Reminder: Tools only on Tool Labs from July 1

Reminder: Tools only on Tool Labs from July 1

Silke Meyer
Hi everyone,

please spread this reminder!

About one year ago, we, Wikimedia Deutschland e. V., announced June 30th
as the deadline of the Toolserver migration (Roadmap at [1]). This
deadline is approaching. The Toolserver will stop working on June 30th.
What will happen afterwards?

Background information
The Toolserver is a community based infrastructure that hosts software
supporting Wikipedia and its sister projects. Over the years many active
volunteers have developed helpful and great software tools that are
running on several Wikimedia projects.
The Toolserver is operated by Wikimedia Deutschland with assistance from
the Wikimedia Foundation and several chapters. For many reasons, the
Toolserver will be discontinued and replaced by Tool Labs [2], a
platform operated by the Wikimedia Foundation. Please see the reasons at
[3]. For more than one year Wikimedia Deutschland has been coordinating
the migration of software tools from Toolserver to Tool Labs.

What editors should know
The toolserver is a community-driven project. The tools shall be
migrated by the developers resp. maintainers themselves. Many of them
have already migrated their tools or have indicated that they will do so
before the end of this month. We have a special agreement with the
OpenStreetMap projects and with the developer of Merlbot [4] to ensure
these tools don’t stop working. All other tools will stop working by
July 1st.

What editors can do
On Tool Labs [2], you can look up if the tools that you use and need
have already moved there.
 Talk to the developers of your favourite tools: It is important to let
them know how much you appreciate their tools and that you need them to
do your work.
Contact us if you don’t know who these developers are or if you have any
questions or if you want us to forward wishes or requests to tool
developers. Contact information is given at the end of this text.

Information for tool developers
If you are still facing the migration of your tools, please keep in mind
that lots of people use your tools. They are a great support for their
daily work and will be missed when they fail. Please take the time to
migrate them or poke us: WMDE can still support you during migration -
what we can’t do is maintain abandoned tools in the long run.
From July 1st on, the toolserver admins will still hand you over your
backups upon request and create redirects to Tool Labs for you. You
won’t be able to log in to the toolserver anymore though.
If anyone wants to have and reuse other people’s code, we recommend to
seek approval from them directly, even if from a legal point of view
there is no problem. Don’t hesitate to talk to us if you need a contact
person.

Here is a collection of the relevant links for you again:

Tool Labs: http://tools.wmflabs.org
Tool Labs help pages:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Tools/Help
How to create redirects to Tool Labs:
https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/.htaccess#.htaccess
Magnus Manske’s migration manual:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Magnus_Manske/Migrating_from_toolserver
Scripts to clean up your toolserver account]] after migration:
https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Main_Page
IRC channel #wikimedia-labs:
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-labs
Marc-André Pelletier (Coren) and Andrew Bogott (andrewbogott) are the
WMF Tool Labs ops. Petr Bena (petan) and Tim Landscheidt (scfc_de) are
voluntary Tool Labs admins.

We invite you to join our IRC office hour in #wikimedia-office on
Wednesday, June 11th, at 5 p.m. UTC.

Contact:
The migration is coordinated by Silke Meyer (WMDE). Birgit Müller
supports her in communications. The two toolserver admins Marlen
Caemmerer und Alexander Mette are glad to help you with advice.
Marc-André Pelletier can answer all questions concerning Tool Labs.
Contact us at
Silke: [hidden email], Talk page at [5], IRC: Silke_WMDE
Birgit: [hidden email], Talk page at [6], IRC: Birgit_WMDE

We hope that the transition will happen as smoothly as possible!
Best, Silke

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Tool_Labs/Roadmap_en
[2] http://tools.wmflabs.org
[3] https://toolserver.org/
[4] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:MerlBot
[5] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer_Diskussion:Silke_WMDE
[6] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer_Diskussion:Birgit_Müller_(WMDE)

--
Silke Meyer
Internes IT-Management und Projektmanagement Toolserver

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: Reminder: Tools only on Tool Labs from July 1

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Can we have an update of the top tools by hits?
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/toolserver-l/2013-October/006337.html
(Some of the formerly top50 tools have not been migrated yet, or were
migrated and then died, like lvova/connectivity.)

