Reminder: move your projects off stable -Geohack

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Reminder: move your projects off stable -Geohack

Kolossos-2
Hello,
perhaps this would be a good moment to transfer Geohack to a regular
mediawiki-extension on the main servers.

I hear this was also the plan of brion vibber before he go.
Who we need to ask now for this?

I don't know why but I have no access to geohack-scripts anymore.
So I can't do anything.

Greetings Kolossos


river wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As announced two months ago, we are planning to EOL the stable server in
> favour of multi-maintainer projects on the normal Toolserver.  The following
> projects are still running on the stable server:
>
> * geohack
> * wma
> * delinker
>
> We intend to repurpose the hardware currently used for the stable server to
> provide redundancy database replication, but this can't happen until all
> projects have migrated off the stable server.
>
>     - river.
>
>
>


_______________________________________________
Toolserver-l mailing list ([hidden email])
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/toolserver-l
Posting guidelines for this list: https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Mailing_list_etiquette
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reminder: move your projects off stable -Geohack

Magnus Manske-2
On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Tim Alder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> perhaps this would be a good moment to transfer Geohack to a regular
> mediawiki-extension on the main servers.
>
> I hear this was also the plan of brion vibber before he go.
> Who we need to ask now for this?

I asked Brion on the Paris meeting and he said he'd have a look. But,
I didn't hear anything back, so I assume he didn't.

wikimedia.org doesn't list an official CTO, so for the time being, I
guess Tim Starling is the person to ask.

Last time I had a long look at the code, the extension part seemed to
be in good condition. One half is using it as a special page (just a
wrapper around the current code calls), and getting the wiki template
from the cache instead of the http rendering.

Compatability might have deteriorated since then, though.

> I don't know why but I have no access to geohack-scripts anymore.
> So I can't do anything.

I'm still travelling, and probably won't have both access and time to
work on it until end of next week.

I guess the way to go is to get
http://toolserver.org/~geohack/
operational as a stop-gap until someone finally gets around to sign
off the extension and install it on the live site.

It seems to work /almost/ correctly. Maybe not all settings were migrated:
http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?pagename=Berlin&params=52_30_2_N_13_23_56_E_

Cheers,
Magnus


>
> Greetings Kolossos
>
>
> river wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As announced two months ago, we are planning to EOL the stable server in
>> favour of multi-maintainer projects on the normal Toolserver.  The following
>> projects are still running on the stable server:
>>
>> * geohack
>> * wma
>> * delinker
>>
>> We intend to repurpose the hardware currently used for the stable server to
>> provide redundancy database replication, but this can't happen until all
>> projects have migrated off the stable server.
>>
>>     - river.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Toolserver-l mailing list ([hidden email])
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/toolserver-l
> Posting guidelines for this list: https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Mailing_list_etiquette
>

_______________________________________________
Toolserver-l mailing list ([hidden email])
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/toolserver-l
Posting guidelines for this list: https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Mailing_list_etiquette
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reminder: move your projects off stable -Geohack

Platonides
Magnus Manske wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Tim Alder wrote:
>> Hello,
>> perhaps this would be a good moment to transfer Geohack to a regular
>> mediawiki-extension on the main servers.
>>
>> I hear this was also the plan of brion vibber before he go.
>> Who we need to ask now for this?

Yes, moving to an extension seems the way to go.

> I asked Brion on the Paris meeting and he said he'd have a look. But,
> I didn't hear anything back, so I assume he didn't.
>
> wikimedia.org doesn't list an official CTO, so for the time being, I
> guess Tim Starling is the person to ask.

Yes.

> Last time I had a long look at the code, the extension part seemed to
> be in good condition. One half is using it as a special page (just a
> wrapper around the current code calls), and getting the wiki template
> from the cache instead of the http rendering.

Which extension is it?
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/geo/ ?


> Compatability might have deteriorated since then, though.
>
>> I don't know why but I have no access to geohack-scripts anymore.
>> So I can't do anything.
>
> I'm still travelling, and probably won't have both access and time to
> work on it until end of next week.

The first step should be to make the scripts available before moving to
anything.
Kolossos says he can't access geohack-scripts,
https://fisheye.toolserver.org/browse/geohack shows an empty svn
folder... (*ahem*, https://jira.toolserver.org/browse/TS-187 )


_______________________________________________
Toolserver-l mailing list ([hidden email])
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/toolserver-l
Posting guidelines for this list: https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Mailing_list_etiquette
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reminder: move your projects off stable -Geohack

Magnus Manske-2
On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Which extension is it?
> http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/geo/ ?

