Roadmap for continued compatibility with MySQL

Roadmap for continued compatibility with MySQL

Hogan (US), Michael C
How many years into the future is it reasonable to expect that MySQL will remain a recommended database server for "production use" along with MariaDB now that the Foundation has switched to using MariaDB internally? I know that MariaDB claims to be drop in compatible with MySQL, but the list of variances seems to be slowly growing. References...
* Compatibility - [[mw:Compatibility]]
* MariaDB support? - [[mw:Topic:R1hqki3kaytylml4]]
* https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/

Other than [[mw:Compatibility]] on mediawiki.org is there anywhere else (wiki pages, Phabricator tasks/tags, etc.) that I should check for technical roadmap information before emailing wikitech-l?

Thank you!
Michael

Re: Roadmap for continued compatibility with MySQL

Max Semenik
We have no plans of dropping support at the moment, though we had some
discussions about raising the minimum required versions (which are
ridiculously low at the moment).

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Hogan, Michael C <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> How many years into the future is it reasonable to expect that MySQL will
> remain a recommended database server for "production use" along with
> MariaDB now that the Foundation has switched to using MariaDB internally? I
> know that MariaDB claims to be drop in compatible with MySQL, but the list
> of variances seems to be slowly growing. References...
> * Compatibility - [[mw:Compatibility]]
> * MariaDB support? - [[mw:Topic:R1hqki3kaytylml4]]
> * https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/
>
> Other than [[mw:Compatibility]] on mediawiki.org is there anywhere else
> (wiki pages, Phabricator tasks/tags, etc.) that I should check for
> technical roadmap information before emailing wikitech-l?
>

> Thank you!
> Michael

Best regards,
Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: Roadmap for continued compatibility with MySQL

Brian Wolff
On Thursday, October 19, 2017, Hogan, Michael C <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> How many years into the future is it reasonable to expect that MySQL will
remain a recommended database server for "production use" along with
MariaDB now that the Foundation has switched to using MariaDB internally? I
know that MariaDB claims to be drop in compatible with MySQL, but the list
of variances seems to be slowly growing. References...
> * Compatibility - [[mw:Compatibility]]
> * MariaDB support? - [[mw:Topic:R1hqki3kaytylml4]]
> * https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/
>
> Other than [[mw:Compatibility]] on mediawiki.org is there anywhere else
(wiki pages, Phabricator tasks/tags, etc.) that I should check for
technical roadmap information before emailing wikitech-l?

> Thank you!
> Michael

Mediawiki usually doesnt use new exotic db features. I would be shocked if
we dropped support for mysql at any point in the forseeable future unless
mysql becomes totally abandoned.

--
brian

Re: Roadmap for continued compatibility with MySQL

Jaime Crespo
> How many years into the future is it reasonable to expect that MySQL will
remain a recommended database server for "production use" along with
MariaDB now that the Foundation has switched to using MariaDB internally

Given a migration back to MySQL is not out of the table for us WMF DBAs,
and I will complain if we drop compatibility; I would say both MariaDB and
MySQL will probably be supported for as long as the databases are or even
more- we just "upgraded" the requirements from 5.0 to 5.5 for newer mw
versions.

> but the list of variances seems to be slowly growing

That is annoying, and even more worrying to me is MariaDB roadmap about
free software/lock-in: https://mariadb.com/bsl-faq-mariadb
https://mariadb.com/projects-using-bsl-11

> is there anywhere else (wiki pages, Phabricator tasks/tags, etc.) that I
should check for technical roadmap information before emailing wikitech-l?

If you are in charge of a mediawiki installation and want to know the
ops/db maintenance side of things, get in contact with me on phabricator; I
would be glad to share experiences.

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 3:41 AM, Hogan, Michael C <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> How many years into the future is it reasonable to expect that MySQL will
> remain a recommended database server for "production use" along with
> MariaDB now that the Foundation has switched to using MariaDB internally? I
> know that MariaDB claims to be drop in compatible with MySQL, but the list
> of variances seems to be slowly growing. References...
> * Compatibility - [[mw:Compatibility]]
> * MariaDB support? - [[mw:Topic:R1hqki3kaytylml4]]
> * https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/
>
> Other than [[mw:Compatibility]] on mediawiki.org is there anywhere else
> (wiki pages, Phabricator tasks/tags, etc.) that I should check for
> technical roadmap information before emailing wikitech-l?
>

> Thank you!
> Michael

Jaime Crespo
<http://wikimedia.org>