[SF] Is this possible with Autocomplete?

[SF] Is this possible with Autocomplete?

Michael Erdmann
Dear community,

I want to use autocomplete for a field of type page. Is there a way in
Semantic Forms (Input) to specify that autocomplete should not
''display'' the page names but instead a ''property value'' of those
pages. Of course, the ''page name must be stored'' by the form.

"Values from query" looks promising but would need to return pairs
instead of pages only. So instead of
     values from query= [[Category:Person]][[Lives In::USA]]
I would like to formulate sth. like
      values from query= [[Category:Person]][[Lives In::USA]]|?LastName
and have the last names displayed but the page-titles actually selected.

Is this possible OOTB or with sth. in SFI? As a last resort I must
probably write my own SFI for this!?

thx,
   michael

--
Dr. Michael Erdmann   |    [hidden email]    |   +49 151 6140 1790

DIQA Projektmanagement GmbH | Pfinztalstr 90 | 76227 Karlsruhe | Germany
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 715454 | USt-IdNr: DE283037270
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Erdmann, Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. Daniel Hansch

Re: [SF] Is this possible with Autocomplete?

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Michael,

That's an interesting question. (I had to look up "OOTB" - "out of the
box".) I think it's pretty rare to have this specific need, where you only
want the values for a property that come from a certain "domain". I assume
your actual need doesn't involve last names from the USA, but, sticking
with your example: why is this field restricted to this one domain? Are
there other forms, or other fields in this form, for the other countries?

If the form also contained a field for the user to first select the
country, then this might be doable using "values dependent on", depending
on your exact data structure.

You can accomplish this already with a hack: assuming the "LastName"
property is set via a template, you could have the template use #if to set
a 2nd property, called "LastName USA" or something, to that same value,
only if the person is from the US. How much of a hack this is depends in
part on how many different "domains" you need to query on.

-Yaron

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Michael Erdmann <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> I want to use autocomplete for a field of type page. Is there a way in
> Semantic Forms (Input) to specify that autocomplete should not
> ''display'' the page names but instead a ''property value'' of those
> pages. Of course, the ''page name must be stored'' by the form.
>
> "Values from query" looks promising but would need to return pairs
> instead of pages only. So instead of
>      values from query= [[Category:Person]][[Lives In::USA]]
> I would like to formulate sth. like
>       values from query= [[Category:Person]][[Lives In::USA]]|?LastName
> and have the last names displayed but the page-titles actually selected.
>
> Is this possible OOTB or with sth. in SFI? As a last resort I must
> probably write my own SFI for this!?
>
> thx,
>    michael
>

> --
> Dr. Michael Erdmann   |    [hidden email]    |   +49 151 6140 1790
>
> DIQA Projektmanagement GmbH | Pfinztalstr 90 | 76227 Karlsruhe | Germany
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 715454 | USt-IdNr: DE283037270
> Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Erdmann, Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. Daniel Hansch

> e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Re: [SF] Is this possible with Autocomplete?

Michael Erdmann
Thanks Yaron,

apparently that was not the answer I was hoping for, though. Your are
right that the USA/last name thing is just for illustrative purposes.

Assume that the page names are autogenerated person1, person2, etc. page
title like this will be useless for autocomplete, the last name
nevertheless is not. Using last name for generating the page titles will
essentially work. Since the last names can change (in my scenario) this
would lead to integrity problems later on. This means that your proposal
to use "values dependent on" will not work. There are no other links
between the current page and the person I want to link to.

Not sure I understand your second proposal. Do you suggest to define
additional properties and to use these properties in an #if clause of
the template? If so, this will not work, unfortunately, because I would
need an endless amount of new properties, one for each person.

To be honest that this requirement hast not shown up before. It should
be relevant for all links to pages with anonymous IDs as page titles.

Anyone else?
   michael

--
Dr. Michael Erdmann   |    [hidden email]    |   +49 151 6140 1790

DIQA Projektmanagement GmbH | Pfinztalstr 90 | 76227 Karlsruhe | Germany
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 715454 | USt-IdNr: DE283037270
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Erdmann, Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. Daniel Hansch

Re: [SF] Is this possible with Autocomplete?

