Quantcast

RuntimeException due to read-only when upgrading SMW

RuntimeException due to read-only when upgrading SMW

Justin Lloyd-2
Hi all,

I am trying to upgrade SMW from 1.8.0.5 to 1.9.2 (at the same time I'm
upgrading MW from 1.20.8 to 1.23.1). I first run the update.php script and
then the refreshData.php script with -f, -d 50, and -v flags. However,
after about 30 seconds of processing, it errors out like so:
https://gist.github.com/Calygos/a9ae5e63d151796ef570

The database server setup, which is how it's been since I created the wiki,
is a standard MySQL master-replica pair with $wgDBservers listing the
master first with load = 0 and the replica second with load = 1.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: RuntimeException due to read-only when upgrading SMW

Justin Lloyd-2
By request, I changed acquireReadConnection to acquireWriteConnection on
line 208 of SMW/src/MediaWiki/Database.php and re-tried the test. It still
failed but in a different way, though I tried re-running the MW update.php
and SMW rebuildData.php multiple times, just in case. The full output
is in this
gist <https://gist.github.com/Calygos/a7d7c59ae8c0356ef11c> but note that
even though it complains that a table is missing, I verified that it does
exist and that connecting to the database replica from the wiki web server
using the wiki user credentials does work and shows all expected tables.

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Justin Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to upgrade SMW from 1.8.0.5 to 1.9.2 (at the same time I'm
> upgrading MW from 1.20.8 to 1.23.1). I first run the update.php script and
> then the refreshData.php script with -f, -d 50, and -v flags. However,
> after about 30 seconds of processing, it errors out like so:
> https://gist.github.com/Calygos/a9ae5e63d151796ef570
>
> The database server setup, which is how it's been since I created the
> wiki, is a standard MySQL master-replica pair with $wgDBservers listing the
> master first with load = 0 and the replica second with load = 1.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: RuntimeException due to read-only when upgrading SMW

Justin Lloyd-2
So far changing the one occurrence of acquireReadConnection to
acquireWriteConnection has not resolved the problem. Instead, I now get an
error <https://gist.github.com/Calygos/6ad81be82932c4b4dddb> that the t6
table doesn't exist on the replica. However, I'm not sure if this is a
replication problem or if additional changes would need to be made in
SMW/src/MediaWiki/Database.php to align with writing to the master instead
of the replica. Does anyone have any further thoughts or suggestions on
this?

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Justin Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> By request, I changed acquireReadConnection to acquireWriteConnection on
> line 208 of SMW/src/MediaWiki/Database.php and re-tried the test. It still
> failed but in a different way, though I tried re-running the MW update.php
> and SMW rebuildData.php multiple times, just in case. The full output is in this
> gist <https://gist.github.com/Calygos/a7d7c59ae8c0356ef11c> but note that
> even though it complains that a table is missing, I verified that it does
> exist and that connecting to the database replica from the wiki web server
> using the wiki user credentials does work and shows all expected tables.
>

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Justin Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to upgrade SMW from 1.8.0.5 to 1.9.2 (at the same time I'm
>> upgrading MW from 1.20.8 to 1.23.1). I first run the update.php script and
>> then the refreshData.php script with -f, -d 50, and -v flags. However,
>> after about 30 seconds of processing, it errors out like so:
>> https://gist.github.com/Calygos/a9ae5e63d151796ef570
>>
>> The database server setup, which is how it's been since I created the
>> wiki, is a standard MySQL master-replica pair with $wgDBservers listing the
>> master first with load = 0 and the replica second with load = 1.
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: RuntimeException due to read-only when upgrading SMW

Justin Lloyd-2
Hi again,

I'm still having trouble with upgrading SMW. Here
<http://wikimedia.7.x6.nabble.com/RuntimeException-due-to-read-only-when-upgrading-SMW-td5032521.html.>
is the original message I posted with a couple of replies to private

To recap: I've been running MW 1.20.8 and on my test environment I've now
upgraded to 1.23.2, along with updating all of the extensions we use.
Initially, though I did not upgrade SMW, leaving it at 1.8.0.5 (along with
SRF, Maps, etc.). Then I upgraded SMW to 1.9.2 (upgrading related
extensions as well) using Composer and then re-ran the MW update script
followed by the SMW_refreshData.php script (with -d 50 -v, per the SMW
upgrade docs). That leads again to the read-only error in the gist linked
in the original email below. So I've now tried upgrading to SMW 2.0 for
various reasons but since it does appear to incorporate the suggested
change to SMW's Database.php. However, the refresh still breaks, referring
to a missing t6 table, as shown in this gist
<https://gist.github.com/Calygos/325e3f050b1bb22b2cec>.

This is almost certainly all replication issues but I am not sure why I'm
having such trouble with a replication configured I've used for over two
years now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and let me know
what further information could help troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks,
Justin

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Justin Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to upgrade SMW from 1.8.0.5 to 1.9.2 (at the same time I'm
> upgrading MW from 1.20.8 to 1.23.1). I first run the update.php script and
> then the refreshData.php script with -f, -d 50, and -v flags. However,
> after about 30 seconds of processing, it errors out like so:
> https://gist.github.com/Calygos/a9ae5e63d151796ef570
>
> The database server setup, which is how it's been since I created the
> wiki, is a standard MySQL master-replica pair with $wgDBservers listing the
> master first with load = 0 and the replica second with load = 1.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: RuntimeException due to read-only when upgrading SMW

James HK
Hi,

> change to SMW's Database.php. However, the refresh still breaks, referring
> to a missing t6 table, as shown in this gist

For some queries, SMW creates so called temporary tables to cache
pre-computed results (mainly for hierarchies, property chains etc.).
The 'en_wikidb_gw2.t6' is such temporary table and the question
remains as to why the table [0] is not reachable by the time the query
request is executed.

