Restricting write access for a custom namespace to a single group

Restricting write access for a custom namespace to a single group

Isaac Guenard
Hello

I am searching the archives for an answer at the moment, but it’s a pretty long task, so I thought I would post the question while I searched in case anyone had an answer.

In http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Preventing_Access there is an excellent section detailing how to restrict read access for a custom namespace to a single group. I am attempting to modify the same approach so that I can restrict edit access instead.

The idea is that we intend to operate a public wiki, but a small portion of the content is to be set aside to host the official product documentation. I want this custom namespace to only permit edit access to members of a custom group.

At first glance, it seems I need to edit Title.php and modify the userCanEdit() function, but my initial attempts generate some pretty gnarly errors. My PHP skills are VERY novice level, and I have only been using Wikipedia for a week, so I feel a bit like a bull in a fine china shop.

Can anyone provide a hint or some pointers?

Thanks

Isaac Guenard
Sr. Product Manager - eyeon Software

web   : www.eyeonline.com
email : [hidden email]
phone : 416 686-8411 x300

Re: Restricting write access for a custom namespace to a single group

COURTAUD Didier
Hi

Another way to prevent access is explained here

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hidden_pages

and seems to be what you are looking for !

Didier Courtaud