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Michael,

Ah - autogenerated page names are something that SF could definitely
support better; what is really needed (I don't know if it would help in
your case) would be autocompletion, dropdowns, etc. where the user selects
the "display" value, but what shows up in the wikitext itself is the real
page name.

I forgot to mention one other option, which is to use "values from url" -
you just need to create a mini-API that takes in a "country" name, and
displays a list of "people" in the correct format. It's a little tough to
create, but it's easier than writing (and having to maintain) a new input
type.

I'm curious about what you said about one property "for each person",
though. For your example, does that mean that every person is from a
different country? If so, maybe you should make that value a default,
instead of an autocompletion? Or maybe the user shouldn't have to enter it
in the first place?

-Yaron

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Michael Erdmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Is this possible OOTB or with sth. in SFI? As a last resort I must
>> probably write my own SFI for this!?
>>
>> thx,
>>    michael
>>

> --
> Dr. Michael Erdmann   |    [hidden email]    |   +49 151 6140 1790
>
> DIQA Projektmanagement GmbH | Pfinztalstr 90 | 76227 Karlsruhe | Germany
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 715454 | USt-IdNr: DE283037270
> Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Erdmann, Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. Daniel Hansch
>
> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Re: [SF] Is this possible with Autocomplete?

planetenxin
Hi Michael, Yaron

yes, this would be a really nice feature.

Example: Issues with page names Issue0001, Issue0002,... and a property
subject. I'd like to see the subject and page name (e.g. "Things to do
(Issue0001)" in a dropdown but store only the page name...

So maybe it's not only adding parameters but also templates to "values
from query".

/Alexander

Am 09.10.2013 21:08, schrieb Michael Erdmann:

> Thanks Yaron,
>
> apparently that was not the answer I was hoping for, though. Your are
> right that the USA/last name thing is just for illustrative purposes.
>
> Assume that the page names are autogenerated person1, person2, etc. page
> title like this will be useless for autocomplete, the last name
> nevertheless is not. Using last name for generating the page titles will
> essentially work. Since the last names can change (in my scenario) this
> would lead to integrity problems later on. This means that your proposal
> to use "values dependent on" will not work. There are no other links
> between the current page and the person I want to link to.
>
> Not sure I understand your second proposal. Do you suggest to define
> additional properties and to use these properties in an #if clause of
> the template? If so, this will not work, unfortunately, because I would
> need an endless amount of new properties, one for each person.
>
> To be honest that this requirement hast not shown up before. It should
> be relevant for all links to pages with anonymous IDs as page titles.
>
> Anyone else?
>     michael

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

On 09.10.2013 21:48, Yaron Koren wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Ah - autogenerated page names are something that SF could definitely
> support better; what is really needed (I don't know if it would help
> in your case) would be autocompletion, dropdowns, etc. where the user
> selects the "display" value, but what shows up in the wikitext itself
> is the real page name.
Exactly that's what I intended to say. display value vs. selection
value. I think this is a generally useful feature.

> I forgot to mention one other option, which is to use "values from
> url" - you just need to create a mini-API that takes in a "country"
> name, and displays a list of "people" in the correct format. It's a
> little tough to create, but it's easier than writing (and having to
> maintain) a new input type.
I looked into this. But as I understood the main issues remains, there
is no distinction between display value and selection value, or this
there for "values from url?

> I'm curious about what you said about one property "for each person",
> though. For your example, does that mean that every person is from a
> different country? If so, maybe you should make that value a default,
> instead of an autocompletion? Or maybe the user shouldn't have to
> enter it in the first place?
The user does not enter USA at all. Sorry if this was confusing. Forget
about the example, your characterization of display vs. selection was
exactly what I meant.

thx,
  michael

--
Dr. Michael Erdmann   |    [hidden email]    |   +49 151 6140 1790

DIQA Projektmanagement GmbH | Pfinztalstr 90 | 76227 Karlsruhe | Germany
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 715454 | USt-IdNr: DE283037270
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Erdmann, Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. Daniel Hansch

Re: [SF] Is this possible with Autocomplete?

