[RfC] Feature to watch categorylinks

Kai Nissen
Hi there,

I created a Request for comments[1] and a corresponding Phabricator
Task[2] regarding a feature that enables users to watch categories for
page additions and removals.

If you are interested in this topic or somehow involved in
Extension:Echo or watchlist features, feel free to participate in the
discussion.

Cheers,
Kai

[1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Watch_Categorylinks
[2]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T94414

--
Kai Nissen
Software-Entwickler

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: [RfC] Feature to watch categorylinks

Aran Dunkley
The the CategoryWatch extension was created a few years ago for this,
but hasn't been updated in a long time so may need some minor fixes by now.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryWatch

On 30/03/15 12:40, Kai Nissen wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I created a Request for comments[1] and a corresponding Phabricator
> Task[2] regarding a feature that enables users to watch categories for
> page additions and removals.
>
> If you are interested in this topic or somehow involved in
> Extension:Echo or watchlist features, feel free to participate in the
> discussion.
>
> Cheers,
> Kai
>

> [1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Watch_Categorylinks
> [2]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T94414

Re: [RfC] Feature to watch categorylinks

Kai Nissen
I already noticed the extension, but decided not to enhance it.

As you already said, it hasn't been touched in a long time. In fact,
there are some minor issues in the code that would need to be fixed.

Apart from that, it's using a different hook (OnArticleSave) and a diff
mechanism to determine the added/removed categories. It's also sending
notification mails on its own instead of using Extension:Echo or the job
queue.

The feature for having personal categories (Category:Automatically
watched by USER_NAME) seems quite useful for custom mediawiki
installations, but shouldn't be available in Wikimedia projects.

If we went ahead and changed all this, there wouldn't be much left of
what it was. The extension would also depend on Echo, so people who are
using it in their own mediawiki installations would need to install Echo
in order to be able to upgrade.

Cheers,
Kai

Am 30.03.2015 um 19:05 schrieb Aran:

> The the CategoryWatch extension was created a few years ago for this,
> but hasn't been updated in a long time so may need some minor fixes by now.
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryWatch
>
> On 30/03/15 12:40, Kai Nissen wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I created a Request for comments[1] and a corresponding Phabricator
>> Task[2] regarding a feature that enables users to watch categories for
>> page additions and removals.
>>
>> If you are interested in this topic or somehow involved in
>> Extension:Echo or watchlist features, feel free to participate in the
>> discussion.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kai
>>

>> [1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Watch_Categorylinks
>> [2]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T94414

Kai Nissen
Software-Entwickler

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: [RfC] Feature to watch categorylinks

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Would it be possible to trigger a function that might add statements to the
items for the articles involved ?
Thanks,
     GerardM