Report a Problem hack

Erik Moeller-4
The Polish Wikipedia has hacked together a neat little pop-up tool for
reporting errors in articles. To see it, go to

http://pl.wikipedia.org/

click around, and follow the "Zgłoś błąd" link in the sidebar. If you
click the middle button, it gives you a form that you can use to
report an error with the page you're looking at. That report will then
be appended to a problem reports page.

It clearly requires a lot of maintenance of said error reports page to
pull something like this off, but perhaps it would be worth trying out
for a while?
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Report a Problem hack

Emily Monroe
I'd like it. Good for new page patrollers'.

(Maybe I need to do something other than new page patrolling...never
mind)

Emily
On Aug 6, 2009, at 7:59 PM, Erik Moeller wrote:

> The Polish Wikipedia has hacked together a neat little pop-up tool for
> reporting errors in articles. To see it, go to
>
> http://pl.wikipedia.org/
>
> click around, and follow the "Zgłoś błąd" link in the sidebar. If
> you
> click the middle button, it gives you a form that you can use to
> report an error with the page you're looking at. That report will then
> be appended to a problem reports page.
>
> It clearly requires a lot of maintenance of said error reports page to
> pull something like this off, but perhaps it would be worth trying out
> for a while?
> --
> Erik Möller
> Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Report a Problem hack

Jay Litwyn-2
The problem with popups is that even Explorer Six can completely disable
them or enable them for specific sites (my setting approves about ten
sites), so I ask what is wrong with the talk page? Maybe there should be an
"Add To Talk Page" button or tab on the article, so that you do not need to
download a talk page that is longer than the article in order to add to it.

"Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> The Polish Wikipedia has hacked together a neat little pop-up tool for
> reporting errors in articles. To see it, go to
>
> http://pl.wikipedia.org/
>
> click around, and follow the "Zglos blad" link in the sidebar. If you
> click the middle button, it gives you a form that you can use to
> report an error with the page you're looking at. That report will then
> be appended to a problem reports page.
>
> It clearly requires a lot of maintenance of said error reports page to
> pull something like this off, but perhaps it would be worth trying out
> for a while?
> --
> Erik Möller
> Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Report a Problem hack

metasj
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Emily Monroe<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd like it. Good for new page patrollers'.

+1 for neat little pop-ups and easy error reporting.  Can we also do
something like this to report general interface and software bugs?

SJ

Re: Report a Problem hack

Steve Bennett-8
On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Erik Moeller<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It clearly requires a lot of maintenance of said error reports page to
> pull something like this off, but perhaps it would be worth trying out
> for a while?

Definitely. Now, perhaps I'm too old and cynical, but with all these
things, my initial reaction is "that would be great...oh wait, we have
this big community of people who will come up with some reason to
shout it down". Lots of the smaller wikipedias have cool features that
we don't have, simply because of the difficulty of changing status quo
in a consensus-driven environment.

But hey, if Erik is backing it, maybe it will get through ;)

Steve

Re: Report a Problem hack

Brian J Mingus
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Jay Litwyn <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> The problem with popups is that even Explorer Six can completely disable
> them or enable them for specific sites.

Unlikely, it's not a real popup. They use javascript to float a div which
contains a form on top of the article.

Re: Report a Problem hack

Luna-4
I've wondered about this for a long time, but wasn't ever confident about
the maintenance issue: it seems like it would be next to impossible to make
sure that problems get consistent responses, to effectively manage the
potential volume of responses, or even to deal with the inevitable bad
reports (either misled or outright malicious). In extreme cases -- I'm
thinking of the stuff we send to oversight or OTRS, for example -- keeping a
very central, very public list of "everything that's wrong" might even
attract trouble in the form of trolls or iffy responses.

Still, I'm glad to see a project finally giving this a go, and I'm very
curious to hear how it works out for them. I wish them good luck.

-Luna

Re: Report a Problem hack

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Erik Moeller, Fri Aug 7 00:59:55 UTC 2009:
>The Polish Wikipedia has hacked together a neat little pop-up tool for
>reporting errors in articles. To see it, go to

We on it.wiki have considered this possibility, too. The aim is to
explain people that they can actually get things fixed (maany don't
understand that they can press "edit"...).
However, pl.wiki doesn't seem to have received a great feedback, so far.
The volume is similar to the one of it.wikitionary, which uses a
different system: see a random page:
http://it.wiktionary.org/wiki/Speciale:PaginaCasuale
All feedbacks are collected here:
http://it.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wikizionario:Feedback
Well, I see that en.wiktionary does the same, but you have to logout:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Special:Random

Nemo

Re: Report a Problem hack

Jay Litwyn-2

"Samuel Klein" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Emily Monroe<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'd like it. Good for new page patrollers'.
>
> +1 for neat little pop-ups and easy error reporting.  Can we also do
> something like this to report general interface and software bugs?

mailto:webmaster@localhost?subject=Title_Of_Page_With_Error

Re: Report a Problem hack

K. Peachey
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Samuel Klein<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Emily Monroe<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'd like it. Good for new page patrollers'.
>
> +1 for neat little pop-ups and easy error reporting.  Can we also do
> something like this to report general interface and software bugs?
>
> SJ
That would possibly be a bad idea for bugs, bugs should be discussed
at the Village pump (or local equivalent) to see if it is really a bug
so it can be discussed then someone can file it on bugzilla with the
all the revelant information and make a note of it in the discussion
so several copies of the same bug aren't created.