Reminder on the urgent Jimmy

Philippe Beaudette-2
Just a gentle reminder:  we have an appeal from Jimmy up at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Translation .  This one will be pushed out to all wikis, so we really need it localized as much as possible, please... any help you can give is gratefully appreciated.

pb

_______________________
Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

[hidden email]

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

http://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy

Bojan Jankuloski
Macedonian (mk) translation of Sue’s appeal is not “Ready” and can be published.
Thanks for the notice!

B. Jankuloski

Translation credit

Benny-42
Hi, forgive me for asking this, but what's the policy for crediting a translation? For example, the Indonesian landing page is http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WMFJA026/id  With a little research we can find that the source is http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template:2010/JimmyLetterK/id, but when you look at it's history, there's no link to the actual translation page, i.e. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Jimmy_appeal_2/id, thus it seems that Klyman is the one who did the translation. I suppose he should've at least mention where the translation was taken from. Or is there another rationalization?

___________________

Regards,
benny

pbeaudette@...

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

http://donate.wikimedia.org

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy

Corinne Bekker
Hello Philippe

Our translation is ready. Not just a quick translation, but we had a thorough look at it.
We're happy to run Jimmy's new appeal as soon as possible.

Corinne
Wikimedia Nederland
Utrecht, The Netherlands

PS Philippe, I sent this message to your address at wikimedia.org too, as I don't know whether you read this list regularly. Sorry if this leads to doubling your messages.

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy

whym
Hi,

Japanese translation is nearly ready.
One part I'm not sure about is the sentence "It is like a temple for the mind."
What effect is the sentence supposed to have?

A word-to-word translation into Japanese might make it too much 'religious'.
I'm wondering if I should try avoiding making Wikipedia look like a religion.

Cheers,
Whym

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Corinne Bekker
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Philippe
> Our translation is ready. Not just a quick translation, but we had a
> thorough look at it.
> We're happy to run Jimmy's new appeal as soon as possible.
>

> Corinne
> Wikimedia Nederland
> Utrecht, The Netherlands
>
> PS Philippe, I sent this message to your address at wikimedia.org too, as I
> don't know whether you read this list regularly. Sorry if this leads to
> doubling your messages.

Ivan Lanin-2
Based on what follows after that phrase, I assume something like "sacred place". So, in Indonesian, I use a religion-free phrase (lucky for us we have it) "tempat suci".

--
Ivan Lanin | http://ivan.lanin.org
BB:2296AA66

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Philippe
> Our translation is ready. Not just a quick translation, but we had a
> thorough look at it.
> We're happy to run Jimmy's new appeal as soon as possible.
>

> Corinne
> Wikimedia Nederland
> Utrecht, The Netherlands
>
> PS Philippe, I sent this message to your address at wikimedia.org too, as I
> don't know whether you read this list regularly. Sorry if this leads to
> doubling your messages.

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy - temple of the mind

Corinne Bekker
hi all

Let me share a thought (that I also sent to the fundraiser list), about how I understand the phrase temple of the mind (in italics some ideas added after reading the other messages on this list):

My first understanding was:
"--- the temple of the mind phrase is .... not perfectly clear at first sight. Though, after talking about a public park and a library , I finally get the picture. It makes clear to the reader (or tries to) that Wikipedia is a 'public good', i.e. something that is made available for the general public which can be used and appreciated, and is in their interest in a different  (more general, indirect) sense than housing, food etcetera, but in their interest anyway.

So I have changed the phrase into 'temple of the mind' (using the ' '-s ) to make it more apparent that is meant in a different way than public parc and library .

.."
I agree it may be taken by some readers to have an esoteric aspect; and also it has a slight christian overtone now I think about it. (sometimes the body is referred to as a temple for the spirit in christianity... isn't it? ).

In order for the message to be appreciated in the same way (and responded to in a similar way) in diverse communities, I can imagine that you would change it,- to really localize it. Or maybe leave it out, since the parc and library idea already could do the trick.

hope this helps

greetings,
Corinne
Wikimedia Netherlands

[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Philippe
>> Our translation is ready. Not just a quick translation, but we had a
>> thorough look at it.
>> We're happy to run Jimmy's new appeal as soon as possible.
>>

>> Corinne
>> Wikimedia Nederland
>> Utrecht, The Netherlands
>>
>> PS Philippe, I sent this message to your address at wikimedia.org too, as I
>> don't know whether you read this list regularly. Sorry if this leads to
>> doubling your messages.

Mohamed Magdy-2
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 1:31 PM, whym <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Japanese translation is nearly ready.
> One part I'm not sure about is the sentence "It is like a temple for the mind."
> What effect is the sentence supposed to have?

For the Arabic translation, we used "haven for the mind" (ملاذ للعقل),
avoiding "temple".

user:alnokta

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy

Michael Wolf-2
Philippe Beaudette napisa:
> Just a gentle reminder:  we have an appeal from Jimmy up at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Translation .  This
> one will be pushed out to all wikis, so we really need it localized
> as much as possible, please... any help you can give is gratefully
> appreciated.

