikimania, I have create a "Mourning corner" where you can take your time and mourn those that have passed away. The corner is outside directly left of the main entrance of the Aula Magna building. It is a bench close to a tree, the tree is decorated with white origami cranes.

On the Wikimania map, the bench is marked as "H" (also called Sirleaf Bench). I've uploaded a map indicating it.[1]

If you have any questions regarding the Mourning corner, please let me know.

Best regards
Cornelius

--
Cornelius Kibelka
Internationale Beziehungen | International Relations

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania

Takashi OTA
Thank you for setting up this place.
I miss Ray Saintonge and Aaron Schwarz.

—Takashi

2019年8月16日(金) 10:54 Cornelius Kibelka <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Hi Takashi,

as previously written, I collected names of Wikipedians/Wikimedians who have passed away since last Wikimania (August 2018).

Best regards
Cornelius

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 13:56, Takashi OTA <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Samat-2
Dear Cornelius,

I've missed the opportunity to react on this initiative until now.

I would like to express my gratitude for your idea remembering our community members who passed away. I like the idea and I liked how it was implemented. Thank you for that!
(I took pictures about the "Mourning corner", and I will upload them on Commons later.)

Best wishes,
Samat

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 at 10:54, Cornelius Kibelka <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

FULBERT-2
I agree about the Mourning Corner. This was one of the more peaceful and reflective experiences of the conference, and I was deeply moved by it.

While I do not believe I knew any of the people mentioned by name, seeing we are part of a community that extends past our time in this place is a fitting symbol of how our work holds impact beyond our direct edits.

-----

With Incredulity toward Metanarratives,

Jeffrey

User:FULBERT

On Aug 21, 2019, at 5:26 AM, Samat <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Gnangarra

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 14:36, Jan Ainali <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), Never Again: Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8, UWAP, 2017.  Order here.

Re: Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
And many more languages/projects have pages, listed at https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q4655446

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 9:05 AM Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Nick "Quiddity" Wilson (he/him)
Community Engagement - Documentation

Re: Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania

Cornelius Kibelka
Thank you all for your comments – I really appreciate them, especially as it was something we did for the first time.

Thank you, Jan, for your suggestion. I've created a page on the Wikimania wiki, where I've added some details around it: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Mourning_corner

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best regards
Cornelius

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 11:25, Nick Wilson (Quiddity) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

yamen bousrih
Thanks Cornelius. This was an excellent idea.

I didn't find a category on commons to upload photos so I created this one Mourning_Corner_at_Wikimania_2019 under "Community Village at Wikimania 2019" and uploaded some photos in it.

Thanks
Yamen