Nemo

Re: Reminder: Tools only on Tool Labs from July 1

Marlen Caemmerer-3
Hey,

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:

> Can we have an update of the top tools by hits?
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/toolserver-l/2013-October/006337.html
> (Some of the formerly top50 tools have not been migrated yet, or were
> migrated and then died, like lvova/connectivity.)

Please keep in mind that you will also see the requests that already have a TS redirect to Labs and are working there.

Here we go:

7400645 tiles/hikebike
3613481 ~cmarqu/hill
1776401 ~dschwen/wma
1552342 tiles/osm-labels-ru
1094662 tiles/bw-mapnik
  562079 tiles/osm
  488677 tiles/osm-no-labels
  298119
  205590 ~dispenser/cgi-bin
  181019 ~para/region.php
  118569 tiles/osm-labels-fr
  100890 ~daniel/potd
   97555 ~apper/pd
   80981 ~authoritycontrol/redirect
   57276 ~dschwen/iip
   39792 ~para/GeoCommons
   38372 ~dapete/ime
   36782 ~erwin85/randomarticle.php
   34430 tiles/osm-labels-en
   30717 ~kolossos/openlayers
   20962 ~dispenser/ghct
   20119 tiles/osm-labels-de
   18686 images/wikimedia-toolserver-button.png HTTP
   18556 tiles/osm-labels-pl
   17064 ~master/osmjson
   16410 ~dispenser/temp
   14665 %7Edispenser/cgi-bin
   14468 ~multichill/monapi
   14456 ~para/geoip.fcgi
   14015 ~daniel/WikiSense
   12238 ~geohack/geohack.php
   11866 ~kolossos/templatetiger
   11410 tiles/germany
   10231 ~para/cgi-bin
    9230 ~osm/libs
    9029 ~krinkle/I18N
    8761 tiles/osm-labels-nl
    8674 geohack/geohack.php
    8557 ~magnus/catfood.php
    8420 ~dapete/rss
    8314 ~merl/redirects
    7618 tiles/osm-labels-it
    7497 tiles/osm-labels-es
    7182 ~dispenser/resources
    7139 ~geohack/siteicon.png HTTP
    7065 ~quentinv57/sulinfo
    6058 tiles/osm-labels-cs
    5406 tiles/bicycle
    5354 tiles/osm-labels-hu
    5200 /tools.wmflabs.org

Cheers
  Marlen/nosy

Re: Reminder: Tools only on Tool Labs from July 1

Maciej Jaros
Silke Meyer (2014-06-04 10:41):

> [...]
>
> What editors should know
> The toolserver is a community-driven project. The tools shall be
> migrated by the developers resp. maintainers themselves. Many of them
> have already migrated their tools or have indicated that they will do so
> before the end of this month. We have a special agreement with the
> OpenStreetMap projects and with the developer of Merlbot [4] to ensure
> these tools don’t stop working. All other tools will stop working by
> July 1st.
>
> What editors can do
> On Tool Labs [2], you can look up if the tools that you use and need
> have already moved there.
>   Talk to the developers of your favourite tools: It is important to let
> them know how much you appreciate their tools and that you need them to
> do your work.
> Contact us if you don’t know who these developers are or if you have any
> questions or if you want us to forward wishes or requests to tool
> developers. Contact information is given at the end of this text.
> [...]

I think that should be injected to main pages of tools that are still
working on Toolserver. Some overlay in the corner (link the "fork me on
Github" but with golden-orange background) with either a popup hooked or
simply a link (target=_blank) to an information page.

Cheers,
Nux.