SMW Logo Contest

Markus Krötzsch-2
Hi,

at SMW Camp 2009, we have agreed that SMW could really use a better logo. In
particular, the current logo is too complex and puzzling, thus not reflecting
the fact that SMW is there to simplify many tasks. The core developers do not
have sufficient resources for creating new logos, but we are sure that some of
our users/contributors could do a great job here.

We thus would like to ask the community for contributions: if you have an idea
for a better logo, please send (a link to) your proposal to this list by
replying to this email. Below you can find the general requirements that a
logo should satisfy.

Partial proposals are also welcome: if you have a good idea, we can always
work on improving the quality of the logo, or on converting it to a suitable
format. Some inspiration can be found online [1] and in the logos of related
projects (MW, Wordpress, Drupal, W3C Semantic Web, ...).

The reward for submitting a logo is, of course, the eternal gratitude of the
SMW user community, and -- if you are working with SMW in a commercial context
-- the chance to get us using a logo that is more pleasant to the eyes of your
customers.

Cheers,

Markus

[1] http://www.logolounge.com/logotrends/

== Requirements (note that some are "MUST" and some are "SHOULD") ==

* Logos MUST be free, i.e. published under CC-By license and not subject to
other legal restrictions that would significantly hinder the distribution
(e.g. it must not be trademarked). When submitting a logo, you agree on
disclosing all legal restrictions on using/modifying/redistributing the logo,
and these restrictions MUST be stated in the submission.

* Logos MUST be provided in sufficient quality for high-resolution printing at
big sizes. It is strongly suggested to provide an editable SVG version.

* Logos SHOULD include the text "SMW" or "Semantic MediaWiki" in a readable
form (it has been stated that the abbreviated form is less frightening to some
users, so "SMW" is preferred). It can be useful to have a logo without this
text, but there should be a standard way to include the text.

* Logos SHOULD fit into the various usage contexts of SMW, i.e. be suitable
both as an open source project logo and as a product logo.

* Logos SHOULD come in different sizes/variants: one roughly squared version
to be used as a logo in MediaWiki sites, one smaller button version that can
be used like the "powered by MediaWiki" at the bottom of a wiki. Other small
"powered by" buttons could be nice (maybe in the size of the "RSS" buttons
that you see in blogs), but are not required.

* Logos SHOULD be a good basis for creating custom derivatives that can be
used for SMW extensions. This includes layout (e.g. the text "SMW" should not
be the main component of the logo) but also technical aspects (the font used
for writing SMW in the standard logo should be widely available, the SVG file
should be editable).

--
Markus Krötzsch  <[hidden email]>
* Personal page: http://korrekt.org

Re: SMW Logo Contest

Dan Bolser-3
;-)

2009/11/18 Markus Krötzsch <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> text, but there should be a standard way to include the text.
>
> * Logos SHOULD fit into the various usage contexts of SMW, i.e. be suitable
> both as an open source project logo and as a product logo.
>
> * Logos SHOULD come in different sizes/variants: one roughly squared version
> to be used as a logo in MediaWiki sites, one smaller button version that can
> be used like the "powered by MediaWiki" at the bottom of a wiki. Other small
> "powered by" buttons could be nice (maybe in the size of the "RSS" buttons
> that you see in blogs), but are not required.
>
> * Logos SHOULD be a good basis for creating custom derivatives that can be
> used for SMW extensions. This includes layout (e.g. the text "SMW" should not
> be the main component of the logo) but also technical aspects (the font used
> for writing SMW in the standard logo should be widely available, the SVG file

Alex Kozak
Has there been any discussion on whether this logo might eventually become a
registered trademark? What are the IP requirements for the mark (CC BY
license? Public Domain?)

I suppose this is important if SMW+ or the Semantic Bundle will be using the
logo. If those distributions are meant to be the best "out of the box"
solutions, then will they have their own branding or will they be branded
with the SMW logo?

