[SF]'Add another' with tab or keyboard shortcut

[SF]'Add another' with tab or keyboard shortcut

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Hi,

Sorry for my complete lack of php knowledge!
I have a page with a multiple instance template that may occur on the page some dozens of times.
Then it is somewhat tedious for the user if he has to push the 'add another' button every time. Much easier would it be if the next instance appears automatically with a 'tab' from the last field, or with a keyboard shortcut.
Would one of these be easy to implement?

Thanks! Ad

Re: [SF]'Add another' with tab or keyboard shortcut

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Ad,

A keyboard shortcut, while interesting, probably couldn't be implemented
because there could be more than one multiple-instance template in a form.

What do you mean with the tab idea? Could you explain it in more detail?

-Yaron

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Ad Strack van Schijndel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for my complete lack of php knowledge!
> I have a page with a multiple instance template that may occur on the page
> some dozens of times.
> Then it is somewhat tedious for the user if he has to push the 'add
> another' button every time. Much easier would it be if the next instance
> appears automatically with a 'tab' from the last field, or with a keyboard
> shortcut.
> Would one of these be easy to implement?
>
> Thanks! Ad

Re: [SF]'Add another' with tab or keyboard shortcut

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Hi Yaron,
see below.

On 14 februari 2013, at 15:44, Yaron Koren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ad,
>
> A keyboard shortcut, while interesting, probably couldn't be implemented because there could be more than one multiple-instance template in a form.
With a parameter perhaps that issue could be solved. Although I would prefer the 'Tab key' solution.

> What do you mean with the tab idea? Could you explain it in more detail?
On one page dozens of entries like this have to be made. The easiest way to do that is to hit the Tab key and fill out a field and automatically get a next form when you hit the Tab key in the last field of the last form. Instead of having to hit the 'Add another' (Nog toevoegen in Duch) button.
Would that be possible? (I would love it!)

> -Yaron
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Ad Strack van Schijndel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for my complete lack of php knowledge!
> I have a page with a multiple instance template that may occur on the page some dozens of times.
> Then it is somewhat tedious for the user if he has to push the 'add another' button every time. Much easier would it be if the next instance appears automatically with a 'tab' from the last field, or with a keyboard shortcut.
> Would one of these be easy to implement?
>
> Thanks! Ad

Re: [SF]'Add another' with tab or keyboard shortcut

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Ad,

Well, the use of a tab as a keyboard shortcut sounds like a rather bad
idea, since tabs are already used for moving between form inputs. However,
the idea of having a keyboard shortcut that only works when you're inside a
particular template instance sounds interesting - it would take care of the
issue of having more than one multiple-instance template in a form, and it
could even be made to work "smarter" by adding an instance directly after
whatever instance the user is one, even if they're not on the last one.

All you would need is a shortcut that isn't currently used by anything in
the browser, or by MediaWiki. Ideally it would be a combination of
characters - Alt-T, maybe?

-Yaron

Re: [SF]'Add another' with tab or keyboard shortcut

thingles
Good discussion, and I would suggest considering this as a generic parameter for semantic forms. It would be a nice addition.

Press cmd-J to alternate:
{{{field|Name|input type=boolean|keycmd=J}}}

Press cmd-K to highlight text in field and ready to type:
{{{field|Name|keycmd=K}}}

Shortcut to save:
{{{standard input|save|keycmd=S}}}

Add another instance:
{{{for template|Foo|label=Foo|mutliple|add button text=Add more foo|keycmd=F}}}

This would have an issue with a keycmd parameter on a field of a mutliple instance form.

I could see really using a feature like this. Likely "keycmd" is too obscure of a name. Verbosity is fine, could be "keyboard shortcut". This would also be a big boon for accessibility.
Jamie Thingelstad
[hidden email]
mobile: 612-810-3699
find me on AIM Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

On 14 februari 2013, at 19:12, Yaron Koren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ad,
>
> Well, the use of a tab as a keyboard shortcut sounds like a rather bad idea, since tabs are already used for moving between form inputs.
It depends how you look at it. In this use case it 'feels' like entering data in a table when you hit the Tab key from cell to cell. And then it would be quite natural behavior when automatically a next 'row' is created when you hit tab key in the last cell of the last form.

> However, the idea of having a keyboard shortcut that only works when you're inside a particular template instance sounds interesting - it would take care of the issue of having more than one multiple-instance template in a form, and it could even be made to work "smarter" by adding an instance directly after whatever instance the user is one, even if they're not on the last one.
This sounds like a very good idea.

> All you would need is a shortcut that isn't currently used by anything in the browser, or by MediaWiki. Ideally it would be a combination of characters - Alt-T, maybe?
Fine with me!

> -Yaron

Re: [SF]'Add another' with tab or keyboard shortcut

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Jamie,

In general, I agree that it would be nice to make more use of keyboard
shortcuts. However, I have mixed opinions about the specific suggestions
here:

- There's actually already a keyboard shortcut for the "Save page" button
in a form - "Alt-Shift-s", which is the same shortcut as in the standard
edit page. There should probably be more documentation of this, though.

- In general, making keyboard shortcuts that are specific to a single input
of a single form sounds strange. I know it can make sense in some limited
circumstances - like if a single user is going to be using the same form
hundreds of times, and would benefit from shortcuts - but for most cases,
it seems unnecessary; and it just sounds odd in general. Do you know of
another web form, or a form in an application, where there are shortcuts
for specific inputs (other than basic functionality like the "save"
button)? Maybe just the fact that I've never seen it before makes me
skeptical about it.

