SMW 1.9beta1 install directions not clear (or I'm dense)

SMW 1.9beta1 install directions not clear (or I'm dense)

Chris Koerner
I'm trying to run the latest master of MediaWiki (1.23wmfXX) with SMW 1.9
beta.
When running the following I get an error and composer fails.

php composer.phar require mediawiki/semantic-media-wiki "*"

upon investigation the composer.json file is empty with only the following

{
}

After manually copying the composer.json contents from github it then fails
with the following error.

Generating autoload files
 [RuntimeException]

 Could not scan for classes inside "SemanticMediaWiki.hooks.php" which does

 not appear to be a file nor a folder

Am I missing something or is the current method to install the SMW 1.9 beta
not working at the moment? I'm rather use to drop the extension in the
w/extensions/ directory and add an 'require_once' to LocalSettings.php.
This composer stuff seems a little obtuse at the moment. :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Yours,
Chris Koerner
clkoerner.com

Re: SMW 1.9beta1 install directions not clear (or I'm dense)

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

After manually copying the composer.json contents from github it then fails
> with the following error.

You copied the composer.json file of SMW into the root of MediaWiki? That
will indeed not work.

Did you see the installation instructions at
https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/blob/master/docs/INSTALL.md#download-and-installation?

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

Re: SMW 1.9beta1 install directions not clear (or I'm dense)

Chris Koerner
Ah, I think my confusion was this line, "If you have MediaWiki 1.22 or later, go to the root directory of your MediaWiki installation, and go to step 2." And that a blank composer.json file appeared.

Yours,
Chris K.

> On Dec 17, 2013, at 5:17 PM, Jeroen De Dauw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
>> After manually copying the composer.json contents from github it then fails
>> with the following error.
>
> You copied the composer.json file of SMW into the root of MediaWiki? That will indeed not work.
>
> Did you see the installation instructions at https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/blob/master/docs/INSTALL.md#download-and-installation ?
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Jeroen De Dauw
> http://www.bn2vs.com
> Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: SMW 1.9beta1 install directions not clear (or I'm dense)

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey Chris,

You are right, the documentation is a bit unclear there. Thanks for
pointing this out! I will fix this tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

Re: SMW 1.9beta1 install directions not clear (or I'm dense)

Eric_
I wonder how all of this works without command line access?!? Does it at all?

Re: SMW 1.9beta1 install directions not clear (or I'm dense)

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

> I wonder how all of this works without command line access?!? Does it at
all?

Nope. Which is why we will continue to provide tarballs.

I do hope that in the not to distant future, a GUI will be available for
managing extensions via Composer.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

Re: SMW 1.9beta1 install directions not clear (or I'm dense)

jongfeli
Hello Jeroen,

Last Monday I tried to install SMW 1.9 via composer but I did not get it to work, I stopped before I got to frustrated :). I always updated extensions manually in the past. This morning i gave it another shot and after setting some proxy settings on WS 2008 and installing Git for Windows I finally got it working. I now have a better idea on how composer is actually working.

Don't you think it is a good idea to write the "how-to install" documentation for SMW 1.9 on semantic-mediawiki.org before the official release? Is there a reason why it is not on semantic-mediawiki.org yet? Users and system admins need to get used to the whole composer way of installing extensions on MediaWiki.

Regards,

Felipe.

Re: SMW 1.9beta1 install directions not clear (or I'm dense)

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

Don't you think it is a good idea to write the "how-to install"
> documentation for SMW 1.9 on semantic-mediawiki.org before the official
> release?

Definitely. This needs to happen before we can release.

Is there a reason why it is not on semantic-mediawiki.org yet?

Lack of time :) Some awesome contributors have already put effort into
writing something up on SMW wiki, perhaps you could lend them a hand?

This morning i gave it another shot and after setting
> some proxy settings on WS 2008 and installing Git for Windows I finally got
> it working.

When we release it will be possible to use Composer without having git
installed. Hence the reasons to have git installed will have decreased
compared to our previous releases.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

Re: SMW 1.9beta1 install directions not clear (or I'm dense)

jongfeli
Ok, thanks. I will definitely help out with documenting how to install SMW with Composer.

Regards,

Felipe.