Request 'RandomInCategory' via API

Anonymous
Hello! Sorry for my bad English.

Through the implementation of the current API impossible to get a random
article in category. This greatly reduces the potential of education
like API, and Wikipedia as a whole.
This is usually not a problem withcategories in which less than 500
catmembers, but to select a random article in categories, wich have more
than hundreds of thousands of catmembers becomes impossible!
Special: RandomInKategory is not a convenient solution for the
developer, since it does not allow to receive pageid and makes writing a
lot of redundant code to get things that are otherwise easily accessible
via the api.

Can we expect that this feature will be available through the API?

Re: Request 'RandomInCategory' via API

Ricordisamoa
Il 22/04/2016 06:56, Anonymous ha scritto:

> Hello! Sorry for my bad English.
>
> Through the implementation of the current API impossible to get a
> random article in category. This greatly reduces the potential of
> education like API, and Wikipedia as a whole.
> This is usually not a problem withcategories in which less than 500
> catmembers, but to select a random article in categories, wich have
> more than hundreds of thousands of catmembers becomes impossible!
> Special: RandomInKategory is not a convenient solution for the
> developer, since it does not allow to receive pageid and makes writing
> a lot of redundant code to get things that are otherwise easily
> accessible via the api.
>
> Can we expect that this feature will be available through the API?

I don't know, but if you'd like to be notified of updates then follow
this ticket: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T63840