On all wikis? Maybe. But I'm sure, not in all languages. I suppose that
translations into minority languages will be ignored since the language
version of the country chapter is preferred by you. IMHO translating
appeals to minority languages will be waste of time.

Michael

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy

vassia atanassova-2
Jimmy's second appeal updated on Bulgarian. Please proceed.

V.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Michael Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Philippe Beaudette napisa:
> Just a gentle reminder:  we have an appeal from Jimmy up at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Translation .  This
> one will be pushed out to all wikis, so we really need it localized
> as much as possible, please... any help you can give is gratefully
> appreciated.

On all wikis? Maybe. But I'm sure, not in all languages. I suppose that
translations into minority languages will be ignored since the language
version of the country chapter is preferred by you. IMHO translating
appeals to minority languages will be waste of time.

Michael

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share the sum of all knowledge.
Help us make it a reality!  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy

Philippe Beaudette-2
The idea is that Wikipedia is an honored place, devoted to learning and wisdom.

_______________________________
Philippe Beaudette
Wikimedia Foundation,  Inc.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone,  please understand any misspellings or errors.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Philippe
> Our translation is ready. Not just a quick translation, but we had a
> thorough look at it.
> We're happy to run Jimmy's new appeal as soon as possible.
>

> Corinne
> Wikimedia Nederland
> Utrecht, The Netherlands
>
> PS Philippe, I sent this message to your address at wikimedia.org too, as I
> don't know whether you read this list regularly. Sorry if this leads to
> doubling your messages.

No, this is incorrect. We will publish every translation, just as we have for every appeal. We have no preference for chapter languages.

In some areas chapters refuse to do the same, but the Wmf will publish every translation we are given, as we have all year.

_______________________________
Philippe Beaudette
Wikimedia Foundation,  Inc.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone,  please understand any misspellings or errors.

> Just a gentle reminder:  we have an appeal from Jimmy up at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Translation .  This
> one will be pushed out to all wikis, so we really need it localized
> as much as possible, please... any help you can give is gratefully
> appreciated.

On all wikis? Maybe. But I'm sure, not in all languages. I suppose that
translations into minority languages will be ignored since the language
version of the country chapter is preferred by you. IMHO translating
appeals to minority languages will be waste of time.

Michael

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy

whym

I noticed on some wikis, the prepared translations of "Please read: An
urgent appeal ..." is unused in the centralnotice, showing the
original English text.

I confirmed (at least) 'ja', 'zh-hant' and 'zh-hans' have this
problem.  Only the banner text is shown in English, the button and the
letter are localized.  Purging the cache doesn't change the situation.

Could you fix it?
We'd be happy to get all the prepared translations to appear.

Thanks,
Whym

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Philippe Beaudette
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a gentle reminder:  we have an appeal from Jimmy up
> at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Translation .  This one
> will be pushed out to all wikis, so we really need it localized as much as
> possible, please... any help you can give is gratefully appreciated.
> pb
>
> _______________________
> Philippe Beaudette
> Head of Reader Relations
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
> in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
> http://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy ATTN zh, mk and sv translators

James Alexander-4
Hey Whym!

Sorry for the slow response I updated the published banner translations a couple hours ago shortly after your email and so should be good! I do However need some help if possible from anyone:

Sv and mk were published but don't have banner translations (this isn't your fault I added it late you probably translated before I did)

The 2 published zh translations (zh-hant and zh-hans) have it separated into only 2 lines. It would be much better because of banner size to have it on 3 lines. If this is necessary because if of the language I'll create a special banner but if someone could help me on where to break that 2nd line that would be great!

James

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 18, 2010, at 8:25 PM, whym <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed on some wikis, the prepared translations of "Please read: An
> urgent appeal ..." is unused in the centralnotice, showing the
> original English text.
>
> I confirmed (at least) 'ja', 'zh-hant' and 'zh-hans' have this
> problem.  Only the banner text is shown in English, the button and the
> letter are localized.  Purging the cache doesn't change the situation.
>
> Could you fix it?
> We'd be happy to get all the prepared translations to appear.
>
> Thanks,
> Whym
>
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Philippe Beaudette
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just a gentle reminder:  we have an appeal from Jimmy up
>> at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Translation .  This one
>> will be pushed out to all wikis, so we really need it localized as much as
>> possible, please... any help you can give is gratefully appreciated.
>> pb
>>
>> _______________________
>> Philippe Beaudette
>> Head of Reader Relations
>> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>>
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
>> in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>> http://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy ATTN zh, mk and sv translators

whym
Hi James,

Thank you!  For Japanese, it looks good now.  With a quick search on
twitter, I can see the word 緊急 (urgent) is raising attentions of
Japanese-speaking donors :)

