SMW 2.0 or 10.0?

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

It seems there is general agreement on having the next big SMW release have a semver.org complaint version number.

However there are two options that have been proposed and both work: 2.0 and 10.0. The former one increments the first number, changing it from "the meaningless 1 at the front" to be the actual MAJOR version. The later drops the "meaningless 1", shifting the current actual MAJOR version "9" to its correct location, and then incrementing it as should be done with each new major release.

I'm fine with both, though need to make some decision. So please indicate your preference.

So far we have 1 point for 10.0 from Markus and 1 point for 2.0 from Yaron.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

Re: SMW 2.0 or 10.0?

James HK

>From a visibility point of view, jumping from 1.9 to 10 seems a bit
gigantic (even though you can argue the rational behind dropping 1
where 10 follows 9) but I'm more in favour of going with 2 instead.

Cheers

On 1/19/14, Jeroen De Dauw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> It seems there is general agreement on having the next big SMW release have
> a semver.org complaint version number.
>
> However there are two options that have been proposed and both work: 2.0
> and 10.0. The former one increments the first number, changing it from "the
> meaningless 1 at the front" to be the actual MAJOR version. The later drops
> the "meaningless 1", shifting the current actual MAJOR version "9" to its
> correct location, and then incrementing it as should be done with each new
> major release.
>
> I'm fine with both, though need to make some decision. So please indicate
> your preference.
>
> So far we have 1 point for 10.0 from Markus and 1 point for 2.0 from Yaron.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Jeroen De Dauw
> http://www.bn2vs.com
> Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: SMW 2.0 or 10.0?

nischay nahata
I didn't follow the full discussion but 2.0 makes more sense to me.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:15 PM, James HK <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

>From a visibility point of view, jumping from 1.9 to 10 seems a bit
gigantic (even though you can argue the rational behind dropping 1
where 10 follows 9) but I'm more in favour of going with 2 instead.

Cheers

On 1/19/14, Jeroen De Dauw <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> It seems there is general agreement on having the next big SMW release have
> a semver.org complaint version number.
>
> However there are two options that have been proposed and both work: 2.0
> and 10.0. The former one increments the first number, changing it from "the
> meaningless 1 at the front" to be the actual MAJOR version. The later drops
> the "meaningless 1", shifting the current actual MAJOR version "9" to its
> correct location, and then incrementing it as should be done with each new
> major release.
>
> I'm fine with both, though need to make some decision. So please indicate
> your preference.
>
> So far we have 1 point for 10.0 from Markus and 1 point for 2.0 from Yaron.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Jeroen De Dauw
> http://www.bn2vs.com
> Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3

Nischay Nahata

Re: SMW 2.0 or 10.0?

Markus Krötzsch-2
Ok, I give in: +1 to "2.0"  :-)

Markus

On 18/01/14 19:27, Nischay Nahata wrote:

> I didn't follow the full discussion but 2.0 makes more sense to me.
>

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:15 PM, James HK <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>      >From a visibility point of view, jumping from 1.9 to 10 seems a bit
>     gigantic (even though you can argue the rational behind dropping 1
>     where 10 follows 9) but I'm more in favour of going with 2 instead.
>
>     Cheers
>
>     On 1/19/14, Jeroen De Dauw <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>      > Hey,
>      >
>      > It seems there is general agreement on having the next big SMW
>     release have
>      > a semver.org <http://semver.org> complaint version number.
>      >
>      > However there are two options that have been proposed and both
>     work: 2.0
>      > and 10.0. The former one increments the first number, changing it
>     from "the
>      > meaningless 1 at the front" to be the actual MAJOR version. The
>     later drops
>      > the "meaningless 1", shifting the current actual MAJOR version
>     "9" to its
>      > correct location, and then incrementing it as should be done with
>     each new
>      > major release.
>      >
>      > I'm fine with both, though need to make some decision. So please
>     indicate
>      > your preference.
>      >
>      > So far we have 1 point for 10.0 from Markus and 1 point for 2.0
>     from Yaron.
>      >
>      > Cheers
>      >
>      > --
>      > Jeroen De Dauw
>      > http://www.bn2vs.com
>      > Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3
>      > --
>      >

> Cheers,
>
> Nischay Nahata

Re: SMW 2.0 or 10.0?

Yury Katkov
+1 to 10.0 unless any super cool features are coming.