Yury Katkov
That's the feature we would love to have as well. It would be useful
in many use cases and as far as I know many html-inputs support this.

The simplest use case would be to have auto-generated pagenames marked
with property [[Name::]] . That would enable easy renaming for the
pages.
-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Michael Erdmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> I want to use autocomplete for a field of type page. Is there a way in
> Semantic Forms (Input) to specify that autocomplete should not
> ''display'' the page names but instead a ''property value'' of those
> pages. Of course, the ''page name must be stored'' by the form.
>
> "Values from query" looks promising but would need to return pairs
> instead of pages only. So instead of
>      values from query= [[Category:Person]][[Lives In::USA]]
> I would like to formulate sth. like
>       values from query= [[Category:Person]][[Lives In::USA]]|?LastName
> and have the last names displayed but the page-titles actually selected.
>
> Is this possible OOTB or with sth. in SFI? As a last resort I must
> probably write my own SFI for this!?
>
> thx,
>    michael
>

> --
> Dr. Michael Erdmann   |    [hidden email]    |   +49 151 6140 1790
>
> DIQA Projektmanagement GmbH | Pfinztalstr 90 | 76227 Karlsruhe | Germany
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 715454 | USt-IdNr: DE283037270
> Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Erdmann, Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. Daniel Hansch
>
> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Re: [SF] Is this possible with Autocomplete?

Yaron Koren-2
Ah, okay - now it all makes sense. And it's good to know that this would be
a popular feature. People have asked about such a thing for a while, but I
haven't really looked into it, though I have thought about how it could be
implemented. The best way I can think of to do it would be to have another
possible parameter for {{{field}}} tags, called something like "display
property=", that took in the name of a property (whether it was called
"Name", "LastName" or anything else) that holds the "display value" for
those pages.

I guess you would really have to, as Alexander describes it, show both the
display value and the page name to the user, if only to handle duplicate
values. "Bob (Person 261)" might look a lot less friendly than just "Bob",
but if you have three other Bobs, there's really no other choice.

I added this as an item to the "Planned features" section, here:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms/Known_bugs_and_planned_features#Planned_features

I don't know when I could look into this, but if someone else wants to try
their hand at coding it - and evidently help out a lot of people - please
let me know. I could certainly offer some advice, if needed, on the
programming part of it.

-Yaron

On 10.10.2013 04:03, Yaron Koren wrote:
> Ah, okay - now it all makes sense. And it's good to know that this
> would be a popular feature. People have asked about such a thing for a
> while, but I haven't really looked into it, though I have thought
> about how it could be implemented. The best way I can think of to do
> it would be to have another possible parameter for {{{field}}} tags,
> called something like "display property=", that took in the name of a
> property (whether it was called "Name", "LastName" or anything else)
> that holds the "display value" for those pages.
What if the new parameter would be display template=TEMPLATE which
points to a template that takes as single argument the value that would
be added to the form, e.g. the numbered page title and can return
anything it wants, e.g. via #show etc.

> I guess you would really have to, as Alexander describes it, show both
> the display value and the page name to the user, if only to handle
> duplicate values. "Bob (Person 261)" might look a lot less friendly
> than just "Bob", but if you have three other Bobs, there's really no
> other choice.
This is definitely correct in general but not necessarily; depends on
the context.

> I added this as an item to the "Planned features" section, here:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms/Known_bugs_and_planned_features#Planned_features
>
> I don't know when I could look into this, but if someone else wants to
> try their hand at coding it - and evidently help out a lot of people -
> please let me know. I could certainly offer some advice, if needed, on
> the programming part of it.
>
> -Yaron
thx,
   michael

Re: [SF] Is this possible with Autocomplete?

Cavila Contrafibularity
+ 1 !