Cheers,
Whym

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM, James Alexander
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Whym!
>
> Sorry for the slow response I updated the published banner translations a couple hours ago shortly after your email and so should be good! I do However need some help if possible from anyone:
>
> Sv and mk were published but don't have banner translations (this isn't your fault I added it late you probably translated before I did)
>
> The 2 published zh translations (zh-hant and zh-hans) have it separated into only 2 lines. It would be much better because of banner size to have it on 3 lines. If this is necessary because if of the language I'll create a special banner but if someone could help me on where to break that 2nd line that would be great!
>
> James
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 18, 2010, at 8:25 PM, whym <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed on some wikis, the prepared translations of "Please read: An
>> urgent appeal ..." is unused in the centralnotice, showing the
>> original English text.
>>
>> I confirmed (at least) 'ja', 'zh-hant' and 'zh-hans' have this
>> problem.  Only the banner text is shown in English, the button and the
>> letter are localized.  Purging the cache doesn't change the situation.
>>
>> Could you fix it?
>> We'd be happy to get all the prepared translations to appear.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Whym
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Philippe Beaudette
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Just a gentle reminder:  we have an appeal from Jimmy up
>>> at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Translation .  This one
>>> will be pushed out to all wikis, so we really need it localized as much as
>>> possible, please... any help you can give is gratefully appreciated.
>>> pb
>>>
>>> _______________________
>>> Philippe Beaudette
>>> Head of Reader Relations
>>> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>>>
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
>>> in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>>> http://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy ATTN zh, mk and sv translators

klutz-2
zh-hans & zh-hant fixed.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Whym!
>
> Sorry for the slow response I updated the published banner translations a couple hours ago shortly after your email and so should be good! I do However need some help if possible from anyone:
>
> Sv and mk were published but don't have banner translations (this isn't your fault I added it late you probably translated before I did)
>
> The 2 published zh translations (zh-hant and zh-hans) have it separated into only 2 lines. It would be much better because of banner size to have it on 3 lines. If this is necessary because if of the language I'll create a special banner but if someone could help me on where to break that 2nd line that would be great!
>
> James
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 18, 2010, at 8:25 PM, whym <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed on some wikis, the prepared translations of "Please read: An
>> urgent appeal ..." is unused in the centralnotice, showing the
>> original English text.
>>
>> I confirmed (at least) 'ja', 'zh-hant' and 'zh-hans' have this
>> problem.  Only the banner text is shown in English, the button and the
>> letter are localized.  Purging the cache doesn't change the situation.
>>
>> Could you fix it?
>> We'd be happy to get all the prepared translations to appear.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Whym
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Philippe Beaudette
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Just a gentle reminder:  we have an appeal from Jimmy up
>>> at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Translation .  This one
>>> will be pushed out to all wikis, so we really need it localized as much as
>>> possible, please... any help you can give is gratefully appreciated.
>>> pb
>>>
>>> _______________________
>>> Philippe Beaudette
>>> Head of Reader Relations
>>> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>>>
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
>>> in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>>> http://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy ATTN zh, mk and sv translators

klutz-2
I mean the translation problem is fixed. I separated the sentence into 3 lines. Please update the banner asap, thanks.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Whym!
>
> Sorry for the slow response I updated the published banner translations a couple hours ago shortly after your email and so should be good! I do However need some help if possible from anyone:
>
> Sv and mk were published but don't have banner translations (this isn't your fault I added it late you probably translated before I did)
>
> The 2 published zh translations (zh-hant and zh-hans) have it separated into only 2 lines. It would be much better because of banner size to have it on 3 lines. If this is necessary because if of the language I'll create a special banner but if someone could help me on where to break that 2nd line that would be great!
>
> James
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 18, 2010, at 8:25 PM, whym <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed on some wikis, the prepared translations of "Please read: An
>> urgent appeal ..." is unused in the centralnotice, showing the
>> original English text.
>>
>> I confirmed (at least) 'ja', 'zh-hant' and 'zh-hans' have this
>> problem.  Only the banner text is shown in English, the button and the
>> letter are localized.  Purging the cache doesn't change the situation.
>>
>> Could you fix it?
>> We'd be happy to get all the prepared translations to appear.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Whym
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Philippe Beaudette
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Just a gentle reminder:  we have an appeal from Jimmy up
>>> at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Translation .  This one
>>> will be pushed out to all wikis, so we really need it localized as much as
>>> possible, please... any help you can give is gratefully appreciated.
>>> pb
>>>
>>> _______________________
>>> Philippe Beaudette
>>> Head of Reader Relations
>>> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>>>
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
>>> in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>>> http://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: Reminder on the urgent Jimmy

whym
Sorry for being rude.  I found myself having forgotten to cc my answer
to people kindly replied about the phrase "temple for the mind".

Japanese version now use a phrase 知の神殿 (sacred palace of intellect),
thanks to the ideas shared by Philippe, Ivan, Mohamed and Corinne.

Thanks,
Whym