Results of Wikimedia UK board election

joseph seddon
On behalf of British community and the election committee, I would like to thank all those who participated
in this election.  The committee apologises for the delay in getting these results out. Internet access and real
life resulted in time not being readily available this weekend and hence the lateness. In total, 27 members of the
British community voted in the election, therefore, to reach the 50% requirement, 14 votes in favour of a candidate
were required.

5 candidates will head the initial board for Wikimedia UK and be responsible for its set up. Due to only 5 candidates
reaching the required 50% vote the board the board will consist of those people. The board members are as follows:

KTC
AndrewRT
CFP
Warofdreams
Mike Peel.

I would like to wish the best of luck to all those who will be responsible, whether board members or not, for making
Wikimedia UK a fully functional and successful chapter . In time, feedback will be passed onto the board before the
next elections to hopefully improve this process.

User:Seddon @ en:wiki

Election committee

Win £3000 to spend on whatever you want at Uni! Click here to WIN!

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Al Tally
2008/9/30 joseph seddon <[hidden email]>
The board members are as follows:

KTC
AndrewRT
CFP
Warofdreams
Mike Peel.

Congrats!

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Tom Holden

I’d just like to give my thanks to the election committee for organising this for us, and I hope the rigour the process achieved will have gone some way to countering the doubts some people had about how representative WMUK could ever be.

Those of us elected have been handed a clear mandate to turn WMUK into an open, transparent and democratic charity as soon as conceivably possible, something I for one am determined to see happen. I urge the future members of WMUK to hold a (metaphorical) whip over me and the rest of the board to keep things moving and to make sure we don’t stray from what we’ve been elected to do.

We are very much only a temporary board, and I hope that all of those who stood this time will stand again in the “official” elections which will hopefully come in the next few months. I also hope that those who have been instrumental in getting us this far (not least Tango) will continue to help as actively as they have up to now.

I should also add a brief apology: I’ve been in crunch with a paper since getting back from holidays so I haven’t been around as much as I might have been, so sorry! I’ve been continuing slowly at least with Wikimania stuff and have a few new open leads, however in the next few weeks I’ll be both ramping up my efforts on it and making a more concerted effort to assign jobs to particular people.

May I suggest that we have our first open board meeting at 8PM tonight (Tuesday) on IRC to discuss who’s doing which of the initial tasks.

Tom

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Thomas Dalton
> Those of us elected have been handed a clear mandate to turn WMUK into an
> open, transparent and democratic charity as soon as conceivably possible,
> something I for one am determined to see happen. I urge the future members
> of WMUK to hold a (metaphorical) whip over me and the rest of the board to
> keep things moving and to make sure we don't stray from what we've been
> elected to do.

Oh, don't worry, I'll get a real whip if need be! ;)

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Katie Chan
Likewise, I would like to thank everyone who has given taken part so far
in helping to get a new chapter going, whether that's the election
committee for running the election, the candidates for standing, or the
wider community who has voted and/or offer comments or thoughts. I would
hope to

> May I suggest that we have our first open board meeting at 8PM tonight
> (Tuesday) on IRC to discuss who’s doing which of the initial tasks.

The 8pm of 30th September? Unfortunately I will be otherwise engaged not
least for the fact that it's my birthday. :)

KTC

  - Heinrich Heine

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Florence Devouard-3
joseph seddon wrote:

> On behalf of British community and the election committee, I would like
> to thank all those who participated
> in this election.  The committee apologises for the delay in getting
> these results out. Internet access and real
> life resulted in time not being readily available this weekend and hence
> the lateness. In total, 27 members of the
> British community voted in the election, therefore, to reach the 50%
> requirement, 14 votes in favour of a candidate
> were required.
>
> 5 candidates will head the initial board for Wikimedia UK and be
> responsible for its set up. Due to only 5 candidates
> reaching the required 50% vote the board the board will consist of those
> people. The board members are as follows:
>
> KTC
> AndrewRT
> CFP
> Warofdreams
> Mike Peel.
>
> I would like to wish the best of luck to all those who will be
> responsible, whether board members or not, for making
> Wikimedia UK a fully functional and successful chapter . In time,
> feedback will be passed onto the board before the
> next elections to hopefully improve this process.
>
> User:Seddon @ en:wiki
>
> Election committee

Thank you Seddon

Given that an association anchor you in the real world, could you please
provide the real name equivalent of these people ?