- Alex

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Dan Bolser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > * Logos SHOULD come in different sizes/variants: one roughly squared
> version
> > to be used as a logo in MediaWiki sites, one smaller button version that
> can
> > be used like the "powered by MediaWiki" at the bottom of a wiki. Other
> small
> > "powered by" buttons could be nice (maybe in the size of the "RSS"
> buttons
> > that you see in blogs), but are not required.
> >
> > * Logos SHOULD be a good basis for creating custom derivatives that can
> be
> > used for SMW extensions. This includes layout (e.g. the text "SMW" should
> not
> > be the main component of the logo) but also technical aspects (the font
> used
> > for writing SMW in the standard logo should be widely available, the SVG

Education Program Assistant
Creative Commons
415.369.8492

Re: SMW Logo Contest

Scott Reed-3
Here's an idea. It weaves the M and W and adds a couple of curves for
the S. I hereby relinquish any rights I might have to this design. :-)
  Scott

Re: SMW Logo Contest

Patrick Nagel

based on Dan's idea and the MediaWiki logo (brackets and colour) [1].

I put all information on a small web page:

http://patrick-nagel.net/misc/2009/smwlogo_proposal/

Critique and/or modifications welcome :)

Patrick.

[1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MediaWiki.svg

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4            http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4

Re: SMW Logo Contest

Markus Krötzsch-2
On Donnerstag, 19. November 2009, Alex Kozak wrote:
> Has there been any discussion on whether this logo might eventually become
>  a registered trademark? What are the IP requirements for the mark (CC BY
>  license? Public Domain?)

Yes. Please read my original email for details. I don't think that there is
any need to think about trademarking so far. We need to be *much* bigger for
this to become relevant.

> I suppose this is important if SMW+ or the Semantic Bundle will be using
>  the logo. If those distributions are meant to be the best "out of the box"
>  solutions, then will they have their own branding or will they be branded
>  with the SMW logo?

It would be nice to have related logos for related projects, but of course
every maintainer can make individual decisions on the logo that is to be used.

-- Markus

On Freitag, 20. November 2009, Patrick Nagel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> based on Dan's idea and the MediaWiki logo (brackets and colour) [1].
>
> I put all information on a small web page:
>
> http://patrick-nagel.net/misc/2009/smwlogo_proposal/
>
> Critique and/or modifications welcome :)

Main critique: it looks awfully technical with all those non-alphabet
characters. I think we should have some graphical components (recall MW's
flower).

Markus

> Patrick.
>
> [1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MediaWiki.svg

--
Markus Krötzsch  <[hidden email]>
* Personal page: http://korrekt.org
* Semantic MediaWiki: http://semantic-mediawiki.org
* Semantic Web textbook: http://semantic-web-book.org

Re: SMW Logo Contest

Patrick Nagel
Hi Markus,

On 2009-11-20 08:27 UTC Markus Krötzsch wrote:
> > http://patrick-nagel.net/misc/2009/smwlogo_proposal/
> >
> > Critique and/or modifications welcome :)
>
> Main critique: it looks awfully technical with all those non-alphabet
> characters. I think we should have some graphical components (recall MW's
> flower).

True, didn't think of that. I thought more along the lines of "a flower is
something a computer will never "understand" (like non-semantically tagged
data) - the simple symbol (s from semantic) is what the machine can work
with". Another idea was to make a schematic flower instead of the original.

What about the non-main critique? ;) I think it will help me and others with
further proposals to know what (else) you (and others) like or don't like
about it.

Patrick.

2009/11/20 Patrick Nagel <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Markus,
>
> On 2009-11-20 08:27 UTC Markus Krötzsch wrote:
>> > http://patrick-nagel.net/misc/2009/smwlogo_proposal/
>> >
>> > Critique and/or modifications welcome :)
>>
>> Main critique: it looks awfully technical with all those non-alphabet
>> characters. I think we should have some graphical components (recall MW's
>> flower).
>
> True, didn't think of that. I thought more along the lines of "a flower is
> something a computer will never "understand" (like non-semantically tagged
> data) - the simple symbol (s from semantic) is what the machine can work
> with". Another idea was to make a schematic flower instead of the original.
Attached? ;-)

Re: SMW Logo Contest

david-217
I like the Patrick's proposal. Specialy the 2th variant.
But if it is a matter of having an image...
... if MW have a flower SMW could have a dandylion

B3n_soltando_semillas.jpg

El dv 20 de 11 de 2009 a les 09:27 +0100, en/na Markus Krötzsch va
escriure:

2009/11/22 david <[hidden email]>:
> I like the Patrick's proposal. Specialy the 2th variant.
> But if it is a matter of having an image...
> ... if MW have a flower SMW could have a dandylion

> B3n_soltando_semillas.jpg

Nice image! SMW... Seeding the semantic web.

