Republic Day - Marathi Wikipedia Workshop : Report

Republic Day - Marathi Wikipedia Workshop : Report

Niraj Suryawanshi
Wikipedia Club Pune
The Republic Day Workshop
26th January 2013

Theme/ Agenda: Creating & Editing existing articles on the Indian War Heroes (post Independence) in Marathi, as a homage to them.

The Workshop was carried out successfully on the 64th Republic Day of India. Keeping in mind the theme/ agenda as to pay homage to these great men who gave their lives serving the motherland.
The workshop was organized in Pune’s most sought after & leading learning institution Janana Prabodini, with the consent of the principal of the institution Mr. Milind Naik. A seminar hall “Prabodh”  and two computer labs were engaged. Volunteers from the institution in coordination with the members of the club assisted and helped for the smooth execution of the workshop.

Volunteer Coordinators from the institution Miss Priyanka Bhalerao & Mr. Hrushikesh Pathak were of great help as they helped with the permissions for the workshop and the bookings of the seminar hall and the computer labs which were needed prior to the workshop and were in constant touch of the Wikipedia Club Pune’s members. We thank them for their enthusiasm and dedication for the same.

The club members on the day of the seminar helped in setting up the venue, giving a very comfortable yet professional outlook to the seminar & seminar venue. The Introductory Seminar was conducted by Mr. Abhishek Suryawanshi wherein the students were given information regarding Wikimedia & its sister project Wikipedia, precisely concentrating on Marathi Wikipedia. Knowledge about creating and editing the articles was given through a live demonstration over the projector projections. The students enjoyed the presentation which was followed by a very interactive session where Mr. Suryawanshi was able to solve the queries upto the mark.

The attendees specially belonged to student category, besides these the principal himself and many other teaches were present for the same. A very special attendee Mrs. Sulabha Marathe was present who works for the blind and is engaged in recording audios, so that the blind could gain knowledge through audible medium. She is currently on a project wherein the audio recordings of the syllabus is done and is provided to the blind for learning purposes.

After the informative seminar the students with the special attendees were escorted to the respective labs for the creation and edition of the articles. The workshop started with creation of the User Accounts and then creation/editing. We the members of the club were overwhelmed with the response of the budding Wikipedia Editors of the future!

Many articles on martyrs were undertaken the list is as follows:
Major Rajesh Singh Adhikari, Cap. Vikram batra, Manoj Kumar Pandey, Ashok Kamte, Constable Tukaram Omble, Hemant Karkare, Lalit Rai etc.
The workshop ended with an interactive feedback session where basic queries and complex questions were solved.

Following is the list of the club members and volunteer coordinators
Abhishek Suryawanshi, Nikhil Kawale, Sanket Oswal, Abhinav Garule, Laskhy Gontla, Ravati Joshi, Saylai Borade, Niraj Suryawanshi, Priyanka Bhalerao, Hrushikesh Pathak.
We appreciate and are very much thankful to the volunteer coordinators and the staff of the Janana Prabodini for the help provided. Also we are thankful to the club members who gave their precious time for the workshop, who helped it become a grand success.
Regards & Thanks,

Niraj N. Suryawanshi
Pune Institute of Computer Technology | Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 814 992 0120 | niraj.suryawanshi@gmail.com

Re: Republic Day - Marathi Wikipedia Workshop : Report

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
Hi Niraj,
can I have a list of articles that you guys worked on?

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 3:20 AM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

-----
Regards & Thanks,

Niraj Suryawanshi
on behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 8149920120 | [hidden email]

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Member of the Executive Committee
Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Pune Institute of Computer Technology | Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 814 992 0120 | niraj.suryawanshi@gmail.com

Re: Republic Day - Marathi Wikipedia Workshop : Report

Niraj Suryawanshi
Hi Shrikant,
Have u been through the articles yet?
any reviews you want to share with us to help us improve better??
Regards & Thanks,

Niraj N. Suryawanshi
Pune Institute of Computer Technology | Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 814 992 0120 | niraj.suryawanshi@gmail.com

Re: Republic Day - Marathi Wikipedia Workshop : Report

Ashwin Baindur
Great work Suryawanshi, Suryawanshi & Wikipedia Pune Club members!

Ashwin

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Shrikant,
Have u been through the articles yet?
any reviews you want to share with us to help us improve better??

