Retrieving article deleted for NN

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

geni
On 3/16/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This sounds pretty much like the British model.  I've no idea what
> other countries do, but the rule I learned is: if it involves wine and
> cheese, it's Faculty; if it involves beer and the kind of girls who
> don't stand around eating cheese, it's Union.

I don't know my union nearly started a cheese socirety
--
geni

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Steve Bennett wrote:

> On 3/16/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>I'm certainly in favour of covering university clubs and societies in
>>this way, as long as people can resist the temptation to name-check
>>all their friends and document the many unique ways in which they get
>>drunk.  Unless they really are unique, of course.  I suppose we could
>>have a university-club-template - {{{clubname}}} is a university club,
>>it organises pub-crawls, its officers are elected annually, it is part
>>of the students' union at {{{university}}}.  Subst that in and no
>>further effort is required for most of them :-)
>

> Pub crawls! That's a great idea! Wait till I contact "the guys"!

You don't do pubcrawls? I can think of several at my uni that do:

- the Engineering society
- the Maths society
- the Ski society
- the Stein Club
- the Medicine students society

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Steve Bennett-4
On 3/17/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You don't do pubcrawls? I can think of several at my uni that do:
>
> - the Engineering society
> - the Maths society
> - the Ski society
> - the Stein Club
> - the Medicine students society

Oh yeah, most of the big clubs do. Just not that particular club.

Well, I think. In this case, the university cracked down several years
ago on "alcohol-related" events. Something like, you can have alcohol
at an event, but you can't advertise an event as being about alcohol.
I seem to recall on at least one occasion hearing a public
announcement by a club along the lines of "Sorry everyone, the pub
crawl's been cancelled. In case anyone's wondering where I'll be this
afternoon, I'm going for a walk around the neighbourhood, starting at
pub X in 30 minutes."

Pity there isn't a Wikien-l-OT list to carry on this sort of fun conversation :)

Steve

Portal subject areas

Steve Block-3
Okay, I ran across [[Portal:Fascism]] today and admit it made me double
take. I'm pondering whether this is a POV fork or a legitimate subject
area for a portal.  We also have [[Portal:Anarchism]], which I don't
feel so bad about, which probably does point me in the direction of
being biased, so I've come here for a ''discreet'' sounding of opinion.

Steve block

Re: Portal subject areas

Katefan0
Steve, I'm afraid I have no immediate answer to your dilemma, though I would
be remiss if I didn't note that the idea of having a portal to organize
anarchism in neat little boxes makes me laugh.

On 3/17/06, Steve Block <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, I ran across [[Portal:Fascism]] today and admit it made me double
> take. I'm pondering whether this is a POV fork or a legitimate subject
> area for a portal.  We also have [[Portal:Anarchism]], which I don't
> feel so bad about, which probably does point me in the direction of
> being biased, so I've come here for a ''discreet'' sounding of opinion.
>
> Steve block

Re: Portal subject areas

Steve Bennett-4
On the same note, why not try making changes to the fascism portal,
and just see what happens?

Steve

On 3/17/06, Katefan0 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steve, I'm afraid I have no immediate answer to your dilemma, though I would
> be remiss if I didn't note that the idea of having a portal to organize
> anarchism in neat little boxes makes me laugh.

> On 3/17/06, Steve Block <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Okay, I ran across [[Portal:Fascism]] today and admit it made me double
> > take. I'm pondering whether this is a POV fork or a legitimate subject
> > area for a portal.  We also have [[Portal:Anarchism]], which I don't
> > feel so bad about, which probably does point me in the direction of
> > being biased, so I've come here for a ''discreet'' sounding of opinion.
> >
> > Steve block

Re: Portal subject areas

Philip Welch
On Mar 18, 2006, at 1:16 AM, Steve Bennett wrote:

> On the same note, why not try making changes to the fascism portal,
> and just see what happens?
>
> Steve

If you make changes to the anarchism portal, no one really cares
because no one's in charge of it.

Changes to the communism portal are only possible after approval from
the Portal Commissar, even though the portal theoretically belongs to
all the people.

If you change the fascism portal, on the other hand, you get shot.

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch

Re: Retrieving article deleted for NN

Stephen Bain
On 3/17/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I think. In this case, the university cracked down several years
> ago on "alcohol-related" events. Something like, you can have alcohol
> at an event, but you can't advertise an event as being about alcohol.
> I seem to recall on at least one occasion hearing a public
> announcement by a club along the lines of "Sorry everyone, the pub
> crawl's been cancelled. In case anyone's wondering where I'll be this
> afternoon, I'm going for a walk around the neighbourhood, starting at
> pub X in 30 minutes."

One of the more popular orientation week events at my uni is the
"Parkville Heritage Stroll", which samples some of the wonderful
architecture in the suburb around the campus. Of course, all the
lovely old buildings just happen to be pubs.

--
Stephen Bain

On 3/19/06, Stephen Bain <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One of the more popular orientation week events at my uni is the
> "Parkville Heritage Stroll", which samples some of the wonderful
> architecture in the suburb around the campus. Of course, all the
> lovely old buildings just happen to be pubs.

Lol...that is absolutely classic. I love it.

Steve