[0] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/blob/master/includes/storage/SQLStore/SMW_SQLStore3_Queries.php#L977

Cheers

On 8/21/14, Justin Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I'm still having trouble with upgrading SMW. Here
> <http://wikimedia.7.x6.nabble.com/RuntimeException-due-to-read-only-when-upgrading-SMW-td5032521.html.>
> is the original message I posted with a couple of replies to private
>
> To recap: I've been running MW 1.20.8 and on my test environment I've now
> upgraded to 1.23.2, along with updating all of the extensions we use.
> Initially, though I did not upgrade SMW, leaving it at 1.8.0.5 (along with
> SRF, Maps, etc.). Then I upgraded SMW to 1.9.2 (upgrading related
> extensions as well) using Composer and then re-ran the MW update script
> followed by the SMW_refreshData.php script (with -d 50 -v, per the SMW
> upgrade docs). That leads again to the read-only error in the gist linked
> in the original email below. So I've now tried upgrading to SMW 2.0 for
> various reasons but since it does appear to incorporate the suggested
> change to SMW's Database.php. However, the refresh still breaks, referring
> to a missing t6 table, as shown in this gist
> <https://gist.github.com/Calygos/325e3f050b1bb22b2cec>.
>
> This is almost certainly all replication issues but I am not sure why I'm
> having such trouble with a replication configured I've used for over two
> years now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and let me know
> what further information could help troubleshoot this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Justin Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to upgrade SMW from 1.8.0.5 to 1.9.2 (at the same time I'm
>> upgrading MW from 1.20.8 to 1.23.1). I first run the update.php script
>> and
>> then the refreshData.php script with -f, -d 50, and -v flags. However,
>> after about 30 seconds of processing, it errors out like so:
>> https://gist.github.com/Calygos/a9ae5e63d151796ef570
>>
>> The database server setup, which is how it's been since I created the
>> wiki, is a standard MySQL master-replica pair with $wgDBservers listing
>> the
>> master first with load = 0 and the replica second with load = 1.
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: RuntimeException due to read-only when upgrading SMW

Justin Lloyd-2
Hi James,

Hmm. Looking at the code you linked, I see Q_DISJUNCTION which made me
think of some of the SMW variables I'd set up long ago by request of our
community:

$smwgUseCategoryHierarchy = false;
$smwgQSubcategoryDepth = 0;
$smwgQPropertyDepth = 10;
$smwgQFeatures = SMW_PROPERTY_QUERY | SMW_CATEGORY_QUERY |
SMW_CONCEPT_QUERY | SMW_NAMESPACE_QUERY | SMW_CONJUNCTION_QUERY |
SMW_DISJUNCTION_QUERY;
$smwgQConceptFeatures = SMW_ANY_QUERY & ~SMW_DISJUNCTION_QUERY &
~SMW_CONCEPT_QUERY;

Just a shot in the dark, but is there anything here that could be leading
to this issue?

Thanks
Justin

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 1:12 PM, James HK <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > Justin
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Justin Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I am trying to upgrade SMW from 1.8.0.5 to 1.9.2 (at the same time I'm
> >> upgrading MW from 1.20.8 to 1.23.1). I first run the update.php script
> >> and
> >> then the refreshData.php script with -f, -d 50, and -v flags. However,
> >> after about 30 seconds of processing, it errors out like so:
> >> https://gist.github.com/Calygos/a9ae5e63d151796ef570
> >>
> >> The database server setup, which is how it's been since I created the
> >> wiki, is a standard MySQL master-replica pair with $wgDBservers listing
> >> the
> >> master first with load = 0 and the replica second with load = 1.
> >>
> >> Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: RuntimeException due to read-only when upgrading SMW

`Q_DISJUNCTION` is not the only place, `getCreateTempIDTableSQL` is
the place that creates the temp table.

> Just a shot in the dark, but is there anything here that could be leading
> to this issue?

Not really, in a "normal setup" this works as expected.

> [...]

>> > linked
>> > in the original email below. So I've now tried upgrading to SMW 2.0 for
>> > various reasons but since it does appear to incorporate the suggested
>> > change to SMW's Database.php. However, the refresh still breaks,
>> referring
>> > to a missing t6 table, as shown in this gist
>> > <https://gist.github.com/Calygos/325e3f050b1bb22b2cec>.
>> >
>> > This is almost certainly all replication issues but I am not sure why
>> > I'm
>> > having such trouble with a replication configured I've used for over
>> > two
>> > years now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and let me know
>> > what further information could help troubleshoot this problem.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Justin

Re: RuntimeException due to read-only when upgrading SMW

Ok, I noticed by setting the MySQL long_query_time to zero on the master
and replica servers that the t6 table is being created and populated
(insert ignore into t6 (id) values ('0') on the master, which makes me
think that the temporary table is not being replicated, or not replicated
fast enough (the replica is doing nothing, so it's not busy or anything).

Looking back at my wiki server environment changelog, I did have a similar
problem 2 years ago when changing $smwgUseCategoryHierarchy from false to
true and changing $smwgQSubcategoryDepth from 0 to 10. I hit the read-only
issue and reverted those values, which got rid of the error.

At this point we're considering removing replication from the picture (it
really doesn't seem to buy much and just adds administrative complexity)
but I'm at a loss as to why this is an issue. Is anyone out there using
MySQL replication with SMW without an issue? I feel like this must be a
configuration issue or something on my part, but I'm baffled as to what it
could be.

Thanks,
Justin