Rhaeto-Romanic (and other) translations

Michael Bimmler
An offer for a Rhaeto-Romanic translation (by mail to list-owner) was
made by Anita Decurtins-Capaul, a student of romance languages and
literature (and else) at University Zurich, to translate the Wikimedia
CH bylaws into Rumantsch Grischun. She has already translated an
Asterix-comic into Rumantsch Grischun (mentioned as reference).
Matters that need to be discussed include salary and time-frame,
however I do not think that rumantsch-translation ultimatively needs
to be present prior to foundation. Comments on the offer are
appreciated.
Regards
Michael

By the way: Is there any update on en-translations (Manuel, were you
able to ask your friend?) and french translations (Emanuel?)

--
An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Rhaeto-Romanic (and other) translations

Ilario Valdelli
IMHO the romanic translation could be made if we have a "definitive"
bylaw, approved and voted definitevly by the board.

Ilario

On 2/3/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> An offer for a Rhaeto-Romanic translation (by mail to list-owner) was
> made by Anita Decurtins-Capaul, a student of romance languages and
> literature (and else) at University Zurich, to translate the Wikimedia
> CH bylaws into Rumantsch Grischun. She has already translated an
> Asterix-comic into Rumantsch Grischun (mentioned as reference).
> Matters that need to be discussed include salary and time-frame,
> however I do not think that rumantsch-translation ultimatively needs
> to be present prior to foundation. Comments on the offer are
> appreciated.
> Regards
> Michael
>
> By the way: Is there any update on en-translations (Manuel, were you
> able to ask your friend?) and french translations (Emanuel?)
>
> --
> An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Rhaeto-Romanic (and other) translations

Patrick Kenel

I think, we would all appreciate a translation into Rhaetoromansh, because size doesn't matter. However, I'm quite surprised that this student is considering a salary when participation at the Wikimedia projects is explicitely voluntary (mentioned in the bylaws). She could use the bylaws translation as a further reference for her future jobs but we won't offer her a payed job.

Maybe we have to make an exception concerning the English translation of our bylaws when they need to be completed in due time to become accepted by the board. Unfortunately, we don't have an expert for juridicial English in our rows. I'd love to translate something into English but this text is too much and probably too difficult. Anyhow, I've already worked on the Italian translation.

Patrick

From:  Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]>
Subject:  Re: [Wikimediach-l] Rhaeto-Romanic (and other) translations
Date:  Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:15:11 +0100

2006/2/3, Patrick Kenel <[hidden email]>:

> I think, we would all appreciate a translation into Rhaetoromansh, because
> size doesn't matter. However, I'm quite surprised that this student is
> considering a salary when participation at the Wikimedia projects is
> explicitely voluntary (mentioned in the bylaws). She could use the bylaws
> translation as a further reference for her future jobs but we won't offer
> her a payed job.

This might be a mistake of mine. In her original email, she did not
directly mention a salary, she just wrote "ch freue mich darauf, von
Ihnen zu hören und in einem persönlichen
Gespräch weitere Details zu meiner Person und meinen Qualifikationen zu
erörtern." I interpreted this also as "discussions about salary" but I
may be wrong here.
So don't blame her for this!

Regards
Michael

> Maybe we have to make an exception concerning the English translation of our
> bylaws when they need to be completed in due time to become accepted by the
> board. Unfortunately, we don't have an expert for juridicial English in our
> rows. I'd love to translate something into English but this text is too much
> and probably too difficult. Anyhow, I've already worked on the Italian
> translation.
>
> Patrick

> >IMHO the romanic translation could be made if we have a "definitive"
> >bylaw, approved and voted definitevly by the board.
> >
> >Ilario
> >
> >On 2/3/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > An offer for a Rhaeto-Romanic translation (by mail to list-owner) was
> > > made by Anita Decurtins-Capaul, a student of romance languages and
> > > literature (and else) at University Zurich, to translate the Wikimedia
> > > CH bylaws into Rumantsch Grischun. She has already translated an
> > > Asterix-comic into Rumantsch Grischun (mentioned as reference).
> > > Matters that need to be discussed include salary and time-frame,
> > > however I do not think that rumantsch-translation ultimatively needs
> > > to be present prior to foundation. Comments on the offer are
> > > appreciated.
> > > Regards
> > > Michael
> > >
> > > By the way: Is there any update on en-translations (Manuel, were you
> > > able to ask your friend?) and french translations (Emanuel?)
> > >
> > > --
> > > An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

RE: Rhaeto-Romanic (and other) translations

Thomas Candrian
If desired I can make the translation into Romance, but I'm not able to do that in the "official" Rumantsch Grischun but only in "Sursilvan" dialect. It should not be a problem to understand it in the other 4 dialects because they are quite similar. This only in case she really wants a sallary. Of course she can do a better translation than me!

Regard
Thomas

2006/2/3, Patrick Kenel <[hidden email]>:

> I think, we would all appreciate a translation into Rhaetoromansh,
> because size doesn't matter. However, I'm quite surprised that this
> student is considering a salary when participation at the Wikimedia
> projects is explicitely voluntary (mentioned in the bylaws). She could
> use the bylaws translation as a further reference for her future jobs
> but we won't offer her a payed job.