Thanks

Ant

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Delphine Ménard
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 09:06, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> joseph seddon wrote:

>> 5 candidates will head the initial board for Wikimedia UK and be
>> responsible for its set up. Due to only 5 candidates
>> reaching the required 50% vote the board the board will consist of those
>> people. The board members are as follows:
>>
>> KTC
>> AndrewRT
>> CFP
>> Warofdreams
>> Mike Peel.

> Given that an association anchor you in the real world, could you please
> provide the real name equivalent of these people ?

She beat me to it. :-)

I think it would make a lot of sense, especially to dissociate their
role on-wiki from their role off-wiki.

Cheers,

Delphine
--
~notafish

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

geni
2008/9/30 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 09:06, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> joseph seddon wrote:
>
>>> 5 candidates will head the initial board for Wikimedia UK and be
>>> responsible for its set up. Due to only 5 candidates
>>> reaching the required 50% vote the board the board will consist of those
>>> people. The board members are as follows:
>>>
>>> KTC
>>> AndrewRT
>>> CFP
>>> Warofdreams
>>> Mike Peel.
>
>> Given that an association anchor you in the real world, could you please
>> provide the real name equivalent of these people ?
>
> She beat me to it. :-)
>
> I think it would make a lot of sense, especially to dissociate their
> role on-wiki from their role off-wiki.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Delphine
> --
> ~notafish

Names are listed on meta.

--
geni

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Ian A. Holton
The elected members by real name are:

Kwan Ting Chan
Andrew Turvey
Tom Holden
Michael Conn
Mike Peel

An all male board, sadly, but maybe the new temporary board can also work on this in the future.

Ian
[[User:Poeloq]]

Andrew Turvey

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
2008/9/30 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 09:06, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> joseph seddon wrote:
>
>>> 5 candidates will head the initial board for Wikimedia UK and be
>>> responsible for its set up. Due to only 5 candidates
>>> reaching the required 50% vote the board the board will consist of those
>>> people. The board members are as follows:
>>>
>>> KTC
>>> AndrewRT
>>> CFP
>>> Warofdreams
>>> Mike Peel.
>
>> Given that an association anchor you in the real world, could you please
>> provide the real name equivalent of these people ?
>
> She beat me to it. :-)
>
> I think it would make a lot of sense, especially to dissociate their
> role on-wiki from their role off-wiki.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Delphine
> --
> ~notafish

Names are listed on meta.

--
geni

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

2008/9/30 joseph seddon <[hidden email]>:

> KTC
> AndrewRT
> CFP
> Warofdreams
> Mike Peel.

Congratulations :-)

- d.

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Michael Peel
I would also like to ditto what KTC and Tom have said, with especial
thanks to the election committee and to all that voted. I hope that
we can get WMUK2 set up as speedily as we can.

Having the initial meeting in IRC on Thursday 2nd October at 8pm
works well for me.

Thanks,
Mike

On 30 Sep 2008, at 04:09, Kwan Ting Chan wrote:

> Likewise, I would like to thank everyone who has given taken part
> so far
> in helping to get a new chapter going, whether that's the election
> committee for running the election, the candidates for standing, or
> the
> wider community who has voted and/or offer comments or thoughts. I
> would
> hope to
>
>> May I suggest that we have our first open board meeting at 8PM
>> tonight
>> (Tuesday) on IRC to discuss who’s doing which of the initial tasks.
>
> The 8pm of 30th September? Unfortunately I will be otherwise
> engaged not
> least for the fact that it's my birthday. :)
>
> KTC
>
> --
> Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
>   - Heinrich Heine

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Chris McKenna
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Ian A. Holton wrote:

> *An all male board, sadly, but maybe the new temporary board can also work
> on this in the future.