Actually, most of it seems to be in
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/gis/

> The first step should be to make the scripts available before moving to
> anything.
> Kolossos says he can't access geohack-scripts,
> https://fisheye.toolserver.org/browse/geohack shows an empty svn
> folder... (*ahem*, https://jira.toolserver.org/browse/TS-187 )

Yes, this is a mess, but IMHO this is largely not our (geohack
maintainers) fault; rather, things kept/keep changing on the
toolserver, stable or not, and things are generally not "in sync". For
example,
https://svn.toolserver.org/svnroot/geohack/
has a version of geohack, but fisheye does not show it. I am not sure
how up-to-date this is, either; and I can't commit to (or even
developer-checkout) that repository, neither as magnus nor as geohack.

For now, I have put the current sources from stable into my own toolserver svn:
https://fisheye.toolserver.org/browse/Magnus/geohack

If anyone can update the "real" repository, and convince fisheye to
show them too, that'd be peachy :-)

Cheers,
Magnus

_______________________________________________
Toolserver-l mailing list ([hidden email])
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/toolserver-l
Posting guidelines for this list: https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Mailing_list_etiquette
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reminder: move your projects off stable -Geohack

Tim Landscheidt
In reply to this post by Magnus Manske-2
Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> perhaps this would be a good moment to transfer Geohack to a regular
>> mediawiki-extension on the main servers.

>> I hear this was also the plan of brion vibber before he go.
>> Who we need to ask now for this?

> I asked Brion on the Paris meeting and he said he'd have a look. But,
> I didn't hear anything back, so I assume he didn't.

> wikimedia.org doesn't list an official CTO, so for the time being, I
> guess Tim Starling is the person to ask.

> Last time I had a long look at the code, the extension part seemed to
> be in good condition. One half is using it as a special page (just a
> wrapper around the current code calls), and getting the wiki template
> from the cache instead of the http rendering.

> Compatability might have deteriorated since then, though.
> [...]

I had a look at the code one or two years ago, and started a
small DWIM-and-nothing-more extension "Mapsources" along the
lines of "Booksources" that "called" a template with the co-
ordinates as parameters so that you could use all of Media-
Wiki's parser functions & Co. in it. The idea would have
been to extend it eventually to have the list of map sources
ordered by the region of the individual coordinate and by
user preference (Swiss coordinates: Swisstopo, British coor-
dinates: Ordnance Survey, etc.) with a timeout so that if
you don't react within x seconds the first map source is
chosen.

  But #1, then I stumbled upon a post of yours where you
pointed out that Special:TemplateLink would be much more
suitable to replace the whole Geohack shebang, and I think
you were right.

  But #2, with all the work going on with OSM and the Maps
extension, wouldn't it be wiser to integrate Geohack's func-
tionality with the later?

Tim
(f'uping to wikitech-l)


_______________________________________________
Toolserver-l mailing list ([hidden email])
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/toolserver-l
Posting guidelines for this list: https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Mailing_list_etiquette
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reminder: move your projects off stable -Geohack

Tim Landscheidt
I wrote:

>>> perhaps this would be a good moment to transfer Geohack to a regular
>>> mediawiki-extension on the main servers.

>>> I hear this was also the plan of brion vibber before he go.
>>> Who we need to ask now for this?

>> I asked Brion on the Paris meeting and he said he'd have a look. But,
>> I didn't hear anything back, so I assume he didn't.

>> wikimedia.org doesn't list an official CTO, so for the time being, I
>> guess Tim Starling is the person to ask.

>> Last time I had a long look at the code, the extension part seemed to
>> be in good condition. One half is using it as a special page (just a
>> wrapper around the current code calls), and getting the wiki template
>> from the cache instead of the http rendering.

>> Compatability might have deteriorated since then, though.
>> [...]

> I had a look at the code one or two years ago, and started a
> small DWIM-and-nothing-more extension "Mapsources" along the
> lines of "Booksources" that "called" a template with the co-
> ordinates as parameters so that you could use all of Media-
> Wiki's parser functions & Co. in it. The idea would have
> been to extend it eventually to have the list of map sources
> ordered by the region of the individual coordinate and by
> user preference (Swiss coordinates: Swisstopo, British coor-
> dinates: Ordnance Survey, etc.) with a timeout so that if
> you don't react within x seconds the first map source is
> chosen.

>   But #1, then I stumbled upon a post of yours where you
> pointed out that Special:TemplateLink would be much more
> suitable to replace the whole Geohack shebang, and I think
> you were right.

>   But #2, with all the work going on with OSM and the Maps
> extension, wouldn't it be wiser to integrate Geohack's func-
> tionality with the later?

As there was no response, I resurrected the code from my ar-
chives and created
<URI:http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Mapsources>
(code available by "git clone
http://www.tim-landscheidt.de/git/Mapsources"). It's not yet
ready for production, but with the main source file below
300 LOCs, it shouldn't be that hard (mainly properly vali-
dating and escaping input).

Tim


_______________________________________________
Toolserver-l mailing list ([hidden email])
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/toolserver-l
Posting guidelines for this list: https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Mailing_list_etiquette