Royal Society archives online until December

Royal Society archives online until December

David Gerard-2
http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/index.cfm?page=1373

Everything back to 1665. Really quite a lot of which is public domain.
Get downloading.

- d.

Re: Royal Society archives online until December

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
David Gerard wrote:
> http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/index.cfm?page=1373
>
> Everything back to 1665. Really quite a lot of which is public domain.
> Get downloading.

Is there anywhere on Commons to upload this yet? If not, something along
the lines of:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Royal_Society_Journals

and then order them by which issue, which article, etc.

Re: Royal Society archives online until December

David Monniaux-2
Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:

>Is there anywhere on Commons to upload this yet? If not, something along
>the lines of:
>
>http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Royal_Society_Journals

You of course realize that mass downloads of journals may be construed
as a copy of a significant part of a database, which is protected by a
special copyright (much shorter than the regular one) under EU directives?

On 25/09/06, David Monniaux <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:

> >Is there anywhere on Commons to upload this yet? If not, something along
> >the lines of:
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Royal_Society_Journals

> You of course realize that mass downloads of journals may be construed
> as a copy of a significant part of a database, which is protected by a
> special copyright (much shorter than the regular one) under EU directives?

And the UK law implementing this is ...

David Monniaux says the Foundation should:
[ ] not download and save this stuff on commons without absolute legal clarity
[ ] say "such a restriction on hundreds of years old material is
odious" and do it anyway
[ ] something else

David Gerard wrote:

> On 25/09/06, David Monniaux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
>
>>> Is there anywhere on Commons to upload this yet? If not, something along
>>> the lines of:
>>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Royal_Society_Journals
>
>> You of course realize that mass downloads of journals may be construed
>> as a copy of a significant part of a database, which is protected by a
>> special copyright (much shorter than the regular one) under EU directives?
>

> And the UK law implementing this is ...
>
> David Monniaux says the Foundation should:
> [ ] not download and save this stuff on commons without absolute legal clarity
> [ ] say "such a restriction on hundreds of years old material is
> odious" and do it anyway
> [ ] something else

For my money

[x] say "such a restriction on hundreds of years old material is odious"
and do it anyway

but IANAL (and I'm not being paid to do this either). I might add that
downloading the stuff is a non-trivial process...

David Gerard wrote:

>And the UK law implementing this is ...

UK law is a confusing mess, I'll let our British friends search for it.

In France it is title IV of the Code of intellectual property, inserted
by law 98-536 taken in application of directive 96/9/CE of March 11, 1996:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31996L0009:EN:HTML

>David Monniaux says the Foundation should:

The Foundation, by itself, should do nothing. Individual users uploading
material take their responsibilities. The Foundation only provides hosting.

-- DM

Re: Royal Society archives online until December

Cary Bass
Why is everybody on my two mailing lists suddenly being IANAL?

Anyway... mass downloading images from a database recalls to my mind
something about fr.wikiquotes...

Cary Bass

David Gerard wrote:
> http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/index.cfm?page=1373
>
> Everything back to 1665. Really quite a lot of which is public domain.
> Get downloading.

They're also available on JSTOR, if you're at an educational institution.