This might be a mistake of mine. In her original email, she did not directly mention a salary, she just wrote "ch freue mich darauf, von Ihnen zu hören und in einem persönlichen Gespräch weitere Details zu meiner Person und meinen Qualifikationen zu erörtern." I interpreted this also as "discussions about salary" but I may be wrong here.
So don't blame her for this!

Regards
Michael

> Maybe we have to make an exception concerning the English translation
> of our bylaws when they need to be completed in due time to become
> accepted by the board. Unfortunately, we don't have an expert for
> juridicial English in our rows. I'd love to translate something into
> English but this text is too much and probably too difficult. Anyhow,
> I've already worked on the Italian translation.
>
> Patrick

> <[hidden email]>
> Subject:  Re: [Wikimediach-l] Rhaeto-Romanic (and other) translations
> Date:  Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:15:11 +0100
>
> >IMHO the romanic translation could be made if we have a "definitive"
> >bylaw, approved and voted definitevly by the board.
> >
> >Ilario
> >
> >On 2/3/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > An offer for a Rhaeto-Romanic translation (by mail to list-owner)
> > > was made by Anita Decurtins-Capaul, a student of romance languages
> > > and literature (and else) at University Zurich, to translate the
> > > Wikimedia CH bylaws into Rumantsch Grischun. She has already
> > > translated an Asterix-comic into Rumantsch Grischun (mentioned as reference).
> > > Matters that need to be discussed include salary and time-frame,
> > > however I do not think that rumantsch-translation ultimatively
> > > needs to be present prior to foundation. Comments on the offer are
> > > appreciated.
> > > Regards
> > > Michael
> > >
> > > By the way: Is there any update on en-translations (Manuel, were
> > > you able to ask your friend?) and french translations (Emanuel?)
> > >
> > > --
> > > An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Rhaeto-Romanic (and other) translations

Michael Bimmler
Thanks Thomas for your offer. In this case, we would now appreciate if
Anita Decurtins could tell us whether she expects a salary and if yes
at which level.
Regards
Michael
2006/2/4, Thomas Candrian <[hidden email]>:

> If desired I can make the translation into Romance, but I'm not able to do that in the "official" Rumantsch Grischun but only in "Sursilvan" dialect. It should not be a problem to understand it in the other 4 dialects because they are quite similar. This only in case she really wants a sallary. Of course she can do a better translation than me!
>
> Regard
> Thomas

Manuel Schneider-2

> By the way: Is there any update on en-translations (Manuel, were you
> able to ask your friend?) and french translations (Emanuel?)
right now I got my friend on the phone. She had been ill for several days and
was a week abroad for holidays, so she got just one page ready (of five), but
she is working on it. Maybe we can expect the result in two or three weeks.

She says it's quite hard stuff, she lives in Germany now for several years and
had never to do with statutes in Canada before, so she doubts that her
translation uses all the "professional" and legal terms, so she will give her
translation to another friend of her which is at Canada and will proof-read
it before we get it.

Greets,

Manuel
Master's SYSTEMS Webhosting & Webdesign
Im Wolfischbühl 26
79585 Steinen

Manuel Schneider

Tel: +49 7627 924327
Fax: +49 7627 924328

[hidden email]
http://www.masterssystems.de

Re: Rhaeto-Romanic (and other) translations

Michael Bimmler
Thanks for your update.
Regards
Michael
2006/2/4, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> > By the way: Is there any update on en-translations (Manuel, were you
> > able to ask your friend?) and french translations (Emanuel?)
> right now I got my friend on the phone. She had been ill for several days and
> was a week abroad for holidays, so she got just one page ready (of five), but
> she is working on it. Maybe we can expect the result in two or three weeks.
>
> She says it's quite hard stuff, she lives in Germany now for several years and
> had never to do with statutes in Canada before, so she doubts that her
> translation uses all the "professional" and legal terms, so she will give her
> translation to another friend of her which is at Canada and will proof-read
> it before we get it.
>
> Greets,
>

> Manuel
> Master's SYSTEMS Webhosting & Webdesign
> Im Wolfischbühl 26
> 79585 Steinen
>
> Manuel Schneider
>
> Tel: +49 7627 924327
> Fax: +49 7627 924328
>
> [hidden email]
> http://www.masterssystems.de

An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Rhaeto-Romanic (and other) translations

Emanuel Clapasson
Hallo!

Ich muss mich entschuldigen, aber leider klappte es nicht mit der Übersetzung.
Leider konnte es Frau Mittermayer bis heute aus Zeitgründen nicht erledigen.
Ich hätte es euch wirklich gerne abgegeben, aber leider klappte es nicht.
Ich habe extra noch etwas länger gewartet, damit es vielleicht doch noch
reicht.

Nochmals sorry.

Greets, Emanuel

On 3/8/06, Emanuel Clapasson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> Ich muss mich entschuldigen, aber leider klappte es nicht mit der Übersetzung.
> Leider konnte es Frau Mittermayer bis heute aus Zeitgründen nicht erledigen.
> Ich hätte es euch wirklich gerne abgegeben, aber leider klappte es nicht.
> Ich habe extra noch etwas länger gewartet, damit es vielleicht doch noch
> reicht.

Kein Problem. Ich denke, wenn der Verein einmal gegründet ist, werden
wir sicher Wege finden, um die Statuten auf F. übersetzen zu lassen.
Trotzdem Danke für deinen Einsatz.
> Nochmals sorry.

Gruss
Michael