-----
Regards & Thanks,

Niraj Suryawanshi
on behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 8149920120 | [hidden email]

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

Re: Republic Day - Marathi Wikipedia Workshop : Report

Niraj Suryawanshi
Thank you Sir for your appreciation!
And thanks to everyone who guided & supported for the same!
Regards & Thanks,

Niraj N. Suryawanshi
Pune Institute of Computer Technology | Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 814 992 0120 | niraj.suryawanshi@gmail.com

Re: Republic Day - Marathi Wikipedia Workshop : Report

Subhashish Panigrahi-4
Dear Niraj,

Just a small point.
In an open source community like Wikipedia everyone is same and equally treated. So, there is no need of adding destinations and adding Sir/ Madam for anyone irrespective of their age.

Best!
Subha

On 11-Feb-2013, at 12:32 PM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Sir for your appreciation!
> And thanks to everyone who guided & supported for the same!
>

> -----
> Regards & Thanks,
>
> Niraj Suryawanshi
> on behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune
> +91 814 992 0120 | [hidden email]

Re: Republic Day - Marathi Wikipedia Workshop : Report

Niraj Suryawanshi
Dear Subhashish,

Using the word 'sir' or "m'am" when talking to someone you're not familiar with is generally intended simply as a gesture of respect. It's not some sort of submissive term or something which indicates hierarchical structure, simply we're born and brought up in a society where respect to others is at priority and that's exactly why i used it.
I mean no harm or offence to the open source community nor any individual in specific. :)
Hope the reply conveys my intentions behind the same.

Regards & Thanks,
Niraj Suryawanshi
8149920120

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Niraj,

Just a small point.
In an open source community like Wikipedia everyone is same and equally treated. So, there is no need of adding destinations and adding Sir/ Madam for anyone irrespective of their age.

Best!
Subha

On 11-Feb-2013, at 12:32 PM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Sir for your appreciation!
> And thanks to everyone who guided & supported for the same!
>

> -----
> Regards & Thanks,
>
> Niraj Suryawanshi
> on behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune
> +91 814 992 0120 | [hidden email]
Regards & Thanks,

Niraj N. Suryawanshi
Pune Institute of Computer Technology | Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 814 992 0120 | niraj.suryawanshi@gmail.com

Re: Republic Day - Marathi Wikipedia Workshop : Report

Subhashish Panigrahi-4
[Offtopic]
I respect your views Niraj and I do agree with your point regarding the we behave socially. But this is how people normally call others in such communities. It is not something which is mandatory and you are always free to call whatever you want. Which guy will deny being called "Sir"? ;-)

Subha

On 11-Feb-2013, at 1:01 PM, Niraj Suryawanshi wrote:

Dear Subhashish,

Using the word 'sir' or "m'am" when talking to someone you're not familiar with is generally intended simply as a gesture of respect. It's not some sort of submissive term or something which indicates hierarchical structure, simply we're born and brought up in a society where respect to others is at priority and that's exactly why i used it.
I mean no harm or offence to the open source community nor any individual in specific. :)
Hope the reply conveys my intentions behind the same.

Regards & Thanks,
Niraj Suryawanshi
8149920120

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Niraj,

Just a small point.
In an open source community like Wikipedia everyone is same and equally treated. So, there is no need of adding destinations and adding Sir/ Madam for anyone irrespective of their age.

Best!
Subha

On 11-Feb-2013, at 12:32 PM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Sir for your appreciation!
> And thanks to everyone who guided & supported for the same!
>

> -----
> Regards & Thanks,
>
> Niraj Suryawanshi
> on behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune
> +91 814 992 0120 | [hidden email]

Pune Institute of Computer Technology | Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 814 992 0120 | niraj.suryawanshi@gmail.com

Re: Republic Day - Marathi Wikipedia Workshop : Report

Abhishek Suryawanshi

Thank you so much Ashwin for appreciation..As one of founder member - Your mail means alot to us.

P.S : Workshop was conducted in 'Jnana Prabodhini', and many kids and students were asking about 'you'. You were there for past two Wikipedia anniversaries and present for almost all Workshops. Activities can be scaled up and could be more inspiring in your presence. We all miss you. .Please come back soon :)

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Abhishek Suryawanshi,

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Ashwin Baindur <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great work Suryawanshi, Suryawanshi & Wikipedia Pune Club members!

Ashwin

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Shrikant,
Have u been through the articles yet?
any reviews you want to share with us to help us improve better??

-----
Regards & Thanks,

Niraj Suryawanshi
on behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 8149920120 | [hidden email]

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

Re: Republic Day - Marathi Wikipedia Workshop : Report

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Yes Niraj, I did go thru a few of them.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Abhijeet Safai <[hidden email]> wrote:
I second Abhishek!
:)

[...]

Sign this petition to introduce Volvo buses in Coimbatore city: