Response from the USGS image purchaser

Judson Dunn-2

I emailed Jared (the person that bought the maps) just to say that
there was interest in uploading them to commons, and he offered to
mail a hard drive with all the images! I was thinking we would
probably just grab them from the Archive, but I thought I would let
everyone know of this offer in case anyone wanted to do it that way.

It is a lot of data, and in tiff format.

Re: Response from the USGS image purchaser

Gregory Maxwell
On 8/30/06, cohesion <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I emailed Jared (the person that bought the maps) just to say that
> there was interest in uploading them to commons, and he offered to
> mail a hard drive with all the images! I was thinking we would
> probably just grab them from the Archive, but I thought I would let
> everyone know of this offer in case anyone wanted to do it that way.
>
> It is a lot of data, and in tiff format.

Anyone know the status of Djvu support in mediawiki?  I know brion was
working on it for Wikisource.

Djvu would be the most correct format for the distribution of this data.

Re: Response from the USGS image purchaser

Guillaume Paumier
I'm very glad to see people involving themselves in this project, and Jared's answer is fantastic :)

g.

On 8/30/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8/30/06, cohesion <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I emailed Jared (the person that bought the maps) just to say that
> there was interest in uploading them to commons, and he offered to
> mail a hard drive with all the images! I was thinking we would
> probably just grab them from the Archive, but I thought I would let
> everyone know of this offer in case anyone wanted to do it that way.
>
> It is a lot of data, and in tiff format.

Anyone know the status of Djvu support in mediawiki?  I know brion was
working on it for Wikisource.

Djvu would be the most correct format for the distribution of this data.

Guillaume Paumier
Disciplus Simplex
http://fr.wikipedia.org : Resistance is futile — You will be assimilated.

Re: Response from the USGS image purchaser

Brianna Laugher
On 31/08/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone know the status of Djvu support in mediawiki?  I know brion was
> working on it for Wikisource.
>
> Djvu would be the most correct format for the distribution of this data.

It was announced a few weeks ago that DJVu is an accepted file format now.

Brianna

On 8/30/06, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 31/08/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Anyone know the status of Djvu support in mediawiki?  I know brion was
> > working on it for Wikisource.
> >
> > Djvu would be the most correct format for the distribution of this data.
>
> It was announced a few weeks ago that DJVu is an accepted file format now.

Yes, but do we support adding the embede tags for viewing with the
DJVu plugin? or automagic conversion to png or jpeg for unequipted
browsers?

Re: Response from the USGS image purchaser

Brianna Laugher
On 31/08/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, but do we support adding the embede tags for viewing with the
> DJVu plugin? or automagic conversion to png or jpeg for unequipted
> browsers?

I don't think so. See Brion's announcement:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2006-June/036562.html
He says

>For now there is no
>inline rendering (eg thumbnails), so it's only really suitable for
archival data
>such as the scans of books that go into Wikisource.

Brianna

Re: Response from the USGS image purchaser

Raimond Spekking-2

Re: Response from the USGS image purchaser

Brion Vibber
Raimond Spekking wrote:

> Gregory Maxwell schrieb:
>>> On 8/30/06, cohesion <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone know the status of Djvu support in mediawiki?  I know brion was
>>> working on it for Wikisource.
>>>
>>> Djvu would be the most correct format for the distribution of this data.
>
> There exists a testimplemantation for multipage viewing of DjVu on a
> testwiki: http://semantic.jeluf.mormo.org/index.php/Image:Test.djvu?page=16
>
> This code is implemented on Wikimedia servers too but not
> reviewed/activated. I will ask Jeluf and/or brion today.
The code's there, but I'm not sure if we've installed the required utilities for
it yet. Check with JeLuF...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Response from the USGS image purchaser

Raimond Spekking-2

Some stats and info

Fredrik Josefsson
First of all, I hereby inform everyone of the recently
created Administrators' noticeboard, located at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Administrators'_noticeboard

Secondly, everyone who is watching recent changes have
probably seen that the mass-upload of scans for
Wikisource is commencing. I personally had worries
about this, but since they do belong on Commons, this
flooding-problem must be possible to solve in some
technical way.

Third. Because of the ever-increasing traffic, several
new admins have been promoted:
August 16th, User:Lestath (pl, en-2, la-1)
August 17th, User:Cnyborg (no, en-3, +others)
August 17th, User:Odder (pl, en-2, de-2)
August 30th, User:Platonides (es, en-2, fr-1)
August 31st, User:Drini (es, en-3)

We welcome them and hope they will make good use of
their admin abilities.

Fourth. Because of the increased traffic, there is a
larger backlog, although not critical. There are
around 1,100 images without source from July, and 100
left from June. The categories can be reached from
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Unknown .

The speedy delete categories should never have a
backlog. Recently the copyright violation category,
located at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Against_policy
  , was up to 140 images, which is too much. Now it is
down to about 50 which is acceptable, but keep an eye
on it. In case anyone is interested, there is also a
category for duplicates,
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Duplicate ,
that hardly gets any attention.

Finally, I am still looking for someone who runs Linux
and understands MySql to make a specific
administrator-list. A complete tutorial is available!

/ Fred-Chess

Re: Some stats and info

Brianna Laugher
On 02/09/06, Fredrik Josefsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Finally, I am still looking for someone who runs Linux
> and understands MySql to make a specific
> administrator-list. A complete tutorial is available!

See http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_queries .

Brianna
user:pfctdayelise

Re: Some stats and info

Gregory Maxwell
On 9/1/06, Fredrik Josefsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]
> Finally, I am still looking for someone who runs Linux
> and understands MySql to make a specific
> administrator-list. A complete tutorial is available!

What exactly do you want? I don't quite understand the question, but I
can almost certainly generate whatever info you desire.

Re: Some stats and info

Fredrik Josefsson

--- Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> skrev:

> On 9/1/06, Fredrik Josefsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [snip]
> > Finally, I am still looking for someone who runs
> Linux
> > and understands MySql to make a specific
> > administrator-list. A complete tutorial is
> available!
>
> What exactly do you want? I don't quite understand
> the question, but I
> can almost certainly generate whatever info you
> desire.

It concerns the list of administrators by number of
deletions.

A user made a list, but after some disputes on the
mailinglist he didn't want to maintain it. He also
heavily truncated the page. I am looking for someone
who can maintain it and update it monthly.

If anyone is interested, I will provide the tutorial
that the user generously wrote for me.

/ Fred-Chess

Re: Some stats and info

Cary Bass
Greg,

This sounds like it's right up your alley :)

Cary

Re: Some stats and info

Brianna Laugher
Fred, first I would establish an on-wiki opt-in page. Ask Orgullomoore
to drop a line on all admin's talk pages, ask them to go to a page and
sign if they consent to being identified with statistics about their
admin activities.

Brianna