-Yaron

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Jamie Thingelstad <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Good discussion, and I would suggest considering this as a generic
> parameter for semantic forms. It would be a nice addition.
>
> Press cmd-J to alternate:
> {{{field|Name|input type=boolean|keycmd=J}}}
>
> Press cmd-K to highlight text in field and ready to type:
> {{{field|Name|keycmd=K}}}
>
> Shortcut to save:
> {{{standard input|save|keycmd=S}}}
>
> Add another instance:
> {{{for template|Foo|label=Foo|mutliple|add button text=Add more
> foo|keycmd=F}}}
>

> *This would have an issue with a keycmd parameter on a field of a
> mutliple instance form.*
>
> I could see really using a feature like this. Likely "keycmd" is too
> obscure of a name. Verbosity is fine, could be "keyboard shortcut". This
> would also be a big boon for accessibility.
>  Jamie Thingelstad <http://www.thingelstad.com/>
> [hidden email]
> mobile: 612-810-3699
> find me on AIM Twitter <http://twitter.com/thingles> Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/thingles>
> LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jthingelstad>
>
> On Feb 14, 2013, at 12:12 PM, Yaron Koren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Ad,
>
> Well, the use of a tab as a keyboard shortcut sounds like a rather bad
> idea, since tabs are already used for moving between form inputs. However,
> the idea of having a keyboard shortcut that only works when you're inside a
> particular template instance sounds interesting - it would take care of the
> issue of having more than one multiple-instance template in a form, and it
> could even be made to work "smarter" by adding an instance directly after
> whatever instance the user is one, even if they're not on the last one.
>
> All you would need is a shortcut that isn't currently used by anything in
> the browser, or by MediaWiki. Ideally it would be a combination of
> characters - Alt-T, maybe?
>
> -Yaron

Re: [SF]'Add another' with tab or keyboard shortcut

Leonard Wallentin-2
However good these suggestions sound, I share Yaron's skepticism for two
reasons:

1. Usability. One of the first rules of usability is consistency: Don't
violate conventions, unless you have a very, very good reason to do so.

2. What I love with the SMW family of extensions is the versatility. It's
an infrastructure, that you can drive a lot of vehicles on. If you try to
make a versatile tool carter for too many very specific needs, you will
soon end up with a tool that is not really good for anything, and that
would be a pity. So please, let's keep SMW as clean as possible!

/Leo

2013/2/14 Yaron Koren <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> > idea, since tabs are already used for moving between form inputs.
> However,
> > the idea of having a keyboard shortcut that only works when you're
> inside a
> > particular template instance sounds interesting - it would take care of
> the
> > issue of having more than one multiple-instance template in a form, and
> it
> > could even be made to work "smarter" by adding an instance directly after
> > whatever instance the user is one, even if they're not on the last one.
> >
> > All you would need is a shortcut that isn't currently used by anything in
> > the browser, or by MediaWiki. Ideally it would be a combination of
> > characters - Alt-T, maybe?
> >
> > -Yaron

Re: [SF]'Add another' with tab or keyboard shortcut

In my opinion the suggestions add to the discussion how usability and consistency can be enhanced in Multiple Template forms.
Nobody wants to reduce usability or consistency.
What I love about SMW and SF is that the infrastructure doesn't provide thousands of parameters that enable you to create exactly the vehicle that you want. So indeed we should think things over first.
In this case however some additional features are needed to enable the usability and consistency that is wanted.

With this in mind I have another suggestion: when you use the tab key to move between input fields, checkboxes and radio buttons are skipped. Why is that? 'Consistent' behavior would be for the checkbox that the tab also visits the checkbox and that then the 'spacebar' can be used to trigger it. That would solve another one of Jamies issues.
When the focus is on the radio button the arrow left and right might move the focus and again the spacebar trigger the button.
I think these would add to usability as well as consistency.

Ad

On 15 februari 2013, at 10:43, Leonard Wallentin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> However,
>>> the idea of having a keyboard shortcut that only works when you're
>> inside a
>>> particular template instance sounds interesting - it would take care of
>> the
>>> issue of having more than one multiple-instance template in a form, and
>> it
>>> could even be made to work "smarter" by adding an instance directly after
>>> whatever instance the user is one, even if they're not on the last one.
>>>
>>> All you would need is a shortcut that isn't currently used by anything in
>>> the browser, or by MediaWiki. Ideally it would be a combination of
>>> characters - Alt-T, maybe?
>>>
>>> -Yaron

>> --
>> WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

Re: [SF]'Add another' with tab or keyboard shortcut

To your last note: if hitting the tab key skips over any form inputs,
that's a bug. The tabbing behavior is actually set within the Semantic
Forms code, so if it's not working somewhere, it just needs to be fixed.
Can you point me (off this mailing list is fine) to some form where the
tabbing isn't working correctly?

-Yaron

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Ad Strack van Schijndel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> another web form, or a form in an application, where there are shortcuts
> >> for specific inputs (other than basic functionality like the "save"
> >> button)? Maybe just the fact that I've never seen it before makes me
> >> skeptical about it.
> >>
> >> -Yaron
> >>
> >> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Jamie Thingelstad <
> [hidden email]

> This
> >> http://www.facebook.com/thingles>

> >> However,
> >> inside a
> >> the
> >> it
> after

> in

> >> --
> >> WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

Re: [SF]'Add another' with tab or keyboard shortcut

Now that you mention it no, I can't. I can think of some special use forms like that, but they very much fit the model of a back office system where someone interacts with the form hundreds of times a day. Like an order placement form or something. Not something that is general purpose.

So yeah, probably not a great idea. ;-)

Jamie