Requesting access to deleted pages for research purposes

Requesting access to deleted pages for research purposes

Mackenzie Lemieux
Dear Wiki Community,

My name is Mackenzie Lemieux and I am a neuroscience researcher at the Salk
Institute for Biological Studies and I am interested in exploring biases on
Wikipedia.

My research hypothesis is that gender or ethnicity mediate the rate of
flagging and deletion of pages for women in STEM.  I hope to
retrospectively analyze Wikipedia's deletion history, harvest the
biographical articles about scientists that have been created over the past
n years and then confirm the gender and ethnicity of a large sample.

It appears that we can identify deleted pages with Wikipedia's deletion log
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_log>, but to actually see
the page that was deleted we need to be members of one of these Wikipedia
user groups:  Administrators
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators>, Oversighters
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Oversight>, Researchers
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Researchers>, Checkusers
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CheckUser>.

Does anyone have advice on how to obtain researcher status or is there
anyone willing to collaborate who has access to the data we need?

Warmly,
Mackenzie Lemieux

--
Mackenzie Lemieux
[hidden email]

Re: Requesting access to deleted pages for research purposes

Leila Zia-2
Hi Mackenzie,

Thanks for sharing more about your research here.

Do you intend to request access to the deleted logs of specific
Wikipedia language editions or all Wikipedias?

Best,
Leila

--
Leila Zia
Head of Research

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 11:43 AM Mackenzie Lemieux
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wiki Community,
>
> My name is Mackenzie Lemieux and I am a neuroscience researcher at the Salk
> Institute for Biological Studies and I am interested in exploring biases on
> Wikipedia.
>
> My research hypothesis is that gender or ethnicity mediate the rate of
> flagging and deletion of pages for women in STEM.  I hope to
> retrospectively analyze Wikipedia's deletion history, harvest the
> biographical articles about scientists that have been created over the past
> n years and then confirm the gender and ethnicity of a large sample.
>
> It appears that we can identify deleted pages with Wikipedia's deletion log
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_log>, but to actually see
> the page that was deleted we need to be members of one of these Wikipedia
> user groups:  Administrators
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators>, Oversighters
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Oversight>, Researchers
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Researchers>, Checkusers
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CheckUser>.
>
> Does anyone have advice on how to obtain researcher status or is there
> anyone willing to collaborate who has access to the data we need?
>
> Warmly,
> Mackenzie Lemieux
>

> --
> Mackenzie Lemieux
> [hidden email]
> cell: 416-806-0041
> 220 Gilmour Avenue
> Toronto, Ontario
> M6P 3B4

Re: Requesting access to deleted pages for research purposes

Aaron Halfaker-2
Right now, the "researcher" right process is sort of in limbo while we
figure out a good way to assign that user group.

I think the best way to manage this is to have a community vetting process
for allowing researchers to access the user right.  Regretfully, we don't
have one right now[1].  I think the best way to get access to such a right
would be to document your research project on meta
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:New_project> and then post on the
discussion forums of the wikis you are targeting asking to be granted the
"researcher" right.  If you're targeting English Wikipedia, I'd suggest
bringing this proposal to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(miscellaneous)

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_permissions

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 2:04 PM Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mackenzie,
>
> Thanks for sharing more about your research here.
>
> Do you intend to request access to the deleted logs of specific
> Wikipedia language editions or all Wikipedias?
>
> Best,
> Leila
>
> --
> Leila Zia
> Head of Research
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 11:43 AM Mackenzie Lemieux
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Wiki Community,
> >
> > My name is Mackenzie Lemieux and I am a neuroscience researcher at the
> Salk
> > Institute for Biological Studies and I am interested in exploring biases
> on
> > Wikipedia.
> >
> > My research hypothesis is that gender or ethnicity mediate the rate of
> > flagging and deletion of pages for women in STEM.  I hope to
> > retrospectively analyze Wikipedia's deletion history, harvest the
> > biographical articles about scientists that have been created over the
> past
> > n years and then confirm the gender and ethnicity of a large sample.
> >
> > It appears that we can identify deleted pages with Wikipedia's deletion
> log
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_log>, but to actually
> see
> > the page that was deleted we need to be members of one of these Wikipedia
> > user groups:  Administrators
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators>, Oversighters
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Oversight>, Researchers
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Researchers>, Checkusers
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CheckUser>.
> >
> > Does anyone have advice on how to obtain researcher status or is there
> > anyone willing to collaborate who has access to the data we need?
> >
> > Warmly,
> > Mackenzie Lemieux
> >

