[SF] Embedded Special:RunQuery creates strange charaters

[SF] Embedded Special:RunQuery creates strange charaters

planetenxin
Hi,

embedded {{Special:RunQuery/Map_query}} creates strange characters like

UNIQ225794f6d43c6688-h-0--QINU

before headings or with {{#tree:}} parser function from
Extension:TreeAndMenu. I'd guess that there are also other cases where
this happens.

Example: http://scratchpad.referata.com/wiki/Test_TreeAndQuery

Any ideas?

/Alexander

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: [SF] Embedded Special:RunQuery creates strange charaters

Markus Krötzsch-2
Hi,

FWIW, these "strange characters" are placeholders that MediaWiki inserts
into the text instead of "special" content (such as <nowiki>, <math> and
other tag-based functions). MW inserts these markers early on in the
parsing process (in a phase called "stripping"), and most extension
parser functions will only get to see the markers and not the original
text. At the very end of parsing, MW will replace the markers with the
desired content ("unstripping"). Normally, you get to see the markers
when they have been stored accidentally in SMW. Another possible cause
is that extensions are using their own parsers internally in an
incomplete or buggy way (the markers left over by one parser instance
cannot be unstripped by another parser instance -- they are only
meaningful in the context of a single parsing process). This might occur
during embedding.

I hope this can get you started (since you post to the developer list, I
assume you want to dig into the code yourself to find out what's going
on; debugging interactions of many extensions can require some original
research).

Good luck,

Markus

On 08.10.2014 08:20, planetenxin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> embedded {{Special:RunQuery/Map_query}} creates strange characters like
>
> UNIQ225794f6d43c6688-h-0--QINU
>
> before headings or with {{#tree:}} parser function from
> Extension:TreeAndMenu. I'd guess that there are also other cases where
> this happens.
>
> Example: http://scratchpad.referata.com/wiki/Test_TreeAndQuery
>
> Any ideas?
>
> /Alexander

Re: [SF] Embedded Special:RunQuery creates strange charaters

planetenxin
I found another hint that may help debugging:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:NewPageCSS#Outputs_nonsense

Am 08.10.2014 08:20, schrieb planetenxin:

> Hi,
>
> embedded {{Special:RunQuery/Map_query}} creates strange characters like
>
> UNIQ225794f6d43c6688-h-0--QINU
>
> before headings or with {{#tree:}} parser function from
> Extension:TreeAndMenu. I'd guess that there are also other cases where
> this happens.
>
> Example: http://scratchpad.referata.com/wiki/Test_TreeAndQuery
>
> Any ideas?
>
> /Alexander

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: [SF] Embedded Special:RunQuery creates strange charaters

Yaron Koren-2
Hi,

Just to clarify, this is not related to the TreeAndMenu extension, which is not installed on Referata. Rather, the issue is that there was a change in the Semantic Forms code around (I think) six months ago, that changed the way forms were parsed - it improved some things, but had the unfortunate side effect of making Special:RunQuery not embeddable in most cases. Hopefully this issue can be resolved.

-Yaron