Retrieving article deleted for NN

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Retrieving article deleted for NN

Steve Bennett-4
Hello all,
  An article dear to my heart (well, more an article about a subject
dear to my heart) has apparently recently deleted for non-notability.
Although I actually agree with that designation, I suddenly sympathise
with anyone who's had an article deleted! Particularly some of the
(good faith) remarks made on the AfD page like "Delete. It still
amazes me some of the topics that people think are notable." -

Just wondering whether it's possible for me to get the content (and if
possible, history) of the article back? There are probably more
appropriate places to host it. Or maybe even trim it down and merge it
into some other article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Engineering_Music_Society

Steve
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

MacGyverMagic/Mgm
Yes, there's several admins quite willing to retrieve content if you
don't plan on reposting exact copies. Only Tony Sidaway comes to mind
right now. I'm afraid, I'm too busy doing other stuff.

Mgm

On 3/15/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>  An article dear to my heart (well, more an article about a subject
> dear to my heart) has apparently recently deleted for non-notability.
> Although I actually agree with that designation, I suddenly sympathise
> with anyone who's had an article deleted! Particularly some of the
> (good faith) remarks made on the AfD page like "Delete. It still
> amazes me some of the topics that people think are notable." -
>
> Just wondering whether it's possible for me to get the content (and if
> possible, history) of the article back? There are probably more
> appropriate places to host it. Or maybe even trim it down and merge it
> into some other article.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Engineering_Music_Society
>
> Steve
> _______________________________________________
> WikiEN-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
>
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Keith Old
In reply to this post by Steve Bennett-4
On 3/16/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hello all,
>   An article dear to my heart (well, more an article about a subject
> dear to my heart) has apparently recently deleted for non-notability.
> Although I actually agree with that designation, I suddenly sympathise
> with anyone who's had an article deleted! Particularly some of the
> (good faith) remarks made on the AfD page like "Delete. It still
> amazes me some of the topics that people think are notable." -
>
> Just wondering whether it's possible for me to get the content (and if
> possible, history) of the article back? There are probably more
> appropriate places to host it. Or maybe even trim it down and merge it
> into some other article.
>
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Engineering_Music_Society
>
> Steve
> _______________________________________________
> WikiEN-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
>

Steve,

I was one of those people who voted to delete this article and I stand by
the vote although I sympathise with you.

You could go to Deletion review. However, I suggested in the discussion that
the subject could warrant a brief mention on the University of Melbourne
article. However, unless it had members who went on to have notable musical
careers or had some other form of impact on the wider world, I don't think
it warrants a standalone article.

Regards


Keith Old
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Ben Lowe
I sent the deleted content to him.

On 3/15/06, Keith Old <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 3/16/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >   An article dear to my heart (well, more an article about a subject
> > dear to my heart) has apparently recently deleted for non-notability.
> > Although I actually agree with that designation, I suddenly sympathise
> > with anyone who's had an article deleted! Particularly some of the
> > (good faith) remarks made on the AfD page like "Delete. It still
> > amazes me some of the topics that people think are notable." -
> >
> > Just wondering whether it's possible for me to get the content (and if
> > possible, history) of the article back? There are probably more
> > appropriate places to host it. Or maybe even trim it down and merge it
> > into some other article.
> >
> >
> >
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Engineering_Music_Society
> >
> > Steve
> > _______________________________________________
> > WikiEN-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> > http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
> >
>
> Steve,
>
> I was one of those people who voted to delete this article and I stand by
> the vote although I sympathise with you.
>
> You could go to Deletion review. However, I suggested in the discussion
> that
> the subject could warrant a brief mention on the University of Melbourne
> article. However, unless it had members who went on to have notable
> musical
> careers or had some other form of impact on the wider world, I don't think
> it warrants a standalone article.
>
> Regards
>
>
> Keith Old
> _______________________________________________
> WikiEN-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
>
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Guy Chapman aka JzG
In reply to this post by MacGyverMagic/Mgm
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:45:22 +0100, you wrote:

> there's several admins quite willing to retrieve content if you
>don't plan on reposting exact copies

Me, for one.
Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Death Phoenix
Me too. Basically, anyone listed in [[:Category: User undeletion]], which is
linked to {{user recovery}} (note: this is NOT a userbox).

