Results of second (German) Wikipedia usability test online

Results of second (German) Wikipedia usability test online

Tim 'avatar' Bartel
Hi Wikipedians,

please note, that you can find first results of the second usability
test ("Editing Information in the German Wikipedia") from
OpenUsability.org here:
http://openusability.org/download.php/89/germanwikipedia_usabilitytest_edit.pdf

This isn't only interesting for Germans.

Bye, avatar.

--
telnet hundehalsband.georg.hunde.sonnenstrasse.muenchen.de
Trying 942884947298374923847982472983.2398749874987249247.2398472372349.

Re: Results of second (German) Wikipedia usability test online

Gregory Maxwell
On 3/7/06, Tim 'avatar' Bartel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Wikipedians,
>
> please note, that you can find first results of the second usability
> test ("Editing Information in the German Wikipedia") from
> OpenUsability.org here:
> http://openusability.org/download.php/89/germanwikipedia_usabilitytest_edit.pdf
>
> This isn't only interesting for Germans.

I think it's interesting that it mentions the "Don't know" license trap.

I created the initial version of this on enwiki. It was actually
intended to be somewhat unhelpful to the uploader: The problem we were
having is that uploaders were selecting licenses at random because
they did not take the time to read the instruction. This was creating
a huge problem of incorrectly tagged images which was very difficult
to clean up.

The initial version on enwiki
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Don%27t_know&oldid=23465403)
intentionally underplayed the importance of the template. It does not
feature the stop hand or alert icons which most warning templates
have, and it did not have the deletion warning in bold.

The idea was the users who are just care about getting something
uploaded will be satisfied, and the image will survive only with the
help of more established users. We don't want new users changing the
notice, even if this means that some users who could have selected the
right license will not do so... it's better to have 5 more images
flagged for review than 1 incorrectly flagged as free licensed.

I see on english wiki that someone has bolded the text mentioning
deletion, I've changed that.

Gregory Maxwell schrieb am 07.03.2006 08:38:
> I think it's interesting that it mentions the "Don't know" license trap.
[...]
> I see on english wiki that someone has bolded the text mentioning
> deletion, I've changed that.

I pointed Ellen to your reply.
She wrote (she isn't subscribed to this list):

> hey - interessant! Das fruehere Template war sehr viel weniger Furcht
> einfloessend :)
> Waere zusaetzlich gut, wenn die Anweisung, wie man Tags einsetzt
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Template_messages/Image_namespace)
> nicht gleich zu Anfang die "gefaehrlichen" Tags zeigt, sondern die
> gebraeuchlichsten. Ausserdem waere im Einleitungssatz
>
> These are tags to be placed on the image description pages, i.e., the
> pages that open up when pictures in articles are clicked. This is not
> the complete list (at the moment). When tagging images, please see the
> full text list at Wikipedia:Image copyright tags.
>
> der Zusatz "These are tags to be placed in the License section on the
> image description pages..." hilfreich, evtl durch einen Screenshot
> veranschaulicht.
I try to translate (sorry for my bad english):

hey - interesting! The former template was much less awesome :)
It would be better if the instruction how to insert tags
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Template_messages/Image_namespace)
don't list the "dangerous" tags at the bginning, but the ones most often
used. Also in the beginning sentence

These are tags to be placed on the image description pages, i.e., the
pages that open up when pictures in articles are clicked. This is not
the complete list (at the moment). When tagging images, please see the
full text list at Wikipedia:Image copyright tags.

the addition "These are tags to be placed in the License section on the
image description pages..." would be helpfull, perhaps illustrated by a
screenshot.

Bye, Tim.

--
> rm ist *kein* Packer.
Doch. Aber verlustbehaftete Komprimierung.
(Jens Mueller in de.talk.jugend)

Re: Results of second (German) Wikipedia usability test online

Matthew Brown-5
On 3/6/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The idea was the users who are just care about getting something
> uploaded will be satisfied, and the image will survive only with the
> help of more established users. We don't want new users changing the
> notice, even if this means that some users who could have selected the
> right license will not do so... it's better to have 5 more images
> flagged for review than 1 incorrectly flagged as free licensed.

I wonder if we should prompt more explicitly for image sources in the upload?

-Matt

Re: Results of second (German) Wikipedia usability test online

Matthew Brown-5
Interesting usability survey - and yes, most of it is common to most
Wikipedia editions (and indeed to most Wikimedia projects).

-Matt

Re: Results of second (German) Wikipedia usability test online

Michael Snow
Matt Brown wrote:

>On 3/6/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>The idea was the users who are just care about getting something
>>uploaded will be satisfied, and the image will survive only with the
>>help of more established users. We don't want new users changing the
>>notice, even if this means that some users who could have selected the
>>right license will not do so... it's better to have 5 more images
>>flagged for review than 1 incorrectly flagged as free licensed.
>>

>I wonder if we should prompt more explicitly for image sources in the upload?

I've been advocating this as a required field for a long time.

--Michael Snow