Rerendering math on page save

David Leen
(I don't think this sent the first time, sorry if it did)
Hi,

I would like to know how one goes about forcing all math to be
rerendered each time someone saves a page without making any changes
to the page?

I was thinking I should use the disableCache function but I have no
idea what to do next. To see what I want to do go here:
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dleen/nahmeqn/index.php?title=Main_Page<http://www.maths.tcd.ie/%7Edleen/nahmeqn/index.php?title=Main_Page>.
There is a new command \bbeta which is rendered as \beta \beta when
using variable A in the drop down menu on the edit page. When one
changes the drop down menu to variable B the command \bbeta changes to
\bbeta = \gamma \gamma. My problem is that this is pointless unless
saving the page rerenders the math code without having to make a
change inside the math brackets to force it to render again.

I'm using mediawiki verion 1.6.8.

Thanks,
David.

Re: Rerendering math on page save

David Leen-2
Is this the right place to even ask this or is it too tough to do?

On 8/8/06, David Leen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (I don't think this sent the first time, sorry if it did)
>
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know how one goes about forcing all math to be
> rerendered each time someone saves a page without making any changes
> to the page?
>
> I was thinking I should use the disableCache function but I have no
> idea what to do next. To see what I want to do go here:
> http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dleen/nahmeqn/index.php?title=Main_Page
> .
> There is a new command \bbeta which is rendered as \beta \beta when
> using variable A in the drop down menu on the edit page. When one
> changes the drop down menu to variable B the command \bbeta changes to
> \bbeta = \gamma \gamma. My problem is that this is pointless unless
> saving the page rerenders the math code without having to make a
> change inside the math brackets to force it to render again.
>
> I'm using mediawiki verion 1.6.8.
>
> Thanks,
> David.

Re: Rerendering math on page save

Brion Vibber
David Leen wrote:
> Is this the right place to even ask this or is it too tough to do?

You seem to want something very obscure which would be slow and break display
and caching, so you're probably on your own figuring out how to do it. :)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

now locked out of my wiki

elisa.cooper
Hi, all -

In my efforts to reduce spam and add security, I seem to have attracted
the attention of someone dedicated to messing with my web site.

Now I'm locked out of my wiki all together. When I try to log in, I get a
403 error page that directs me (and anyone else who tries to log in) to a
page for a product called "Google Pack". Also, it provides an email
contact which is my regular email address with the words "+nospam@nospam"
inserted.

Any ideas how to fix this when I can't even log in?

~ E.

Re: now locked out of my wiki

David Pace
Do you have physical access to your server or are you hosted by a third
party?

On 8/11/06, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi, all -
>
> In my efforts to reduce spam and add security, I seem to have attracted
> the attention of someone dedicated to messing with my web site.
>
> Now I'm locked out of my wiki all together. When I try to log in, I get a
> 403 error page that directs me (and anyone else who tries to log in) to a
> page for a product called "Google Pack". Also, it provides an email
> contact which is my regular email address with the words "+nospam@nospam"
> inserted.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this when I can't even log in?
>
> ~ E.

Re: now locked out of my wiki

elisa.cooper

> Do you have physical access to your server or are you hosted by a third
> party?

I'm hosted by a third party. I have ftp access to my account, but not to
the whole server (re: I can't change the Apache conf file, but I can just
delete the wiki).

~ E

Re: now locked out of my wiki

elisa.cooper
Ps. The last thing I added was Bad Behavior for MediaWiki, if that helps.
I did access my wiki admin account a few times after installing that,
though.

~ E.

Re: now locked out of my wiki

David Pace
Well, not being familiar with your hosting setup, I don't think I could
offer much help. However, perhaps you could tell us what provider you are
using. Someone on the list may use the same provider and be familiar with
the setup or we could look into how your provider sets things up for you.

Really though, if you think this was some kind of malicious and deliberate
attack, you shoudl really contact customer care at your provider and report
the situation.

Do you have access to the log files for your account?

wrote:

> > Do you have physical access to your server or are you hosted by a third
> > party?
>

> I'm hosted by a third party. I have ftp access to my account, but not to
> the whole server (re: I can't change the Apache conf file, but I can just
> delete the wiki).
>
> ~ E

Re: now locked out of my wiki

elisa.cooper
Unfortunately I use Dreamhost: they conduct tech support by email, and it
can take weeks to deal with a simple problem. I doubt they would even see
this as their problem, though. Mediawiki is third-party software, so I'm
responsible for maintaining it.

I'm not sure about the log files - I'll look.

If anyone wants to see the problem, just go to this page and try to log in:

http://www.breakingranks.net/rankism_wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The "error page" is not a real error page - it hijacks people to go to
someone else's product page.

~ E.

> Well, not being familiar with your hosting setup, I don't think I could
> offer much help. However, perhaps you could tell us what provider you are
> using. Someone on the list may use the same provider and be familiar with
> the setup or we could look into how your provider sets things up for you.
>
> Really though, if you think this was some kind of malicious and deliberate
> attack, you shoudl really contact customer care at your provider and
> report
> the situation.
>
> Do you have access to the log files for your account?
>
> On 8/11/06, [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> > Do you have physical access to your server or are you hosted by a
>> third
>> > party?
>>

>> I'm hosted by a third party. I have ftp access to my account, but not to
>> the whole server (re: I can't change the Apache conf file, but I can
>> just
>> delete the wiki).
>>
>> ~ E

World Without Rankism
http://www.breakingranks.net

Re: now locked out of my wiki

wiki-4
On Friday, 11th August 2006 at 21:38:14 (GMT -0700), [hidden email] wrote:

> If anyone wants to see the problem, just go to this page and try to log in:
> http://www.breakingranks.net/rankism_wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

> The "error page" is not a real error page - it hijacks people to go
> to someone else's product page.