2.0 was good enough for the version where subobjects or Triple store support were introduced

-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Markus Krötzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I give in: +1 to "2.0"  :-)

Markus

On 18/01/14 19:27, Nischay Nahata wrote:
> I didn't follow the full discussion but 2.0 makes more sense to me.
>

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:15 PM, James HK <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>      >From a visibility point of view, jumping from 1.9 to 10 seems a bit
>     gigantic (even though you can argue the rational behind dropping 1
>     where 10 follows 9) but I'm more in favour of going with 2 instead.
>
>     Cheers
>
>     On 1/19/14, Jeroen De Dauw <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>      > Hey,
>      >
>      > It seems there is general agreement on having the next big SMW
>     release have
>      > a semver.org <http://semver.org> complaint version number.
>      >
>      > However there are two options that have been proposed and both
>     work: 2.0
>      > and 10.0. The former one increments the first number, changing it
>     from "the
>      > meaningless 1 at the front" to be the actual MAJOR version. The
>     later drops
>      > the "meaningless 1", shifting the current actual MAJOR version
>     "9" to its
>      > correct location, and then incrementing it as should be done with
>     each new
>      > major release.
>      >
>      > I'm fine with both, though need to make some decision. So please
>     indicate
>      > your preference.
>      >
>      > So far we have 1 point for 10.0 from Markus and 1 point for 2.0
>     from Yaron.
>      >
>      > Cheers
>      >
>      > --
>      > Jeroen De Dauw
>      > http://www.bn2vs.com
>      > Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3
>      > --
>      >

> Cheers,
>
> Nischay Nahata

Re: SMW 2.0 or 10.0?

Krabina Bernhard

a piece of software that has been around sind 2006 in now the ninth major version, should really not be called "2.0". So my vote goes to 10.0 - this much more indicates the maturity of SMW!

Cheers,
Bernhard

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----

> Hey,
>
> It seems there is general agreement on having the next big SMW release have a
> semver.org complaint version number.
>
> However there are two options that have been proposed and both work: 2.0 and
> 10.0. The former one increments the first number, changing it from "the
> meaningless 1 at the front" to be the actual MAJOR version. The later drops
> the "meaningless 1", shifting the current actual MAJOR version "9" to its
> correct location, and then incrementing it as should be done with each new
> major release.
>
> I'm fine with both, though need to make some decision. So please indicate
> your preference.
>
> So far we have 1 point for 10.0 from Markus and 1 point for 2.0 from Yaron.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Jeroen De Dauw
> http://www.bn2vs.com
> Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: SMW 2.0 or 10.0?

Ryan Glasnapp
The 10.0 versioning makes logical sense, however,  2.0 makes a whole lot more sense from an end users standpoint. People are going to get confused with the large jump, and wonder where the other versions are (and may also not understand why the jump was made).

Also, it maintains some consistency with MediaWiki's versioning system.

--Ryan

On Jan 20, 2014, at 3:27 AM, Krabina Bernhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> a piece of software that has been around sind 2006 in now the ninth major version, should really not be called "2.0". So my vote goes to 10.0 - this much more indicates the maturity of SMW!
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard
>
> ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
>> Hey,
>>
>> It seems there is general agreement on having the next big SMW release have a
>> semver.org complaint version number.
>>
>> However there are two options that have been proposed and both work: 2.0 and
>> 10.0. The former one increments the first number, changing it from "the
>> meaningless 1 at the front" to be the actual MAJOR version. The later drops
>> the "meaningless 1", shifting the current actual MAJOR version "9" to its
>> correct location, and then incrementing it as should be done with each new
>> major release.
>>
>> I'm fine with both, though need to make some decision. So please indicate
>> your preference.
>>
>> So far we have 1 point for 10.0 from Markus and 1 point for 2.0 from Yaron.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> --
>> Jeroen De Dauw
>> http://www.bn2vs.com
>> Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: SMW 2.0 or 10.0?

planetenxin
+1 for 2.0 for the same reason, Ryan mentioned.

Am 20.01.2014 15:45, schrieb Ryan Glasnapp:
> The 10.0 versioning makes logical sense, however,  2.0 makes a whole lot more sense from an end users standpoint. People are going to get confused with the large jump, and wonder where the other versions are (and may also not understand why the jump was made).
>
> Also, it maintains some consistency with MediaWiki's versioning system.
>
> --Ryan

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: SMW 2.0 or 10.0?

Joel Natividad
+1 for 10.  SMW has a long history and the under-the-hood and process improvements that the team has done justifies the large jump IMHO.

Think Different! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_different#Text)
Imagine Different! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5tOgRD4EqY)

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 2:58 PM, planetenxin <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for 2.0 for the same reason, Ryan mentioned.

Am 20.01.2014 15:45, schrieb Ryan Glasnapp:
> The 10.0 versioning makes logical sense, however,  2.0 makes a whole lot more sense from an end users standpoint. People are going to get confused with the large jump, and wonder where the other versions are (and may also not understand why the jump was made).
>
> Also, it maintains some consistency with MediaWiki's versioning system.
>
> --Ryan

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: SMW 2.0 or 10.0?

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,