Restricting who can register on a wiki

Peter Evans
Does anyone know of a way of controlling the way people can register and
establish an account.

Perhaps having a password on the user registration page or being able to
move the account creation page to an obscure location.

We are currently preventing user self registration using
   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Access_Restrictions

Regards,
Peter Evans

professional site: http://www.usq.edu.au/users/evansp/
family site:  http://baker-evans.webpal.info/
email: [hidden email]
MSN Messenger: id=[hidden email] (messenger.msn.com - please don't
email to this address)
Internet phone: id=evans-pj (Skype internet phone - www.skype.com)
Paltalk: id=evans-pj (Paltalk text and audio conferencing -
www.paltalk.com)
Gizmo: id= evans_pj (Gizmo text and audio conferencing -
www.gizmoproject.com)

Re: Restricting who can register on a wiki

Rob Church
You could write an extension using the AbortNewAccount hook. This
would perform a second-level check that the user was permitted to
create the account, and then do the actual creation itself, later.

This is a matter of retaining the user class information and saving
the object at a later date.

Rob Church