Rumantsch Grischun - summary for non-german-speakers

Rumantsch Grischun - summary for non-german-speakers

Michael Bimmler
Hello,
just as a summary for the thread "Rumantsch Grischun" in German: Gion
has mentioned his intention to translate our bylaws into Rumantsch
Grischun and he will post them afterwards at [[Bylaws/Rm]]. By the
way, is there anybody who would translate the bylaws into French, as
Emanuel had to give back the "mandate"?

--
Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: Rumantsch Grischun - summary for non-german-speakers

Frédéric Schütz
Michael Bimmler wrote:

> By the way, is there anybody who would translate the bylaws into French,
 > as Emanuel had to give back the "mandate"?

I could do it, but only starting from the English version... it may not
be a good idea to translate from a translation, but it may be better
than nothing.

Frédéric

On 3/15/06, Frederic Schutz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Michael Bimmler wrote:
>
> > By the way, is there anybody who would translate the bylaws into French,
>  > as Emanuel had to give back the "mandate"?
>
> I could do it, but only starting from the English version... it may not
> be a good idea to translate from a translation, but it may be better
> than nothing.

Definitely! Actually, we also consider the English version to be
correct, however if there are confusions, you could ask here and
somebody could doublecheck with the german original.
Thanks for the offer!
> Frédéric

Michael

Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: Rumantsch Grischun - summary for non-german-speakers

Ilario Valdelli
IMHO there is no problem. The master document should be the english
version because it is the document approved by international board.

I think that if there are differences between the german and the
english version the correct version should be the english one.

Frederic, if you need some help i the translation you can ask to me.

Regards

Ilario

On 3/15/06, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> IMHO there is no problem. The master document should be the english
> version because it is the document approved by international board.
>
> I think that if there are differences between the german and the
> english version the correct version should be the english one.

We can do this like this, but then we need to once more carefully scan
the english version because it should definitely say the same as the
original (to avoid errors due to translation). Because the german one
is the one approved at Zurich-meeting.
> Frederic, if you need some help i the translation you can ask to me.
>
> Regards

Regards
Michael

Ilario Valdelli wrote:
> IMHO there is no problem. The master document should be the english
> version because it is the document approved by international board.

I have a first question. Article 1 says

"The association will be named "Wikimedia CH" – Verein zur Förderung
Freien Wissens (Wikimedia CH – Association for the advancement of free
knowledge)".

What is the _formal_ name ? It it only "Wikimedia CH" (as indicated by
the quotes), and which would look like the correct name to me (language
neutral) ? In this case, the following text is descriptive and we should
probably put the English version first.

Related question: any objection if I replace all occurences of "Verein"
by "Association" in the text ? There is no point having a German word in
the text when there is a corresponding English word.

> Frederic, if you need some help i the translation you can ask to me.

I should be ok, starting from the English version, but it would be good
to have someone to compare the French and German versions afterwards to
look for inconsistencies.

Frédéric

Re: Rumantsch Grischun - summary for non-german-speakers

Michael Bimmler
On 3/15/06, Frederic Schutz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ilario Valdelli wrote:
> > IMHO there is no problem. The master document should be the english
> > version because it is the document approved by international board.
>
> I have a first question. Article 1 says
>
> "The association will be named "Wikimedia CH" – Verein zur Förderung
> Freien Wissens (Wikimedia CH – Association for the advancement of free
> knowledge)".
>
> What is the _formal_ name ? It it only "Wikimedia CH" (as indicated by
> the quotes), and which would look like the correct name to me (language
> neutral) ? In this case, the following text is descriptive and we should
> probably put the English version first.

formal name = Wikimedia CH, I would say
> Related question: any objection if I replace all occurences of "Verein"
> by "Association" in the text ? There is no point having a German word in
> the text when there is a corresponding English word.

Right.

> > Frederic, if you need some help i the translation you can ask to me.
>
> I should be ok, starting from the English version, but it would be good
> to have someone to compare the French and German versions afterwards to
> look for inconsistencies.
>
> Frédéric

Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: Rumantsch Grischun - summary for non-german-speakers

Ilario Valdelli
Ok, it's very complicated :(

I will ask to a translation center (I have some friends) to have a
look to the translations made by ourselves. I can have this
verification without costs for Wikimedia CH.

Almost this (informal) verification could arrange a lists of
"ambiguities" before the Wikimedia CH kich-off.

Ilario