Remove 'visualeditor-enable' from $wgHiddenPrefs

Re: Remove 'visualeditor-enable' from $wgHiddenPrefs

Nicolas Vervelle-4
On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 3:42 AM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > "Newcomers with the VisualEditor were ~43% less likely to save a
> > single edit than editors with the wikitext editor (x^2=279.4,
> > p<0.001), meaning that Visual Editor presented nearly a 2:1 increase
> > in editing difficulty."
>
> For the record, this datapoint included in the draft (!) analysis was
> due to faulty instrumentation. The correct numbers show only a
> marginally significant difference between VisualEditor and wikitext
> for an edit within 72 hours [1], with the caveats already given in my
> earlier response.
>
> Erik
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:VisualEditor%27s_effect_on_newly_registered_editors/Results#Editing_ease

Erik,

Unless I'm mistaken, there's something missing in the study. The "test
users" had VE enabled, whereas the "control users" has VE disabled.
The study seems to assume that "test users" always used VE, when in fact
they had the choice to use it or not.
Since it seems that a good proportion of new users with VE enabled are
actually using VE, the difference between the 2 sets of users may be
greatly decreased by the fact that many users in the test population are
using the wikitext editor.

Can you explain if I misread the study, or how you took that into account ?

Thanks,
Nico