[SF] Version 2.8: New "tokens" input type, "combobox" changed, etc.

[SF] Version 2.8: New "tokens" input type, "combobox" changed, etc.

Yaron Koren-2
Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce that version 2.8 of Semantic Forms has been
released. It has been seven months since the last release (version 2.7), so
this one was well overdue. Changes and additions in this version include:

- The "tokens" input type was added, and it is now the default input type
for fields that hold a list of values of type "Page". I basically came up
with the name "tokens", since this input type doesn't have a strong name
yet (some people all it "tags"), but it's an input type that has become
increasingly prevalent on the web in the last few years, where each value
that has been entered gets put into its own box. You can see it in the
Gmail "To:" line if you compose an email there, among other places. This is
a big deal for Semantic Forms because it presents a cleaner way of doing
autocompletion on multiple values, making it more obvious to the user what
the breakdown of values is, and how to add another one. Thanks to Jatin
Mehta for this addition; it was done as part of his recently-completed (and
successful) Google Summer of Code project for Semantic Forms.

- The "combobox" input type was changed to use the Select2 JavaScript
library, instead of jQuery UI as it was doing before. This new "combobox"
has a nicer look, a slicker UI (in my opinion), and makes it easier to
display additional information for each value (see next item for that).
Thanks again to GSoC student Jatin Mehta for this feature.

- The "values from external data=" parameter was added for the "combobox"
input type. This parameter lets you set the values from a set of data
returned by the External Data extension (which has to be installed for this
feature to work) - which means that you can autocomplete based on data from
a web API, a database, a file, etc. This feature also lets you set a
thumbnail image and a description for each autocompletion value, which can
potentially make for a slicker interface for those using the forms. Thanks
again to Jatin for this feature.

- The "mapping template=" parameter was added. This is a still
somewhat-experimental feature, but it meets a need that many people have
asked about over the years: the ability to display aliases for values on
the screen, while the "real" values are what ends up on the page. An
example would be values where you want to display help text for each value
- a value like "High" would ideally get displayed as "High (greater than
500)". (I'm not thinking of anything specific for that example.) You can
now do that by defining a "mapping template" - a template that takes in
one, unnamed parameter (i.e. "{{{1|}}}") and displays some string based on
that. A simple case might just involve some #if calls; a more complex case
might involve calling Semantic MediaWiki's #ask or #show functions. Then
the name of the template would be passed in to "mapping template=". In
theory, this should work for any input type that shows a preset group of
values. This feature was created jointly by me and Cindy Cicalese.

- Support was removed for MediaWiki version 1.18; 1.19 or later are now
required.

- The input defined by #forminput now has "autofocus" on it, a nice touch
that eliminates the need to move the mouse there. Thanks to Joel Natividad
for this addition.

- For the "checkboxes" input type, if there are more than a certain number
of checkboxes that appear (20, by default), additional links show up saying
"select all" and "select none". This is a potentially very useful interface
element, though I'm looking forward to seeing what people have to say about
it. Thanks to Stephan Gambke for this addition.

- There was a change to the parsing of form definitions that will hopefully
make it work better in some of the complex situations that have caused
trouble before. Thanks again to Stephan Gambke for this fix.

- There were various fixes to the forms and template output produced by the
Page Schemas extension - the code for these is contained in Semantic Forms.

- Finally, there were a lot of other behind-the-scenes fixes and changes
contributed by various people in the seven months since version 2.7 came
out. Many of these had to do with updating the code to work better with
more recent versions of MediaWiki, although some were also related to
improving the CSS and other changes. Thanks to the following people for
these changes: addshore, Chad Horohoe, Jatin Mehta, jme, JoelKP, Joel
Natividad, kghbln, Niklas Laxstrom, Pawan Seerwani, Siebrand Mazeland and
withoutaname.

You can read more about Semantic Forms, and download the latest version,
here:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms

-Yaron

Re: [SF] Version 2.8: New "tokens" input type, "combobox" changed, etc.