Looking at user pages, and candidate statements, etc, it would appear that
with the possible exception of user:Kate (who has not obviously disclosed
their gender anywhere I looked) all the candidates were male. This means
that an all-male board was (all-but) guaranteed before the election
started.

--
Chris McKenna

[hidden email]
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna

but with the heart

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Alison M. Wheeler
Congratulations to the 'new batch' (and condolences to your email which
will not forgive you for the spam it will eventually receive!)

I've written to each of you separately, but here I'd just like to note
that I am pleased that April 13 is still getting an influence over things
;-P

Regards

Alison

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Ross Gardler
Ian A. Holton wrote:
> The elected members by real name are:
>
> Kwan Ting Chan
> Andrew Turvey
> Tom Holden
> Michael Conn
> Mike Peel

Congratulations to those elected.

I am pleased to add my personal support to this new venture although it
is unlikely that this will turn in to much more than peanut gallery
stuff (I'm a crack shot with those things sometimes).

However, In my day job I manage OSS Watch, the UK Innovation Support
Centre for open source in Higher and Further Education. We are based at
the Univerity of Oxford and funded by the Joint Information System
Committee (JISC).

As the objectives of the foundation are firmed up I will be looking on
to see how we can best build a symbiotic relationshp.

The first point of call will be with respect to the conference proposal.
   At the very least we can get any University owned venues at a
discounted rate - but I'm sure we can do more than that for you.

Ross

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Mickey Conn
I'm delighted to have been elected and to be part of a board which I
believe can make Wikimedia UK 2.0 a reality - more than that, a big
success - and will work to ensure that this happens to schedule and in
a way which encourages wide participation.

Thank you to everyone who voted, who has expressed an interest in the
project, or who stood for the board.  I hope that everyone will remain
involved and will participate in the elections scheduled to be held
once the organisation is up and running.

I'd also like to thank the election committee for their prompt and
diligent administration of the election.

If anyone would like to ask me any questions or put their views to me,
at any point, please e-mail me at this address, or contact me through
my Wikipedia talk page.

Finally, I intend to stick by the pledges I made when standing for
election.  Please feel free to hold me to account if you believe I am
doing otherwise!

Mickey Conn

Re: Results of Wikimedia UK board election

Peter Coombe
Ditto what everyone else said, congrats to those elected and thanks to
the election committee and all who stood.

I know I haven't been involved much in the chapter discussions so far,
but I've been out of the country and only recently got back (the
election committee might have noticed my vote coming in at the last
minute!). I hope to be able to help out more now though. Having failed
to write the previous Signpost article I promised (although Ral315 did
a very good one instead), I've pulled my finger out and written up one
on the election - it's currently languishing at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:The_wub/post if anyone wants to
check it for factual errors.

the wub

P.S. Happy belated birthday KTC!

First meeting of the board tomorrow evening

Michael Peel
All,

The first meeting of the WMUKv2 board will take place tomorrow
(Thursday) evening at 8PM (British time) on IRC, probably on the
#wikimedia-uk-board channel (if otherwise, then details will be
emailed to this list).

Everyone is invited to listen, but speaking will probably be
restricted to board members only or people that the board invites to
speak, so that the meeting can go quickly and smoothly. Discussion
about the meeting will probably take place simultaneously in
#wikimedia-uk , which at least one board member will be watching. A
log of the meeting will be made available afterwards.

Mike Peel

Re: First meeting of the board tomorrow evening

Andrew Whitworth-2
I hate to be a bother, but what does that translate into for UTC?

--Andrew Whitworth

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> The first meeting of the WMUKv2 board will take place tomorrow
> (Thursday) evening at 8PM (British time) on IRC, probably on the
> #wikimedia-uk-board channel (if otherwise, then details will be
> emailed to this list).
>
> Everyone is invited to listen, but speaking will probably be
> restricted to board members only or people that the board invites to
> speak, so that the meeting can go quickly and smoothly. Discussion
> about the meeting will probably take place simultaneously in
> #wikimedia-uk , which at least one board member will be watching. A
> log of the meeting will be made available afterwards.
>
> Mike Peel

Re: First meeting of the board tomorrow evening

Michael Peel
7PM UTC.

Mike