SF pre-insert button

Cavila Contrafibularity

Now that multiple-instance forms in SF are being discussed, could I butt
 in to make another request? What about the option to add a button,
along with "remove", that lets the user pre-insert a new item rather
than put one at the very end of the list?

You can probably
imagine that having to drag every new item up 30 levels or so (which doesn't
always work) can be a right pain. Said button would be a perfect remedy for this. Someone else on the
SF talk page has asked if the order in which every instance is submitted
 could be reversed so that the latest addition would appear on top of
the lost. A pre-insert button would solve this problem as well. Two birds with one stone.

I've
 suggested this before and was given to understand that it would not be a
 need for most wikis, but that Yaron would welcome a patch if anyone
could submit one. Since these feature requests are buried somewhere in
the talk page archive for SF, I thought it would be worth throwing this
out into the open.

Cav

Re: SF pre-insert button

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Cavila,

I've long been somewhat against this idea, because I thought it would be
needlessly confusing and cluttered to have "Add another" buttons below (or
above) every row. But thinking about it now, I thought, maybe there's a
less cluttered way to have the same functionality? I came up with a little
"add above" icon, as a proof of concept, and added it into my local code -
you can see it in action here:

http://discoursedb.org/w/index.php?title=Picture_IDs_are_perfectly_sensible&action=formedit

Don't get too excited - this doesn't do anything right now. :) But what do
you (or anyone else) think of this idea? Is it still cluttered and/or
confusing? Perhaps there could be a better icon to indicate the same thing?

-Yaron

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Cavila Contrafibularity <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now that multiple-instance forms in SF are being discussed, could I butt
>  in to make another request? What about the option to add a button,
> along with "remove", that lets the user pre-insert a new item rather
> than put one at the very end of the list?
>
> You can probably
> imagine that having to drag every new item up 30 levels or so (which
> doesn't
> always work) can be a right pain. Said button would be a perfect remedy
> for this. Someone else on the
> SF talk page has asked if the order in which every instance is submitted
>  could be reversed so that the latest addition would appear on top of
> the lost. A pre-insert button would solve this problem as well. Two birds
> with one stone.
>
> I've
>  suggested this before and was given to understand that it would not be a
>  need for most wikis, but that Yaron would welcome a patch if anyone
> could submit one. Since these feature requests are buried somewhere in
> the talk page archive for SF, I thought it would be worth throwing this
> out into the open.
>
> Cav

Re: SF pre-insert button

kghbln
Heiya,

I like this proof of concept. Consequently an "Add below" icon would be needed too. More importantly the
"Remove" button should be replaced with a minus icon, since this button takes up a lot of space at the moment.
Tooltips should be enough to convey what these buttons are about.

Cheers Karsten

Am 15.02.2013 17:23, schrieb Yaron Koren:

> Hi Cavila,
>
> I've long been somewhat against this idea, because I thought it would be
> needlessly confusing and cluttered to have "Add another" buttons below (or
> above) every row. But thinking about it now, I thought, maybe there's a
> less cluttered way to have the same functionality? I came up with a little
> "add above" icon, as a proof of concept, and added it into my local code -
> you can see it in action here:
>
> http://discoursedb.org/w/index.php?title=Picture_IDs_are_perfectly_sensible&action=formedit
>
> Don't get too excited - this doesn't do anything right now. :) But what do
> you (or anyone else) think of this idea? Is it still cluttered and/or
> confusing? Perhaps there could be a better icon to indicate the same thing?
>
> -Yaron
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Cavila Contrafibularity <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Now that multiple-instance forms in SF are being discussed, could I butt
>>   in to make another request? What about the option to add a button,
>> along with "remove", that lets the user pre-insert a new item rather
>> than put one at the very end of the list?
>>
>> You can probably
>> imagine that having to drag every new item up 30 levels or so (which
>> doesn't
>> always work) can be a right pain. Said button would be a perfect remedy
>> for this. Someone else on the
>> SF talk page has asked if the order in which every instance is submitted
>>   could be reversed so that the latest addition would appear on top of
>> the lost. A pre-insert button would solve this problem as well. Two birds
>> with one stone.
>>
>> I've
>>   suggested this before and was given to understand that it would not be a
>>   need for most wikis, but that Yaron would welcome a patch if anyone
>> could submit one. Since these feature requests are buried somewhere in
>> the talk page archive for SF, I thought it would be worth throwing this
>> out into the open.
>>
>> Cav