My own use case concerns the use of citations. Something like "Johnson 1934" (the name of the page that holds bibliographic details about a publication by one Johnson in 1934) would not be immediately recognisable to the user of a form. One would want to know the full citation, or at least the authors/editors and title, so a "display value" would be a very useful thing to have. The problem remains that results retrieved through autocompletion, even remote completion, may not be comprehensive, but that's for another topic I guess.

Cav

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Michael Erdmann <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 10.10.2013 04:03, Yaron Koren wrote:
>
>> Ah, okay - now it all makes sense. And it's good to know that this would
>> be a popular feature. People have asked about such a thing for a while, but
>> I haven't really looked into it, though I have thought about how it could
>> be implemented. The best way I can think of to do it would be to have
>> another possible parameter for {{{field}}} tags, called something like
>> "display property=", that took in the name of a property (whether it was
>> called "Name", "LastName" or anything else) that holds the "display value"
>> for those pages.
>>
> What if the new parameter would be display template=TEMPLATE which points
> to a template that takes as single argument the value that would be added
> to the form, e.g. the numbered page title and can return anything it wants,
> e.g. via #show etc.

Functionally these two are the same, since - assuming the display property
can be set by a template - the property can be stored with all the same
text manipulations that the "display template" can do. The exception is
that a display template could also not display the original page name - I
don't know if that's ever a good idea, though.

One other argument in favor of a "display template" is that it could also
be for non-Page properties. Whether that would be useful is also something
I'm not sure of.

-Yaron

>  I guess you would really have to, as Alexander describes it, show both
>> the display value and the page name to the user, if only to handle
>> duplicate values. "Bob (Person 261)" might look a lot less friendly than
>> just "Bob", but if you have three other Bobs, there's really no other
>> choice.
>>
> This is definitely correct in general but not necessarily; depends on the
> context.
>

>> I added this as an item to the "Planned features" section, here:
>>
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/**wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms/**
>> Known_bugs_and_planned_**features#Planned_features<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms/Known_bugs_and_planned_features#Planned_features>
>>
>> I don't know when I could look into this, but if someone else wants to
>> try their hand at coding it - and evidently help out a lot of people -
>> please let me know. I could certainly offer some advice, if needed, on the
>> programming part of it.
>>
>> -Yaron
>>
> thx,
>   michael

Re: [SF] Is this possible with Autocomplete?

Tom Kronenburg

Perhaps a Total noob remark, but.. wouldn't it be possible to use the Semantic Title extension for this?

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SemanticTitle Or at least as the basis of programming this feature?

Met vriendelijke groet,
Tom Kronenburg

drs. T. Kronenburg

PBLQ | Voor een sterke publieke sector
Postbus 18607 | 2502 EP Den Haag | Van de Spiegelstraat 12 | 2518 ET Den Haag | T: 070 376 36 36 | F: 070 351 52 82 | M: 06 55 77 83 53 | I: www.pblq.nl

Deze email is afkomstig van PBLQ, ingeschreven in het handelsregister van de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 27190312 te Den Haag. De disclaimer vindt u op http://www.pblq.nl/disclaimer

Wilt u op de hoogte blijven van de activiteiten van PBLQ? Meld u aan voor de PBLQ nieuwsbrief via: http://www.pblq.nl/formulieren/nieuwsbrief

--
WikiWorks * MediaWiki Consulting * http://wikiworks.com
October Webinars: Code for Performance
Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most from the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and register > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60134071&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [SF] Is this possible with Autocomplete?

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Tom,

It would be possible, but it wouldn't be necessary, in my opinion - it
wouldn't make the coding of the feature significantly easier, and would add
a dependency.

(There's also the potential that you might want the displayed title on the
page to be different from the displayed text in the form.)