On 3/15/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:45:22 +0100, you wrote:
>
> > there's several admins quite willing to retrieve content if you
> >don't plan on reposting exact copies
>
> Me, for one.
> Guy (JzG)
> --
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG
>
> _______________________________________________
> WikiEN-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
>
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

MacGyverMagic/Mgm
In reply to this post by Guy Chapman aka JzG
On 3/15/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:45:22 +0100, you wrote:
>
> > there's several admins quite willing to retrieve content if you
> >don't plan on reposting exact copies
>
> Me, for one.
> Guy (JzG)
> --
And if he's not planning to repost to begin with and just wants a copy
for personal use, I don't see problem anyway.

Mgm
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Steve Bennett-4
In reply to this post by Keith Old
On 3/15/06, Keith Old <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was one of those people who voted to delete this article and I stand by
> the vote although I sympathise with you.
>
> You could go to Deletion review. However, I suggested in the discussion that
> the subject could warrant a brief mention on the University of Melbourne
> article. However, unless it had members who went on to have notable musical
> careers or had some other form of impact on the wider world, I don't think
> it warrants a standalone article.

Hello,
  I appreciate the votes of sympathy here :)  Honestly, though, I've
been surprised that that article stood as long as it did. When I've
been considering notability on other things, I've always thought "but
hang on, *that* article is there...".  I really don't disagree with
the deletion in anyway...it's a shame, but I don't disagree. Sort of
like when the vet says your pet dog should be put down, I guess.

I think in this case it might be worth creating a University of
Melbourne Clubs and Societies article, because I could mount a genuine
case that the C&S at U of M actually *are* notable as a group.

Hmm...now, re-reading the article (thanks very much Ben), I'm
wondering if the club *isn't* notable, as a community music group,
rather than as a university society. It's true, societies are a dime a
dozen. But community music groups that anyone can join (it's open to
non-students) are rare, and there can't be many of this size (around
200 members). *thinking music*

Steve
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Tony Sidaway-3
In reply to this post by Death Phoenix
On 3/15/06, Death Phoenix <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Me too. Basically, anyone listed in [[:Category: User undeletion]], which is
> linked to {{user recovery}} (note: this is NOT a userbox).

Oh yes it is!  It doesn't actually contain a table and there aren't
any colors, but the purpose and usage are exactly the same.  Just
because something doesn't *look* like a userbox, doesn't mean it isn't
a userbox.  A the creator of that particular template, *I* should
know.
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Tony Sidaway-3
I'd say that this article should *never* have been listed for
deletion. As an article about a fairly longlived students' society
with several established orchestras, bands and whatnot that have given
public performances, it should have been merged to the parent article
about the University.

This is what is so frustrating about the deletion process.  Absence of
thought is endemic.
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

The Cunctator
In reply to this post by Steve Bennett-4
On 3/15/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>   An article dear to my heart (well, more an article about a subject
> dear to my heart) has apparently recently deleted for non-notability.
> Although I actually agree with that designation, I suddenly sympathise
> with anyone who's had an article deleted! Particularly some of the
> (good faith) remarks made on the AfD page like "Delete. It still
> amazes me some of the topics that people think are notable." -
>
> Just wondering whether it's possible for me to get the content (and if
> possible, history) of the article back? There are probably more
> appropriate places to host it. Or maybe even trim it down and merge it
> into some other article.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Engineering_Music_Society
>
I'd just like to say I think it's pathetic this was deleted.
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Kat Walsh
In reply to this post by Steve Bennett-4
On 3/15/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm...now, re-reading the article (thanks very much Ben), I'm
> wondering if the club *isn't* notable, as a community music group,
> rather than as a university society. It's true, societies are a dime a
> dozen. But community music groups that anyone can join (it's open to
> non-students) are rare, and there can't be many of this size (around
> 200 members). *thinking music*

Community music groups that anyone can join are rare? I've only been a
member of one with over 200 members, probably over 300 -- the others
had about 80 -- but they weren't unusual and I wouldn't call any of
them notable; they'd probably merit mention in the articles about the
town or university they were based in, though.

Not that I would nominate an article on one for deletion if it showed
up, of course -- I'd leave that dirty work to someone else!

-Kat

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage | (G)AIM:LucidWaking
"Once you have tasted flight you will always walk with your eyes cast
upward. For there you have been and there you will always be."
- Leonardo da Vinci
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Guy Chapman aka JzG
In reply to this post by Tony Sidaway-3
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 04:19:32 +0000, you wrote:

>I'd say that this article should *never* have been listed for
>deletion. As an article about a fairly longlived students' society
>with several established orchestras, bands and whatnot that have given
>public performances, it should have been merged to the parent article
>about the University.