Re: SF pre-insert button

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Karsten,

Okay, it's good to hear that this new icon makes at least some sense. And
you're right that the addition of that icon made the "Remove" button feel
like the "odd person out". So I tried replacing it with just an "X" icon -
you can see the result here:

http://discoursedb.org/w/index.php?title=Picture_IDs_are_perfectly_sensible&action=formedit

Unfortunately, now neither icon works, but hopefully that can be fixed. :)

Do you really think there's a need for an "add below" icon as well? That
would seem like overkill to me.

-Yaron

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM, [[kgh]] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Heiya,
>
> I like this proof of concept. Consequently an "Add below" icon would be
> needed too. More importantly the
> "Remove" button should be replaced with a minus icon, since this button
> takes up a lot of space at the moment.
> Tooltips should be enough to convey what these buttons are about.
>
> Cheers Karsten
>
> Am 15.02.2013 17:23, schrieb Yaron Koren:
> > Hi Cavila,
> >
> > I've long been somewhat against this idea, because I thought it would be
> > needlessly confusing and cluttered to have "Add another" buttons below
> (or
> > above) every row. But thinking about it now, I thought, maybe there's a
> > less cluttered way to have the same functionality? I came up with a
> little
> > "add above" icon, as a proof of concept, and added it into my local code
> -
> > you can see it in action here:
> >

> http://discoursedb.org/w/index.php?title=Picture_IDs_are_perfectly_sensible&action=formedit
> >
> > Don't get too excited - this doesn't do anything right now. :) But what
> do
> > you (or anyone else) think of this idea? Is it still cluttered and/or
> > confusing? Perhaps there could be a better icon to indicate the same
> thing?
> >
> > -Yaron
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Cavila Contrafibularity <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Now that multiple-instance forms in SF are being discussed, could I butt
> >>   in to make another request? What about the option to add a button,
> >> along with "remove", that lets the user pre-insert a new item rather
> >> than put one at the very end of the list?
> >>
> >> You can probably
> >> imagine that having to drag every new item up 30 levels or so (which
> >> doesn't
> >> always work) can be a right pain. Said button would be a perfect remedy
> >> for this. Someone else on the
> >> SF talk page has asked if the order in which every instance is submitted
> >>   could be reversed so that the latest addition would appear on top of
> >> the lost. A pre-insert button would solve this problem as well. Two
> birds
> >> with one stone.
> >>
> >> I've
> >>   suggested this before and was given to understand that it would not
> be a
> >>   need for most wikis, but that Yaron would welcome a patch if anyone
> >> could submit one. Since these feature requests are buried somewhere in
> >> the talk page archive for SF, I thought it would be worth throwing this
> >> out into the open.
> >>
> >> Cav

Re: SF pre-insert button

kghbln
Heiya Yaron,

at least it makes sense to me, too. :) The icon is quite intuitive, which is good. Hmm, replacing the "Remove"
button with an "X" or an "-" is perhaps a matter of style. The "-" makes it probably appear more consistent
within the "canon" of icons but the "X" would be equally fine for me (This is probably a more academic
discussion, so there are no worries here as far as I am concerned.)

I really believe that an "add below" icon would make sense. The more instances you have, the more sense it
makes. One could argue that you could add an item above and then easily move it down by one position but I
expect that users will "complain" about it. However, just having the "Add above" is far better than the
current situation there you have to add an item at the very bottom and move it all the way up.

I am sure others will kick into this e-mail thread too.

