Request to block ActionApi-Client

Frank Wunderlich
Hello,

in 2016 I wrote a small Android app, that is making use of the Wikipedia ActionApi  to search for articles at the current location of a user.
Due to legal considerations I am currently trying to take down the app.
It’s not available any more in the Google PlayStore, but there are still installations out there.
That’s why I want to make these installations unusable by deactivating all backend services, that the app is using.
Unfortunately the app is (partially) directly communicating with wikipedia servers and not via a proxy under my control.
The app sends a special User-Agent HTTP header with every request to identify itself:

tagorama/v1.0.0.283-release (http://tagorama.rocks/[hidden email])

Is there any way for you to block requests from this app?
Who would I contact?

Thanks for your help,
Frank Wunderlich

Re: Request to block ActionApi-Client

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
You would have to contact Wikimedia's Site Reliability Engineering team with a request like this. Your best way forward is probably to file a task in Phabricator <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/> and tag it with #Operations.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:08 PM Frank Wunderlich <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Senior Software Engineer

Re: Request to block ActionApi-Client

Ted Chien
Or you can contact the Google Play team to ask for blocking your app. They can trigger the app blocking mechanism remotely in Android devices to automatically uninstall the app....

Regards,
Ted Chien
https://about.me/htchien

Frank Wunderlich <[hidden email]> 於 2020年1月29日 週三 上午4:06 寫道:
[...]

Valerio Bozzolan-2
Uhm. What were the legal considerations?

Anyway, for the future, I can suggest to protect your app under whatever Free Software license (because every Free Software license includes a strong discharge of liability, see the GNU General Public License for example) and then just release your app using F-Droid:

https://f-droid.org/

I hope you will solve your legal problems, if they come from the Play Store EULA.

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> in 2016 I wrote a small Android app, that is making use of the
>Wikipedia
>>> ActionApi  to search for articles at the current location of a user.
>>> Due to legal considerations I am currently trying to take down the
>app.
>>> It’s not available any more in the Google PlayStore, but there are
>still
>>> installations out there.
>>> That’s why I want to make these installations unusable by
>deactivating
>>> all backend services, that the app is using.
>>> Unfortunately the app is (partially) directly communicating with
>>> wikipedia servers and not via a proxy under my control.
>>> The app sends a special User-Agent HTTP header with every request to
>>> identify itself:
>>>
>>> tagorama/v1.0.0.283-release (http://tagorama.rocks/;
>[hidden email])
>>>
>>> Is there any way for you to block requests from this app?
>>> Who would I contact?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help,
>>> Frank Wunderlich
>>>

>> --
>> Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
>> Senior Software Engineer
>> Wikimedia Foundation

E-mail sent from the "K-9 mail" app from F-Droid, installed in my LineageOS device without proprietary Google apps. I'm delivering through my Postfix mailserver installed in a Debian GNU/Linux.

Have fun with software freedom!

[[User:Valerio Bozzolan]]