Peter Brooks
This sounds like a very impressive release! Congratulations. I look
forward to trying it out.

On 16 September 2014 01:37, Yaron Koren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> - Finally, there were a lot of other behind-the-scenes fixes and changes
> contributed by various people in the seven months since version 2.7 came
> out. Many of these had to do with updating the code to work better with
> more recent versions of MediaWiki, although some were also related to
> improving the CSS and other changes. Thanks to the following people for
> these changes: addshore, Chad Horohoe, Jatin Mehta, jme, JoelKP, Joel
> Natividad, kghbln, Niklas Laxstrom, Pawan Seerwani, Siebrand Mazeland and
> withoutaname.
>
> You can read more about Semantic Forms, and download the latest version,
> here:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms
>
> -Yaron

Re: [SF] Version 2.8: New "tokens" input type, "combobox" changed, etc.

planetenxin

thanks to all contributors! I'm really looking forward to check out the
new features. Especially "mapping template="...

/Alexander

Am 16.09.2014 01:37, schrieb Yaron Koren:

> [...]
> trouble before. Thanks again to Stephan Gambke for this fix.
>
> - There were various fixes to the forms and template output produced by the
> Page Schemas extension - the code for these is contained in Semantic Forms.
>
> - Finally, there were a lot of other behind-the-scenes fixes and changes
> contributed by various people in the seven months since version 2.7 came
> out. Many of these had to do with updating the code to work better with
> more recent versions of MediaWiki, although some were also related to
> improving the CSS and other changes. Thanks to the following people for
> these changes: addshore, Chad Horohoe, Jatin Mehta, jme, JoelKP, Joel
> Natividad, kghbln, Niklas Laxstrom, Pawan Seerwani, Siebrand Mazeland and
> withoutaname.
>
> You can read more about Semantic Forms, and download the latest version,

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: [SF] Version 2.8: New "tokens" input type, "combobox" changed, etc.

Neill Mitchell
What a great set of new features! Congratulations to all involved.

The tokens input type looks really great. It really does make multiple
selection auto-completes much more intuitive.

Select all and Select none is really useful for fields with lots of
values e.g. age. It should be noted that you can switch this feature on
an off per field is desired using the "show select all" and "hide select
all" parameters.

Also really like the mapping feature. That has so many potential
applications.

All in all a real step forward in terms of usability :)

All the best
Neill.

On 16/09/14 00:37, Yaron Koren wrote:

> [...]
>
> - Finally, there were a lot of other behind-the-scenes fixes and changes
> contributed by various people in the seven months since version 2.7 came
> out. Many of these had to do with updating the code to work better with
> more recent versions of MediaWiki, although some were also related to
> improving the CSS and other changes. Thanks to the following people for
> these changes: addshore, Chad Horohoe, Jatin Mehta, jme, JoelKP, Joel
> Natividad, kghbln, Niklas Laxstrom, Pawan Seerwani, Siebrand Mazeland and
> withoutaname.
>
> You can read more about Semantic Forms, and download the latest version,
> here:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms
>
> -Yaron

Re: [SF] Version 2.8: New "tokens" input type, "combobox" changed, etc.

Jaider Andrade Ferreira
Congratulations to all contributors!
It is an amazing release.

> [...]
> trouble before. Thanks again to Stephan Gambke for this fix.
>
> - There were various fixes to the forms and template output produced by the
> Page Schemas extension - the code for these is contained in Semantic Forms.
>
> - Finally, there were a lot of other behind-the-scenes fixes and changes
> contributed by various people in the seven months since version 2.7 came
> out. Many of these had to do with updating the code to work better with
> more recent versions of MediaWiki, although some were also related to
> improving the CSS and other changes. Thanks to the following people for
> these changes: addshore, Chad Horohoe, Jatin Mehta, jme, JoelKP, Joel
> Natividad, kghbln, Niklas Laxstrom, Pawan Seerwani, Siebrand Mazeland and
> withoutaname.
>
> You can read more about Semantic Forms, and download the latest version,

Jaider.