-Yaron

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Tom Kronenburg <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps a Total noob remark, but.. wouldn't it be possible to use the
> Semantic Title extension for this?
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SemanticTitle Or at least as the
> basis of programming this feature?
>
> Met vriendelijke groet,
> Tom Kronenburg
>

> drs. T. Kronenburg
>
> PBLQ | Voor een sterke publieke sector
> Postbus 18607 | 2502 EP Den Haag | Van de Spiegelstraat 12 | 2518 ET Den
> Haag | T: 070 376 36 36 | F: 070 351 52 82 | M: 06 55 77 83 53 | I:
> www.pblq.nl
>
> Deze email is afkomstig van PBLQ, ingeschreven in het handelsregister van
> de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 27190312 te Den Haag. De disclaimer
> vindt u op http://www.pblq.nl/disclaimer
>
> Wilt u op de hoogte blijven van de activiteiten van PBLQ? Meld u aan voor
> de PBLQ nieuwsbrief via: http://www.pblq.nl/formulieren/nieuwsbrief

Wow, Tom!

I didn't know about that extension! It addresses some of the problems
we face. But of course direct support in SF would be better
-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Tom Kronenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps a total noob remark, but.. wouldn't it be possible to use the Semantic Title extension for this?
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SemanticTitle
>
> Or at least as the basis of programming this feature?
>
> Met vriendelijke groet,
> Tom Kronenburg
>

> drs. T. Kronenburg
>
> Met vriendelijke groet,
> Tom Kronenburg

thingles
I didn't know about that extension either. Very cool. None of the wikis that WikiApiary monitor use it yet.

http://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Extension:SemanticTitle  {no page}

Jamie Thingelstad
[hidden email]
mobile: 612-810-3699
find me on AIM Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

On Oct 10, 2013, at 10:14 AM, Yury Katkov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow, Tom!
>
> I didn't know about that extension! It addresses some of the problems
> we face. But of course direct support in SF would be better
> -----
> Yury Katkov, WikiVote
>

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Tom Kronenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Perhaps a total noob remark, but.. wouldn't it be possible to use the Semantic Title extension for this?
>>
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SemanticTitle
>>
>> Or at least as the basis of programming this feature?
>>
>> Met vriendelijke groet,
>> Tom Kronenburg
>>

>> drs. T. Kronenburg
>>
>> Met vriendelijke groet,
>> Tom Kronenburg

_bump_ :-)

/Alexander

Am 10.10.2013 17:10, schrieb Yaron Koren:

> Hi Tom,
>
> It would be possible, but it wouldn't be necessary, in my opinion - it
> wouldn't make the coding of the feature significantly easier, and would add
> a dependency.
>
> (There's also the potential that you might want the displayed title on the
> page to be different from the displayed text in the form.)
>
> -Yaron
>

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Tom Kronenburg<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Perhaps a Total noob remark, but.. wouldn't it be possible to use the
>> Semantic Title extension for this?
>>
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SemanticTitle Or at least as the
>> basis of programming this feature?
>>
>> Met vriendelijke groet,
>> Tom Kronenburg
>>

>> drs. T. Kronenburg
>>
>> PBLQ | Voor een sterke publieke sector
>> Postbus 18607 | 2502 EP Den Haag | Van de Spiegelstraat 12 | 2518 ET Den
>> Haag | T: 070 376 36 36 | F: 070 351 52 82 | M: 06 55 77 83 53 | I:
>> www.pblq.nl
>>
>> Deze email is afkomstig van PBLQ, ingeschreven in het handelsregister van
>> de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 27190312 te Den Haag. De disclaimer
>> vindt u op http://www.pblq.nl/disclaimer
>>
>> Wilt u op de hoogte blijven van de activiteiten van PBLQ? Meld u aan voor
>> de PBLQ nieuwsbrief via: http://www.pblq.nl/formulieren/nieuwsbrief

Erwin Oord
We have solved this problem in one of our wiki's by setting a display
property in the source page, and using that property in the
autocompleted field.

The wiki is about projects. Each project has a unique code (which is
also the page title), a customer and a project name. Since both the
customer and the name are not unique, they are not suitable for use in
a field. The code is unique,  but is meaningless and thus not suitable
too. We made each project have an additional property of type string
populated automatically (in template:project) with "code - customer -
name". This is property is both unique and meaningful and thus
suitable for autocompleting a field "is assigned to project" that
refers to a project.

-Erwin