> > --
> > Mackenzie Lemieux
> > [hidden email]
> > cell: 416-806-0041
> > 220 Gilmour Avenue
> > Toronto, Ontario
> > M6P 3B4

Re: Requesting access to deleted pages for research purposes

Stuart A. Yeates
I recently completed a project writing en.wiki articles for all female
and indigenous professors in my country, .nz.

I now write pronounless biographies, because there were a significant
number whose gender wasn't apparent from their public persona. My
guess is that women and LGBTIA+ minorities are incentivised to remove
markers of their gender from their online presence to keep a lower
profile to avoid the trolls and bigots.

There were also a number who clearly appeared to be a certain
ethnicity based on their staff photo, but where there were no reliable
sources as to that ethnicity.

I also had a one person ask for their article to be deleted. [If this
is of interest I can send details to you directly, but I will not post
their details to a public forum and ask you refrain from this also.]

I look forward to reading your experimental design taking these
factors into account.

cheers
stuart

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 06:43, Mackenzie Lemieux
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wiki Community,
>
> My name is Mackenzie Lemieux and I am a neuroscience researcher at the Salk
> Institute for Biological Studies and I am interested in exploring biases on
> Wikipedia.
>
> My research hypothesis is that gender or ethnicity mediate the rate of
> flagging and deletion of pages for women in STEM.  I hope to
> retrospectively analyze Wikipedia's deletion history, harvest the
> biographical articles about scientists that have been created over the past
> n years and then confirm the gender and ethnicity of a large sample.
>
> It appears that we can identify deleted pages with Wikipedia's deletion log
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_log>, but to actually see
> the page that was deleted we need to be members of one of these Wikipedia
> user groups:  Administrators
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators>, Oversighters
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Oversight>, Researchers
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Researchers>, Checkusers
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CheckUser>.
>
> Does anyone have advice on how to obtain researcher status or is there
> anyone willing to collaborate who has access to the data we need?
>
> Warmly,
> Mackenzie Lemieux
>

> --
> Mackenzie Lemieux
> [hidden email]
> cell: 416-806-0041
> 220 Gilmour Avenue
> Toronto, Ontario
> M6P 3B4

Re: Requesting access to deleted pages for research purposes

WereSpielChequers-2
Hi Mackenie,

You may be correct in either or both of your hypotheses, but you might also
want to check out two other related ones.

1 Some academic institutions may have an element of misogyny in their HR
policies, leading to such situations as an academic becoming notable for
their work to the point where they merit a Wikipedia article, before they
become a full professor.

2 In Wikipedia's drive to address the gender skew in our content, we may
have some editors creating articles on women who don't yet meet our
notability criteria. Such articles are of course highly likely to be
deleted.

There is another way to approach this, check primary and secondary sources
to see how Wikipedia compares against them. For example, we have articles
on every female Fellow of the Royal Society, and we achieved that almost a
decade ago. I don't know if we yet have articles on all the blokes..  I
expect we have articles on every Nobel Prize Winner by now, but there will
be less well known awards and lists of people in STEM.

One problem in looking at deletion discussions is that they don't always
say what the person is known for, and so you can have confusion between
multiple people of the same name. I was once asked to restore a deleted
article so that someone could look at what was there and see if they could
make a clearer case re the notability of that eminent diplomat. After
looking at the deleted article, I told them not to start from the deleted
bit, and if it was the same person, to emphasise their subsequent career as
a diplomat, rather than their adolescent career as a "pro skateboarder".
So in order to find the articles on deleted female scientists, you either
need a list of deleted female scientists, or to check a lot of other
articles to find which are scientists.

Hope that's useful

WSC