> El dv 20 de 11 de 2009 a les 09:27 +0100, en/na Markus Krötzsch va
> escriure:
>> On Freitag, 20. November 2009, Patrick Nagel wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > based on Dan's idea and the MediaWiki logo (brackets and colour) [1].
>> >
>> > I put all information on a small web page:
>> >
>> > http://patrick-nagel.net/misc/2009/smwlogo_proposal/
>> >
>> > Critique and/or modifications welcome :)
>>
>> Main critique: it looks awfully technical with all those non-alphabet
>> characters. I think we should have some graphical components (recall MW's
>> flower).
>>
>> Markus
>>

>> > Patrick.
>> >
>> > [1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MediaWiki.svg

Re: SMW Logo Contest

david-217
El dg 22 de 11 de 2009 a les 19:23 +0000, en/na Dan Bolser va escriure:

> 2009/11/22 david <[hidden email]>:
> > I like the Patrick's proposal. Specialy the 2th variant.
> > But if it is a matter of having an image...
> > ... if MW have a flower SMW could have a dandylion

> > B3n_soltando_semillas.jpg
>
> Nice image! SMW... Seeding the semantic web.

Yes, It seems to me that the dandelion might have connotations...

(visually)
-> structure
-> something uncomplete (like the WP logo)
-> nodes&nexus

(semanticaly :-)
-> spreading
-> fun (playing, blowing)

and smw needs people(users) semantization, like dandelions needs insects
pollination :-)

I made a sketch:
http://enlloc.net/dvdgmz/smw/logo/smwlogo_dandylion1.png
http://enlloc.net/dvdgmz/smw/logo/smwlogo_dandylion1.svg
Based on the photo (cc-by):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30884656@N02/2955199830/
Touched in Gimp:
http://enlloc.net/dvdgmz/smw/logo/dandylion_T.xcf

However I think that (if and image will be taken as a logo) the modified
"s" could be maintained and give it some use. It is a symbol in a single
character that might be included in the typography sets meaning
"semantic" in general for 'semantic web' or 'semantic wikis'.
It could be used also as an indentifier for 'fact boxes'.

Re: SMW Logo Contest

Patrick Nagel
Hi David,

On 2009-11-23 08:09, david wrote:

> Yes, It seems to me that the dandelion might have connotations...
>
> (visually)
> -> structure
> -> something uncomplete (like the WP logo)
> -> nodes&nexus
>
> (semanticaly :-)
> -> spreading
> -> fun (playing, blowing)
>
> and smw needs people(users) semantization, like dandelions needs insects
> pollination :-)
>
> I made a sketch:
> http://enlloc.net/dvdgmz/smw/logo/smwlogo_dandylion1.png
> http://enlloc.net/dvdgmz/smw/logo/smwlogo_dandylion1.svg
> Based on the photo (cc-by):
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/30884656@N02/2955199830/
> Touched in Gimp:
> http://enlloc.net/dvdgmz/smw/logo/dandylion_T.xcf
Good job! :) I'd prefer the colours to be a tad brighter though.

> However I think that (if and image will be taken as a logo) the modified
> "s" could be maintained and give it some use. It is a symbol in a single
> character that might be included in the typography sets meaning
> "semantic" in general for 'semantic web' or 'semantic wikis'.
> It could be used also as an indentifier for 'fact boxes'.

Heh, having the s@ (I'll call it the "seme" symbol [1]) ;) as a
character in typefaces would be cool :) But having transparent PNG
support in most browsers nowadays doesn't make it too difficult to use
the symbol wherever needed. Anyway, lets see what Markus has to say :)

Patrick.

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seme_%28semantics%29

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4            http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4

Re: SMW Logo Contest

Krabina Bernhard

> I made a sketch:
> http://enlloc.net/dvdgmz/smw/logo/smwlogo_dandylion1.png

I think especially when it is very small it is not easily recognisable as dandylion. Maybe you can try just to take the seeds part (the two flying seeds of the picture)?

I also think that the colours should be changed.