Cheers Karsten

Am 15.02.2013 18:04, schrieb Yaron Koren:

> [...]
>     >>   need for most wikis, but that Yaron would welcome a patch if anyone
>     >> could submit one. Since these feature requests are buried somewhere in
>     >> the talk page archive for SF, I thought it would be worth throwing this
>     >> out into the open.
>     >>
>     >> Cav
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     >> Free Next-Gen Firewall Hardware Offer
>     >> Buy your Sophos next-gen firewall before the end March 2013
>     >> and get the hardware for free! Learn more.
>     >> http://p.sf.net/sfu/sophos-d2d-feb
>     >> _______________________________________________
>     >> Semediawiki-user mailing list
>     >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: SF pre-insert button

Ad Strack van Schijndel
This is a very good development. And I hope that the 'keyboard' variants with Alt-T or alike will be part of it!
Although I understand of course that is much more difficult to visualize :-).

On 15 februari 2013, at 18:22, "[[kgh]]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>    Cheers Karsten
>>
>>    Am 15.02.2013 17:23, schrieb Yaron Koren:
>>> Hi Cavila,
>>>
>>> I've long been somewhat against this idea, because I thought it would be
>>> needlessly confusing and cluttered to have "Add another" buttons below (or
>>> above) every row. But thinking about it now, I thought, maybe there's a
>>> less cluttered way to have the same functionality? I came up with a little
>>> "add above" icon, as a proof of concept, and added it into my local code -
>>> you can see it in action here:
>>>
>>> http://discoursedb.org/w/index.php?title=Picture_IDs_are_perfectly_sensible&action=formedit
>>>
>>> Don't get too excited - this doesn't do anything right now. :) But what do
>>> you (or anyone else) think of this idea? Is it still cluttered and/or
>>> confusing? Perhaps there could be a better icon to indicate the same thing?

Re: SF pre-insert button

Yaron Koren-2
Hi,

Okay, I guess the icon idea is a winner. It's a tricky thing with icons -
they can look nice, but they can also quickly devolve into a mass of
difficult-to-understand images, a la Microsoft Word. I guess three icons is
manageable.

On that note - maybe the main "Add another" button should just be a big
"+"? That might prevent the issue some people have had with the text saying
"Add another" even though there are no instances yet.

Karsten - surely, to add another instance below, the user could just click
on the "Add above" icon on the instance below the current one? That's what
I meant about and "Add below" being unnecessary.

-Yaron

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Ad Strack van Schijndel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> tried replacing it with just an "X"
> >> icon - you can see the result here:
> >>

> http://discoursedb.org/w/index.php?title=Picture_IDs_are_perfectly_sensible&action=formedit
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, now neither icon works, but hopefully that can be fixed.
> :)
> >>
> >> Do you really think there's a need for an "add below" icon as well?
> That would seem like overkill to me.
> >>
> >> -Yaron
> >>
> >> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM, [[kgh]] <[hidden email]<mailto:
> [hidden email]>> wrote:
> >>
> >>    Heiya,
> >>
> >>    I like this proof of concept. Consequently an "Add below" icon would
> be needed too. More importantly the
> >>    "Remove" button should be replaced with a minus icon, since this
> button takes up a lot of space at the
> >>    moment.
> >>    Tooltips should be enough to convey what these buttons are about.

Oh, and I was going to say - I had the same idea about a "-" icon - I tried
that out first, but it just looked too cryptic. I tried putting a circle
around (which is what some applications do), but then it looked too "busy".
I don't know - anyone is free to try their hand, and send me one or more
images.

-Yaron

>> > at least it makes sense to me, too. :) The icon is quite intuitive,
>> which is good. Hmm, replacing the "Remove"
>> > button with an "X" or an "-" is perhaps a matter of style. The "-"
>> makes it probably appear more consistent
>> > within the "canon" of icons but the "X" would be equally fine for me
>> (This is probably a more academic
>> > discussion, so there are no worries here as far as I am concerned.)