That's probably what I would have suggested too.
Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Steve Bennett-4
In reply to this post by Tony Sidaway-3
On 3/16/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd say that this article should *never* have been listed for
> deletion. As an article about a fairly longlived students' society
> with several established orchestras, bands and whatnot that have given
> public performances, it should have been merged to the parent article
> about the University.

Well, if not the University, then either the Union (which funds it),
or some more specialized article (the Union article is, um, an
interesting place at the moment with no room for clubs ;)) about clubs
and societies of the union.

For those not familiar with Australian student union structures, the
student life on campus is usually run/supported/funded by a Student
Union, which is not really a union in the traditional sense. The
university itself usually tries to keep itself quite separate,
probably to avoid students doing silly things that would tarnish their
reputation...

Steve
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Stephen Bain
In reply to this post by Steve Bennett-4
On 3/16/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think in this case it might be worth creating a University of
> Melbourne Clubs and Societies article, because I could mount a genuine
> case that the C&S at U of M actually *are* notable as a group.

Absolutely, this was suggested a while ago on the talk page, IIRC, but
noone has gotten around to it yet. We totally need coverage of More
Beer!

--
Stephen Bain
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Stephen Bain
In reply to this post by MacGyverMagic/Mgm
On 3/16/06, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> And if he's not planning to repost to begin with and just wants a copy
> for personal use, I don't see problem anyway.

Except on the Dutch wiki, there you can repost as much as you like :)

--
Stephen Bain
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Guy Chapman aka JzG
In reply to this post by Stephen Bain
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:54:35 +1100, you wrote:

>> I think in this case it might be worth creating a University of
>> Melbourne Clubs and Societies article, because I could mount a genuine
>> case that the C&S at U of M actually *are* notable as a group.

>Absolutely, this was suggested a while ago on the talk page, IIRC, but
>noone has gotten around to it yet. We totally need coverage of More
>Beer!

I'm certainly in favour of covering university clubs and societies in
this way, as long as people can resist the temptation to name-check
all their friends and document the many unique ways in which they get
drunk.  Unless they really are unique, of course.  I suppose we could
have a university-club-template - {{{clubname}}} is a university club,
it organises pub-crawls, its officers are elected annually, it is part
of the students' union at {{{university}}}.  Subst that in and no
further effort is required for most of them :-)
Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Steve Bennett-4
On 3/16/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm certainly in favour of covering university clubs and societies in
> this way, as long as people can resist the temptation to name-check
> all their friends and document the many unique ways in which they get
> drunk.  Unless they really are unique, of course.  I suppose we could
> have a university-club-template - {{{clubname}}} is a university club,
> it organises pub-crawls, its officers are elected annually, it is part
> of the students' union at {{{university}}}.  Subst that in and no
> further effort is required for most of them :-)

Pub crawls! That's a great idea! Wait till I contact "the guys"!

Steve
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Tony Sidaway-3
In reply to this post by Steve Bennett-4
On 3/16/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For those not familiar with Australian student union structures, the
> student life on campus is usually run/supported/funded by a Student
> Union, which is not really a union in the traditional sense. The
> university itself usually tries to keep itself quite separate,
> probably to avoid students doing silly things that would tarnish their
> reputation...

This sounds pretty much like the British model.  I've no idea what
other countries do, but the rule I learned is: if it involves wine and
cheese, it's Faculty; if it involves beer and the kind of girls who
don't stand around eating cheese, it's Union.
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Death Phoenix
In reply to this post by Tony Sidaway-3
I stand corrected. As a user of this template, however, I would say that it
VISUALLY does not resemble a userbox, even though its usage matches that of
a userbox, so I'll continue to list it on my user page rather than my
/Userboxes page.

On 3/15/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 3/15/06, Death Phoenix <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Me too. Basically, anyone listed in [[:Category: User undeletion]],
> which is
> > linked to {{user recovery}} (note: this is NOT a userbox).
>
> Oh yes it is!  It doesn't actually contain a table and there aren't
> any colors, but the purpose and usage are exactly the same.  Just
> because something doesn't *look* like a userbox, doesn't mean it isn't
> a userbox.  A the creator of that particular template, *I* should
> know.
> _______________________________________________
> WikiEN-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
>
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
12