- Bernhard

> http://enlloc.net/dvdgmz/smw/logo/smwlogo_dandylion1.svg
> Based on the photo (cc-by):
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/30884656@N02/2955199830/
> Touched in Gimp:
> http://enlloc.net/dvdgmz/smw/logo/dandylion_T.xcf
>
> However I think that (if and image will be taken as a logo) the
> modified
> "s" could be maintained and give it some use. It is a symbol in a
> single
> character that might be included in the typography sets meaning
> "semantic" in general for 'semantic web' or 'semantic wikis'.
> It could be used also as an indentifier for 'fact boxes'.

Re: SMW Logo Contest

Denny Vrandecic-3
I like the Dandylion idea, so I tried to clip art it a bit.

Both logos would obviously need a brush up and be brought into the right format, but I hope the idea is clear.

<http://simia.net/bilder/dandysquare.png>

<http://simia.net/bilder/dandyround.png>

Cheers,
denny

On Nov 23, 2009, at 3:23, Patrick Nagel wrote:

> On 2009-11-23 08:09, david wrote:
>>
>> However I think that (if and image will be taken as a logo) the modified
>> "s" could be maintained and give it some use. It is a symbol in a single
>> character that might be included in the typography sets meaning
>> "semantic" in general for 'semantic web' or 'semantic wikis'.
>> It could be used also as an indentifier for 'fact boxes'.
>
> Heh, having the s@ (I'll call it the "seme" symbol [1]) ;) as a
> character in typefaces would be cool :) But having transparent PNG
> support in most browsers nowadays doesn't make it too difficult to use
> the symbol wherever needed. Anyway, lets see what Markus has to say :)

I like the Seme symbol. In the original version though, the tail started at the lower end of the S, not at the upper, which lens much more to the way one would naturally write it, and thus I would prefer it that way. It also resolves the issue with the wiggle on the upper right side of the current proposal.

(And yes, I know, in the e- and a-circles it is the other way, but here the writing flow commands it as well).

Picky me... :-)

Cheers,
denny

Re: SMW Logo Contest

Laurent Alquier-2
I like the idea of dandelion but as a logo, I think it should be more stylized. It should be using a symbol of a dandelion instead of a photograph. That would improve readability of the logo as different sizes.

- Laurent

On Nov 23, 2009, at 3:03 AM, Krabina Bernhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I made a sketch:
>> http://enlloc.net/dvdgmz/smw/logo/smwlogo_dandylion1.png
>
> I think especially when it is very small it is not easily recognisable as dandylion. Maybe you can try just to take the seeds part (the two flying seeds of the picture)?
>
> I also think that the colours should be changed.
>
> - Bernhard
>

>> http://enlloc.net/dvdgmz/smw/logo/smwlogo_dandylion1.svg
>> Based on the photo (cc-by):
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/30884656@N02/2955199830/
>> Touched in Gimp:
>> http://enlloc.net/dvdgmz/smw/logo/dandylion_T.xcf
>>
>> However I think that (if and image will be taken as a logo) the
>> modified
>> "s" could be maintained and give it some use. It is a symbol in a
>> single
>> character that might be included in the typography sets meaning
>> "semantic" in general for 'semantic web' or 'semantic wikis'.
>> It could be used also as an indentifier for 'fact boxes'.

Re: SMW Logo Contest

Krabina Bernhard
Hi Denny,

hmm. looks like brooms to me...

- Bernhard

On 2009-11-23 11:22 UTC Denny Vrandecic wrote:
> I like the Seme symbol. In the original version though, the tail
>  started at the lower end of the S, not at the upper, which lens much
>  more to the way one would naturally write it, and thus I would
>  prefer it that way. It also resolves the issue with the wiggle on
>  the upper right side of the current proposal.
>
> (And yes, I know, in the e- and a-circles it is the other way, but
>  here the writing flow commands it as well).

I'll try to create one like that when I have a mouse and a reasonably
sized screen available again (currently on my netbook).

Patrick.

On 2009-11-23 11:15 UTC Denny Vrandecic wrote:
> I like the Dandylion idea, so I tried to clip art it a bit.
>
> Both logos would obviously need a brush up and be brought into the
>  right format, but I hope the idea is clear.
>
> <http://simia.net/bilder/dandysquare.png>
>
> <http://simia.net/bilder/dandyround.png>

I really like the round version! If you provide me with the SVG, I put
some Seme symbols in the circles, or in the middle maybe? ;)

Patrick.