Re: SF pre-insert button

Cavila Contrafibularity

Wow, thanks! This actually made my day. I'm already liking it and don't think it has a cluttered feel to it. Personally I'd prefer to have the icons aligned vertically (narrow space, many fields per item), but I'm guessing that on the majority of wikis it makes more sense to have them just as they are presented in Yaron's example (a lot of horizontal space, fewer fields per item).

Cheers,
Cav

> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 13:05:37 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Semediawiki-user] SF pre-insert button
>
> Oh, and I was going to say - I had the same idea about a "-" icon - I tried
> that out first, but it just looked too cryptic. I tried putting a circle
> around (which is what some applications do), but then it looked too "busy".
> I don't know - anyone is free to try their hand, and send me one or more
> images.
>
> -Yaron

> >> which is good. Hmm, replacing the "Remove"
> >> makes it probably appear more consistent
> >> (This is probably a more academic

Re: SF pre-insert button

kghbln
Ouch, this is not what I wrote but yes, this is the way to go. I was complicating things again. :( Yeah, three
icons seem to be sufficient.

I always use specific wording for the existing "Add button", so I do not really have a problem with "add
another". I am not sure about replacing this with a "+" icon.

Cheers Karsten

Am 15.02.2013 19:02, schrieb Yaron Koren:
> Karsten - surely, to add another instance below, the user could just click on the "Add above" icon on the
> instance below the current one? That's what I meant about and "Add below" being unnecessary.

Re: SF pre-insert button

Yaron Koren-2
Hi everyone,

Well, I got all the icons working, and I made their appearance a little
more button-like, inspired by the icons at the top of many web browsers -
once again, you can see the results here:

http://discoursedb.org/w/index.php?title=Picture_IDs_are_perfectly_sensible&action=formedit

Any feedback is welcome, as always - and I'm still thinking about replacing
"Add another" with "+". Maybe it should get replaced only if the form
doesn't have any custom text for that button?

-Yaron

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM, [[kgh]] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ouch, this is not what I wrote but yes, this is the way to go. I was
> complicating things again. :( Yeah, three icons seem to be sufficient.
>
> I always use specific wording for the existing "Add button", so I do not
> really have a problem with "add another". I am not sure about replacing
> this with a "+" icon.
>
> Cheers Karsten
>
> Am 15.02.2013 19:02, schrieb Yaron Koren:
>
>  Karsten - surely, to add another instance below, the user could just
>> click on the "Add above" icon on the instance below the current one? That's
>> what I meant about and "Add below" being unnecessary.

Re: SF pre-insert button

thingles
I think this looks really great. I was just dealing with a form that has 50 or so instances and inserting in the middle was really desired.

My preference would be to leave the add another button as it is.

On Feb 15, 2013, at 3:44 PM, Yaron Koren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Well, I got all the icons working, and I made their appearance a little
> more button-like, inspired by the icons at the top of many web browsers -
> once again, you can see the results here:
>
> http://discoursedb.org/w/index.php?title=Picture_IDs_are_perfectly_sensible&action=formedit
>
> Any feedback is welcome, as always - and I'm still thinking about replacing
> "Add another" with "+". Maybe it should get replaced only if the form
> doesn't have any custom text for that button?
>
> -Yaron
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM, [[kgh]] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ouch, this is not what I wrote but yes, this is the way to go. I was
>> complicating things again. :( Yeah, three icons seem to be sufficient.
>>
>> I always use specific wording for the existing "Add button", so I do not
>> really have a problem with "add another". I am not sure about replacing
>> this with a "+" icon.
>>
>> Cheers Karsten
>>
>> Am 15.02.2013 19:02, schrieb Yaron Koren:
>>
>> Karsten - surely, to add another instance below, the user could just
>>> click on the "Add above" icon on the instance below the current one? That's
>>> what I meant about and "Add below" being unnecessary.

Re: SF pre-insert button

Neill Mitchell
This is a great enhancement!

Having icons only show when custom button text is not defined is a good idea. There are still times when you need a button with text. Sites for visually impaired users who use screen readers, for example.

Cheers.