Research, most influential and most surprising?

Research, most influential and most surprising?

Sven Andersson
Hi everyone! I'm looking for some reading. I hope this is an acceptable use of this list.

Which are the core Wikipedia papers, that shaped understanding Wikipedia and Wikipedia research?

Which are the papers or other research that taught you the most unexpected things about Wikipedia and ran contrary to your preconceived notions about the encyclopedia?

M v h, Sven

Re: Research, most influential and most surprising?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Sven Andersson, 24/07/20 03:53:
> Hi everyone! I'm looking for some reading. I hope this is an acceptable use of this list.

Sure.

> Which are the core Wikipedia papers, that shaped understanding Wikipedia and Wikipedia research?

Hard to tell, but there was an attempt to have some selected pointers
organised by topic:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Codex

Depending on your selection criteria, you might also find some help from
various literature reviews which were published in the past, or from
semi-curated databases like Wikipapers
<http://wikipapers.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page>.

Federico

Re: Research, most influential and most surprising?

Jan Dittrich
Hello,

I guess it is hard to define a canon. For me, personally, it would be
- "The rise and decline…", as it gives a good model for declining editor
numbers [1]
- "Trace Ethnography" which has been influential in digital ethnography [2]
- "Wikipedia and the politics of openness" [3] as it views Wikipedia much
through the lens of critical theory.

Jan

[1] Halfaker, Aaron, R. Stuart Geiger, Jonathan T. Morgan, and John Riedl.
“The Rise and Decline of an Open Collaboration System: How Wikipedia’s
Reaction to Popularity Is Causing Its Decline.” *American Behavioral
Scientist* 57, no. 5 (2013): 664–88.
[2] Geiger, R. S., and D. Ribes. “Trace Ethnography: Following Coordination
through Documentary Practices.” In *2011 44th Hawaii International
Conference on System Sciences*, 1–10, 2011.
https://doi.org/10.1109/HICSS.2011.455.
[3] Tkacz, Nathaniel. *Wikipedia and the Politics of Openness*. Chicago ;
London: University of Chicago Press, 2014

Am Fr., 24. Juli 2020 um 06:35 Uhr schrieb Sven Andersson <
[hidden email]>:

> Hi everyone! I'm looking for some reading. I hope this is an acceptable
> use of this list.
>
> Which are the core Wikipedia papers, that shaped understanding Wikipedia
> and Wikipedia research?
>
> Which are the papers or other research that taught you the most unexpected
> things about Wikipedia and ran contrary to your preconceived notions about
> the encyclopedia?
>
> M v h, Sven

Jan Dittrich
UX Design/ Research

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
https://wikimedia.de

Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der Menschheit
teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.