Someone else's? It takes the visitor to a webpage of the developers
of the Bad Behavior extension you yourself installed. (The domain
http://www.ioerror.us belongs to them.)

Have you really thoroughly studied the instructions for use
of Bad Behaviour before enabling it on your site?
http://tinyurl.com/lsxa8

Anyway, the problem should be easily disposed of if you delete the line:

include( './extensions/Bad-Behavior/bad-behavior-mediawiki.php' );

in your LocalSettings.php file. You may also want to delete the
Bad Behavior folder in your Extensions folder. That should restore
the site back to where it was before installing Bad Behavior.

--
Yours,
Alex.

jdd

Re: now locked out of my wiki

jdd
[hidden email] a écrit :
>> Do you have physical access to your server or are you hosted by a third
>> party?
>

> I'm hosted by a third party. I have ftp access to my account, but not to
> the whole server (re: I can't change the Apache conf file, but I can just
> delete the wiki).

anyway, have you still access by ftp? if so, you can fix the
situation (eventually disabling the wiki temporarily)

In this case, I advise you to change your passord...

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

Re: now locked out of my wiki

elisa.cooper

> Someone else's? It takes the visitor to a webpage of the developers
> of the Bad Behavior extension you yourself installed. (The domain
> http://www.ioerror.us belongs to them.

Ah, should have checked that.

But something doesn't make sense here. I was able to log into the wiki
fine several times after installing Bad Behavior. Why would it suddenly
start working this way?

> Have you really thoroughly studied the instructions

Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out from there, because I really need
spam protection on that wiki. :-/

~ E.

Re: now locked out of my wiki

wiki-4
On Saturday, 12th August 2006 at 06:11:10 (GMT -0700), [hidden email] wrote:

> But something doesn't make sense here. I was able to log into the wiki
> fine several times after installing Bad Behavior. Why would it suddenly
> start working this way?

The Bad Behavior log should contain the explanations. Like they
say on the instruction page, they recommend viewing the log
via phpMyAdmin. (If it's available on DreamHost.)

--
Yours,
Alex.
[processed by "The Bat!", Version 3.80.06]
(MediaWiki: 1.6.8 / PHP: 4.4.1 (cgi) / MySQL: 4.1.19-standard)

Re: now locked out of my wiki

elisa.cooper
Hi, Alex -

I do have phpAdmin on DreamHost, but I can't access my control panel right
now. Looks like DreamHost is having another weird outage. :-(

~ E.

> On Saturday, 12th August 2006 at 06:11:10 (GMT -0700),
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> But something doesn't make sense here. I was able to log into the wiki
>> fine several times after installing Bad Behavior. Why would it suddenly
>> start working this way?
>
> The Bad Behavior log should contain the explanations. Like they
> say on the instruction page, they recommend viewing the log
> via phpMyAdmin. (If it's available on DreamHost.)
>
> --
> Yours,
> Alex.
> [processed by "The Bat!", Version 3.80.06]
> (MediaWiki: 1.6.8 / PHP: 4.4.1 (cgi) / MySQL: 4.1.19-standard)

World Without Rankism
http://www.breakingranks.net

Re: now locked out of my wiki

elisa.cooper
Hi, all -

The developer was kind enough to reply to my question, and he told me to
just re-install the latest version. I can log in now - yay!

~ E.

> Hi, Alex -
>
> I do have phpAdmin on DreamHost, but I can't access my control panel right
> now. Looks like DreamHost is having another weird outage. :-(
>
> ~ E.
>
>> On Saturday, 12th August 2006 at 06:11:10 (GMT -0700),
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> But something doesn't make sense here. I was able to log into the wiki
>>> fine several times after installing Bad Behavior. Why would it suddenly
>>> start working this way?
>>
>> The Bad Behavior log should contain the explanations. Like they
>> say on the instruction page, they recommend viewing the log
>> via phpMyAdmin. (If it's available on DreamHost.)
>>
>> --
>> Yours,
>> Alex.
>> [processed by "The Bat!", Version 3.80.06]
>> (MediaWiki: 1.6.8 / PHP: 4.4.1 (cgi) / MySQL: 4.1.19-standard)

> World Without Rankism
> http://www.breakingranks.net

World Without Rankism
http://www.breakingranks.net

Re: now locked out of my wiki

Geoffrey Skinner
I have likewise been locked out of mine and likewise have 3rd party
hosting, so the same issues apply. I have been reluctant to just wipe it
out and start over, but efforts to regain access have so far been
unsuccessful. I will greatly appreciate any suggestions!

--Geoffrey

>> I'm hosted by a third party. I have ftp access to my account, but not to
>> the whole server (re: I can't change the Apache conf file, but I can just
>> delete the wiki).
>>
>> ~ E

Re: now locked out of my wiki

wiki-4
On Monday, 14th August 2006 at 08:22:11 (GMT -0700), Geoffrey Skinner wrote:

> I have likewise been locked out of mine and likewise have 3rd party
> hosting, so the same issues apply. I have been reluctant to just wipe
> it out and start over, but efforts to regain access have so far been
> unsuccessful. I will greatly appreciate any suggestions!

You'd have to describe in more detail the sympoms of your being locked
out of your wiki. Send us the error message that appears when you try
to log in. After Elisa sent us her error message, it was easy
to localize and remove the problem.

--
http://vincentdepaul.sk/skola